Gibson Brands Forums

Blues bound!!!!

onewilyfool

I've re-arranged my 3 ring binder, taking all the true blues and blues genre songs out for their own binder. I am dedicating this year to re-learning all the blues songs I learned and forgot, and the ones I wanted to learn, but never did. Yesterday, I "re-learned" "Nature Boy" by Eden Ahbez (just beautiful chord progressions), and " BRING IT ON HOME TO ME", the Sam Cooke classic. So, I guess I'm entering my "blue" period like Piccaso....lol....wish me luck!!!!!

Let me know what blues songs you are working on!!

Good idea OWF! Blues is pretty much where I,m at... these days(for years). Bring It On Home to Me is one that I do with a WHOLE lot of SOUL. Love that song. I also love 'Crash on the Levee(down in the flood)'...Dylan. Also 'Don,t Let me be Misunderstood'..Eric Burdon.

Got to get me one of them there 'recording devices' and post to the Gibby forum in the new 'performance' threads(that came about from maybe 3 people "pissing a b*tch".... :-({|=

Well, I am still trying to get my fingers to do what I want them to do on Blind Boy Fuller's "Truckin' My Blues Away." There is one section of that tune which I just can't seem to play right more than two times in a row.

Also still putzing with the Gospel tune "Hold Onto God's Unchanging Hand" trying to get it where I want it to be.

Here it is - or at least the version of it arranged by Ry Cooder for the film "The Long Riders."

I'm working on fingerpicking older, country blues types stuff, like Mississippi John Hurt (Ain't Nobody's Business, Funky Butt) and Blind Boy Fuller (West Coast Blues, That'll Never Happen No More) and similar stuff these days. For me, this is pretty challenging stuff (well, Funky Butt is pretty darn simple) but it's a lot of fun and every tune I learn makes the next one a bit easier. I also do a bit of more strummed, chord-based stuff like Luke Jordan's Cocaine Blues and San Francisco Bay Blues, which are a bit of a break from the tougher fingerpicking. It's all great fun.

I'm working on fingerpicking older, country blues types stuff, like Mississippi John Hurt (Ain't Nobody's Business, Funky Butt) and Blind Boy Fuller (West Coast Blues, That'll Never Happen No More) and similar stuff these days.

"That Will Never Happen No More" is a Blind Blake tune. Good song to learn to get a handle on Blake's thumb slip.

Here are the clips of the above songs.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAQE-tHjPAc

OWF, While those are very polished 'original versions' of those songs, they are not to my taste or style to play. I lean to the more gritty and raucous side of blues. I consider Nature Boy more of a easy listening jazz standard. A very polished one. Great musicians!

Good luck on learning them, Rod

Yeah....I blues them up in my versions.......I think all roads lead to the blues...

OWF, While those are very polished 'original versions' of those songs, they are not to my taste or style to play. I lean to the more gritty and raucous side of blues. I consider Nature Boy more of a easy listening jazz standard. A very polished one. Great musicians!

Good luck on learning them, Rod

I just started learning "Snake Farm" by Ray Wylie Hubbard. I am leaning towards more blues lately myself.

OWF, are you inspired by that new guitar to pick the blues?

I've been playing blues NON-STOP on that L-2!!!! Thanks for asking...it is the perfect guitar for blues.....I've found my holy grail....lol

Congrats Hoss.

Those little round soundhole archtops do ooze some serious Mojo.

I have been playing dem bluz as I please non-stop for a long time now and any guitar you play the blues on is a perfect blues guitar. OK, Taylors may be pushing it a bit. It can sound like a grand piano or a banjo in a trash can. Only requirement is it gotta be loud enough so as Rev. Davis once said, they can hear ya at the back of the church.

Congrats Hoss.

Those little round soundhole archtops do ooze some serious Mojo.

I have been playing dem bluz as I please non-stop for a long time now and any guitar you play the blues on is a perfect blues guitar. OK, Taylors may be pushing it a bit. It can sound like a grand piano or a banjo in a trash can. Only requirement is it gotta be loud enough so as Rev. Davis once said, they can hear ya at the back of the church.

Thats a good line by the Rev.... [lol]

"That Will Never Happen No More" is a Blind Blake tune. Good song to learn to get a handle on Blake's thumb slip.

You're absolutely right. And, for that matter, so's West Coast Blues. Sorry for the brain misfire there.

Archived