Gibson Brands Forums

J-160e pot resotation and knob removal

Joe B

Just bought a 55 J-160e. The volume and tone pots are loose and stiff to turn. The tone pot seems to spin on the pot. I am hoping to resurrect the pots with some spray, but may need to replace them. My big issue is how do I get the knobs off without damaging them of the finish of the guitar? Any tips? Thanks.

JoeB, Its a delicate process,to not crack an old knob or damage the top. I would use a rag and wrap the knob. Then place a thin piece of wood on the top(of guitar) on each side of knob. Use two spoons to leverage and alternate upward pressure on each side(a rocking motion) to pry it up and loose.

If you are lucky you won,t crack the edge or shaft hole of the knob and not divot the top of your guitar.

If I were you, after getting the knobs off, I would drop the wiring harness from the guitar and see whats really happening with the pots. Unless you have "gorilla arms", you should be able to get the pots and jack back into their respective holes through the soundhole(strings removed).

Oh Yeah....and there is this....

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Electronics,_pickups/Knob_and_Bushing_Puller.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=766

I hope this made sense....Good Luck, Rod

On trick I used to change out the wiring harness on my Gretsch 5122 (tiny F holes) is to slide fish tank air hose through the pot hole in the guitar then attach the hose to the pot shaft inside the guitar (for the Gretsch I ran the tube back out the F hole for this) then pull the hose back through the hole to center the pot and pull it back through the top. Works like a charm.

Watch this video for a demo on how to use the air tubes.

(look at 5:28)

Archived