Gibson Brands Forums

Replacment volume pot for SG

Dougefresh91

Hi, everyone.

I just bought an Epiphone SG off ebay and the volume knob doesn't work. I really don't feel like shipping this back to Cali from Miami to return it so I'm hoping someone could tell me where to buy the correct replacement pot as well as instructions on how to fix this (or the wiring diagram I guess)? Im new to playing guitar but I can solder so I want to fix this myself. Any help is appreciated.

Also, when I tried searching the forum for this it kept telling me that my search words must be at least 3 characters long. So basically I can't search for any SG related topics? Kind of bizarre, unless I'm missing something? Thanks.

I just bought an Epiphone SG off ebay and the volume knob doesn't work. I really don't feel like shipping this back to Cali from Miami to return it so I'm hoping someone could tell me where to buy the correct replacement pot as well as instructions on how to fix this (or the wiring diagram I guess)? Im new to playing guitar but I can solder so I want to fix this myself. Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to the forum Dougefresh91, an SG has 2 volume controls and depending on the position you have the 3-way switch in determines which of the volume controls is active. If you have it set to Rhythm then the volume control closest to the bridge is active, alternately, if you have it set to Treble then the volume control closest to the edge of the guitar is the active one.

It could also be a loose wire, take the larger cover off the back and inspect it for loose wires, it's very rare that a pot fails to work at all.

Thanks. :-)

I didn't realize the pickups have separate volume controls. I've confirmed that both of them work as you described. However, its the knob with 'volume' written on it, next to the tone knob, that doesn't seem to be working. I've checked the wiring and nothing seems to be loose or disconnected. What's this knob for if theres already two volume controls? My Stratocaster has different knobs, so I may be missing something here. I hope I am because I love the guitar so far but I wouldn't have bought it if I knew there was something wrong with it.

I didn't realize the pickups have separate volume controls. I've confirmed that both of them work as you described. However, its the knob with 'volume' written on it, next to the tone knob, that doesn't seem to be working. I've checked the wiring and nothing seems to be loose or disconnected. What's this knob for if theres already two volume controls? My Stratocaster has different knobs, so I may be missing something here. I hope I am because I love the guitar so far but I wouldn't have bought it if I knew there was something wrong with it.

Each pickup has a volume and tone control, so if you look at the guitar face on with the headstock pointing towards the heavens, the top left is neck (rhythm) volume, the bottom left is the neck (rhythm) tone control, the top right is the bridge (treble) volume and the bottom right is the bridge (treble) tone control.

This is assuming it's a right handed guitar.

Thanks. :-)

There were a few models of Epiphone SG that had different control knob setups. Does yours have four knobs and a three way selector switch? The "standard" setup is two volume pots and two tone pots.

There were a few models of Epiphone SG that had different control knob setups. Does yours have four knobs and a three way selector switch? The "standard" setup is two volume pots and two tone pots.

That's correct, four knobs and a three way switch. Two unlabeled clear knobs and two black ones labeled volume and tone. The volume one doesn't seem to be working.

That's correct, four knobs and a three way switch. Two unlabeled clear knobs and two black ones labeled volume and tone. The volume one doesn't seem to be working.

All knobs should usually be consistent, I have a few questions:

1/ did you buy this 2nd hand or new?

2/ can you take some photos and post them (it would save the guesswork) as yours doesn't sound a standard setup to me.

Info how to post pictures is in the "DO-IT-YOURSELF" thread pinned to the top of the "Epiphone Lounge" section of the forum, it's the first entry.

EDIT: the info I posted above is correct for a standard 4 control setup.

What they said! What they said! [thumbup]

Yes, a couple of shots at least - one of the knobs from front, and

ESPECIALLY one or two of the control cavity clearly showing the entire

cavity so we can see the wires and where they are going.

Leave cover plate off cavity, as we are probably going to ask you to

visually inspect and gently tug on certain wires to verify good connection.

Do you have and can use a multimeter to check continuity/resistance?

What they said! What they said! [thumbup]

Yes, a couple of shots at least - one of the knobs from front, and

ESPECIALLY one or two of the control cavity clearly showing the entire

cavity so we can see the wires and where they are going.

Leave cover plate off cavity, as we are probably going to ask you to

visually inspect and gently tug on certain wires to verify good connection.

Do you have and can use a multimeter to check continuity/resistance?

Here's a few from the front. Sorry they're a little dark, but when I put the guitar under a light there's too much glare. Plus they're camera phone pics. I can't pull pictures off my DSLR from this computer, so it's the best I can do for now. I'll post a few shots of the guts in a minute. I appreciate the help from everyone.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/7939/20110101162125.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/1158/20101230195546.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2785/20110101162059.jpg

Here's a few from the front. Sorry they're a little dark, but when I put the guitar under a light there's too much glare. Plus they're camera phone pics. I can't pull pictures off my DSLR from this computer, so it's the best I can do for now. I'll post a few shots of the guts in a minute. I appreciate the help from everyone.

There's the problem, your guitar has non standard knobs, the one with Volume written on it is actually a tone control, the layout I described in Post #4 is the correct layout for that guitar.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/7939/20110101162125.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/1158/20101230195546.jpg

20110101162059.jpg

The problem is that the pot labeled "volume" is actually a tone pot. Both of the labeled pots are tone pots, and the unlabeled ones are volume knobs.

Upper right is neck pickup volume, lower right is bridge pickup volume, upper left is neck pickup tone, lower left is bridge pickup tone.

The clear ones definitely work as the pickup volumes like RaSTuS originally stated, and the tone knob does change the tone, but the knob labeled volume does nothing. I've turned them up, down, changed the switch position every which way, but it still does nothing. Here's some pics from the inside.

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/4523/20110101163433.jpg

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7821/20110101163500.jpg

This guitar was won on ebay for $173. I contacted the seller a couple hours ago asking them what I could do to fix this, but have not heard back yet. I'm sure I'll hear back eventually as the seller was super friendly and even refunded me $5 for overcharging me on the shipping. Plus I really love this guitar so far and really don't want to return it unless this is going to be an expensive fix. Sounds way better than the strat and it's more comfortable to play with my large fingers.

The clear ones definitely work as the pickup volumes like RaSTuS originally stated, and the tone knob does change the tone, but the knob labeled volume does nothing. I've turned them up, down, changed the switch position every which way, but it still does nothing. Here's some pics from the inside.

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/4523/20110101163433.jpg

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7821/20110101163500.jpg

This guitar was won on ebay for $173. I contacted the seller a couple hours ago asking them what I could do to fix this, but have not heard back yet. I'm sure I'll hear back eventually as the seller was super friendly and even refunded me $5 for overcharging me on the shipping. Plus I really love this guitar so far and really don't want to return it unless this is going to be an expensive fix. Sounds way better than the strat and it's more comfortable to play with my large fingers.

Yes, those are definitely both of the tone pots. You can see the capacitors.

Here's how things are usually arranged.

Dougefresh91_20110101162059_annotatedScaled.jpg

Well done RaSTuS,

Dougefresh.

If the guitar does not work the way in RaSTuS's photo then something has been changed.

I've looked at the wiring but epiphone's wiring is always a mess.

You say you can solder?

If you just desolder and redo with new wire it would only cost the price of the wire.(a couple of bucks)

If you test the pots when they are with out wire you can tell if any are bad.

If you had to replace one it would only cost a couple of bucks.

If it comes to that you just need to take care with the bridge ground wire as it is fragile and important.

The pickup wires are obvious.

Willy

Yes, those are definitely both of the tone pots. You can see the capacitors.

+1

It's difficult to trace the wiring from that pic, especially with all the wires bunched together with that wire tie.

Here's a wiring diagram, ignore the colour scheme, just trace the wires, they should be similar.

LINK HERE

Here's how things are usually arranged.

OK, I get it now. I was having a stupid moment, I guess. The neck tone is very subtle and because I rarely use the neck only pickup setting I guess it felt like it wasn't working. Plus I was expecting it to work the way the volume knob on the Strat works. Why they would label a tone knob volume is beyond me. I appreciate the help.

One more concern I have is that the jack for the input cable on the front of the guitar keeps coming loose. I have the right angle cable in there so it moves back and forth when I play standing and I guess it keeps cranking the nut loose. Is this pretty normal? If it gets loose enough will it come apart? I've only tried finger tightening the nut at this point, but if someone tells me it's OK to use a wrench I'll try that. I just don't want to break anything because I have no clue how delicate this piece is.

OK, I get it now. I was having a stupid moment, I guess. The neck tone is very subtle and because I rarely use the neck only pickup setting I guess it felt like it wasn't working. Plus I was expecting it to work the way the volume knob on the Strat works. Why they would label a tone knob volume is beyond me. I appreciate the help.

One more concern I have is that the jack for the input cable on the front of the guitar keeps coming loose. I have the right angle cable in there so it moves back and forth when I play standing and I guess it keeps cranking the nut loose. Is this pretty normal? If it gets loose enough will it come apart? I've only tried finger tightening the nut at this point, but if someone tells me it's OK to use a wrench I'll try that. I just don't want to break anything because I have no clue how delicate this piece is.

Looks like whoever owned it previously ran out of knobs on an upgrade or something similar, it's not how they come new.

Tighten the jack with the wrench, make sure to hold the jack from the cavity side while tightening the nut so it doesn't spin and twist the wires off.

Congrats....sounds as if all is well.

I do tighten mine with a wrench but only to a point of snug.

Best to hold the jack from the back side so it does not twist and break the wires.

Might also surround it with tape so that you don't scratch the finish accidentally.

Just take your time.

RaSTuS...You must type faster than me....LOL

By the way...Your switch ring says Rhythm and Treble.

If you use it correctly it would say Rhythm and Tremble. [rolleyes]

Willy

Looks like whoever owned it previously ran out of knobs on an upgrade or something similar, it's not how they come new.

Tighten the jack with the wrench, make sure to hold the jack from the cavity side while tightening the nut so it doesn't spin and twist the wires off.

Oh, haha. That at least makes sense. Thanks for the help, everyone.

For the jack nut, you could put a little loctite on it to keep it from spinning loose in the future. I use the blue loctite. Don't use the red, or you'll never be able to remove it when you want to.

Some people use a dab of nail polish on the nut and jack threads. I prefer the loctite.

Archived