Gibson Brands Forums

Where do you hound-dogs live?????

onewilyfool

Greetings from the bay area!!! I live about equal distance from San Jose, CA, and San Francisco, CA. We can claim to be home of the 2010 S.F. Giants Baseball World Champions!!! Best Guitar shop in the area has to be Gryphon Stringed Instruments, in Palo Alto, CA., followed by Schoenberg Guitars in Tiberon, just North of S.F. If you can't find a guitar you like at these two stores, you are just tooooo picky. Another Favorite is Guitar Showcase in San Jose. They have a wonderful section with Vintage guitars, that would make you drool. Most are the owner's private collection, and are not for sale, but fun to see anyway. I would say, that we live in the "Mecca" of the acoustical Guitar world. In addition to that, we have the Healdsburg Guitar Festival, held every two years, and the MARIN Vintage Guitar show held twice a year at the Marin County Center. If you have G.A.S., THIS is the place to be.....lol. In addition to tha I can drive to the ocean in 35 minutes, and to the Sierra Mts. in about 3 hours. Great restaurants, great weather, and a great acoustic guitar community. Lots of jams, open mics, and great support for GAS-oholics....lol. Welcome to my world.....where do you hound-dogs live?????

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings from the bay area!!! I live about equal distance from San Jose, CA, and San Francisco, CA. We can claim to be home of the 2010 S.F. Giants Baseball World Champions!!! Best Guitar shop in the area has to be Gryphon Stringed Instruments, in Palo Alto, CA., followed by Schoenberg Guitars in Tiberon, just North of S.F. If you can't find a guitar you like at these two stores, you are just tooooo picky. Another Favorite is Guitar Showcase in San Jose. They have a wonderful section with Vintage guitars, that would make you drool. Most are the owner's private collection, and are not for sale, but fun to see anyway. I would say, that we live in the "Mecca" of the acoustical Guitar world. In addition to that, we have the Healdsburg Guitar Festival, held every two years, and the MARIN Vintage Guitar show held twice a year at the Marin County Center. If you have G.A.S., THIS is the place to be.....lol. In addition to tha I can drive to the ocean in 35 minutes, and to the Sierra Mts. in about 3 hours. Great restaurants, great weather, and a great acoustic guitar community. Lots of jams, open mics, and great support for GAS-oholics....lol. Welcome to my world.....where do you hound-dogs live?????

Shoot.... if I didn't know better, I'd think you were my next door neighbor!

I live where you live.... about equal distance between SF and SJ, (in the East Bay).

Hey all! I live in Rockingham,North Carolina. It's about 65 miles east of Charlotte and about 150 miles from the Outer Banks. We're probably best known for the Nascar race track here just outside of town. Stock car racing is a religion down here in my neck of the woods. Darlington is about an hour south of here. I grew up here in Carolina. Been here all my life except when I left for the Navy in the '70's. Then I was in Jacksonville, Florida when the Southern rock explosion happened. That was THE coolest time and THE place to be at that time! (like San Fransisco in '68!) Anyway, I'm just an ol' country boy who loves to pick 'n' grin. I play in a bluegrass band, which is probably the most satisfying gig I've ever done! I mean, some SERIOUS pickin'!!! All the acoustic instruments are just killer! Me and some of my other musician friends still get together and play the classic stuff. And I still get out occasionally and do a solo gig at some of the local deli/bars here in town. I still enjoy those quite a bit because I can get my "Neil Young" fix on! (plus some classic acoustic rock songs) Down South here, I can be found on a summer night on the tailgate of my truck, at the river with friends by a campfire, pickin' on my ol' Gibby! Yes, this country-boy can and will survive! [wink]

Hey all! I live in Rockingham,North Carolina. It's about 65 miles east of Charlotte and about 150 miles from the Outer Banks. We're probably best known for the Nascar race track here just outside of town. Stock car racing is a religion down here in my neck of the woods. Darlington is about an hour south of here. I grew up here in Carolina. Been here all my life except when I left for the Navy in the '70's. Then I was in Jacksonville, Florida when the Southern rock explosion happened. That was THE coolest time and THE place to be at that time! (like San Fransisco in '68!) Anyway, I'm just an ol' country boy who loves to pick 'n' grin. I play in a bluegrass band, which is probably the most satisfying gig I've ever done! I mean, some SERIOUS pickin'!!! All the acoustic instruments are just killer! Me and some of my other musician friends still get together and play the classic stuff. And I still get out occasionally and do a solo gig at some of the local deli/bars here in town. I still enjoy those quite a bit because I can get my "Neil Young" fix on! (plus some classic acoustic rock songs) Down South here, I can be found on a summer night on the tailgate of my truck, at the river with friends by a campfire, pickin' on my ol' Gibby! Yes, this country-boy can and will survive! [wink]

Sounds idyllic.... and when you read your post, it almost sounds like a song!

Another North Carolinian here, but I'm up north a bit in Chapel Hill. I've lived in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Tennessee, and for the past 32 years, here in North Carolina which I now consider home. I played a bit of guitar back in college, took up bluegrass banjo for a while (with not much success) when I lived in Nashville, played Irish traditional music on concertina and mandolin, and came back to guitar about 3 years ago. During the mainly-mandolin phase of the journey, I became interested in the wide range of mandolin styles and acquired some interesting old instruments, some going back to 1897. Of late, I've been trading off mandolins for guitars and have gotten some nice instruments as a result.

My musical tastes are fairly eclectic but I guess lean toward folk styles. I flatpick Irish tunes (an unusual style for flatpicking) and fingerpick Piedmont blues. I also strum old 60's rock from time to time and try to figure out the odd song that gets stuck in my head. Although I've been a Gibson owner since the early 80's, they've all been mandolins. I have my eye on an SJ-200 in the spring, though and have been working on learning more about Gibson flat-tops. My other guitars are all quite different (Bourgeois slope dread, Goodall grand concert, Santa Cruz 000, and Guild 12-string). The Guild jumbo 12-string got me hankering for a jumbo 6-string, only with maple back and sides (my Guild is rosewood). Guilds are nice 6-strings but I think the right Gibson would be even nicer.

So, that's my story, here in central North Carolina. I look forward to reading everyone else's.

Another North Carolinian here,

Also representing North Carolina [thumbup] , I've lived in Asheville since 2004. I originally hail from the Chicago area (Go, Cubbies!) but finished high school (and more) in the Great State of Wisconsin. Left Milwaukee (Go, Brewers!) the day after Christmas,1986, and headed for Texas (first Austin, then Dallas- Go, Rangers!) and stayed put for 17 or so years before I striking out for the mountains of Western NC.

Guess I've had myself a few addresses [scared] , but this current stop suits me just fine, and I don't see pulling up anytime soon.

I'm on the Southern tip of Illinois, so far down I can see the Ohio River from my kitchen window. Or front yard. Or back yard. I played the "Surfside" in Clearwater Beach Fla. at age 12 and was gigging 3 nights a week making $25.00 per night in Apache Jct. Az., at age 17 drinking beer and smoking cigarettes.

Gave up the cigarettes 3 years ago TODAY and quit drinking 10 months ago.

I've gigged all of my life playing Classic Rock when it was new, and Classic Country when it was Hank but am on hiatus now working on a solo acoustic project and learning the mandolin and banjer at the same time which was a really stupid idea.......

I,m holding down the northeast corner of North Carolina currently in Aydlett. I have lived in the area(30 mile radius) for most of my life. We are near the Outer Banks...a coastal resort....(Kitty Hawk,Nags Head,Kill Devil Hills,Cape Hatteras, Wright Brothers, etc.)....As far East as you get....next land is Bermuda!

Did a stint in Oklahoma City for 3 years in my early 20's, where I traded in my 'boomdockers' for a pair of Tony Lamas' and some disco boots [laugh] and got to know some David Alan Coe,Jerry Jeff Walker, Waylon and Willie etc....

Came 'back home'....a lot wiser [unsure]

I have had the same 'day job' for 30+ years, but do guitar and amp repair out of my home workshop for enjoyment and a 'side hussle'.

Jes Sayin'...if your in the area and need a repair.... [smile] Rod

Normally I live in a larger Northern European city - in this phase I'm on some kind of remote 'acoustic island' where the theme is to sink deeper into different stuff. That how there's time for the frequent Forum-visits and the reason these concentrated experiments with various guitars takes place. It's a self-chosen state of being - has nothing to do with booze nor drugs or 'broken legs' - and is meant to last a year. 6 month in by now and still up'n'rolling, , , or should we say down'n'flowing.

Admit it's a rather lucky, even strange or otherly situation, then again guess it's deserved - and maybe just in the cards. Won't describe details, but there is a reason I ended my first posts here signing them 'the acouStic moNk'.

I simply have unplugged my way into a 6-string exile.

Presently Northern New Joisey. About 18 miles west of the Empire State Building in NYC.

About 35 minutes from the Joisey shore (in winter), it's about 3 hours to the shore in summer.

Lark Street Music in Teaneck, NJ is about the nicest place around here for Vintage.

Robbie's Music in Wayne, NJ has a nice selection of new gear.

Grew up in (Astoria Queens) in NYC.

Years ago spent alot of money in Manny's, Terminal Music and other stores on musicians' row.

Looks like on or around Jamuary 17th I'll be exchanging my NY/NJ accent (due to lack of a job)

for a Houston, Texas drawl and a new job. The only place I know of down that way is Fullers.

But exploring is more than half the fun.

Lark Street Music in Teaneck, NJ is about the nicest place around here for Vintage.

Been looking at that square shouldered 64 SJ from Lark Street since summer, even posted a pic of it here. Got my own 63 in the meanwhile, but when I revisited for another look recently, I saw that the one their site was exchanged. Same guitar, same burst, same year and so, but another ex. (if my hawk eyes don't fail me).

Well mine is a little too dry and porous sounding in the high area. In fact it's under humidifying treatment as I speak, to see if I get a bit more body to the ultra thin lightweighter. Apart from that it's a lovely old Gibson, holds a marvellous bass and has a lot of soul in there.

Did you try the one in Lark St. and if you did, how was it ?

I live in Abita Springs Louisiana.......it's about 40 miles or so north of New Orleans which is where I resided until about 6 years ago. Abita is a cool little town , with lots of old south charm although it is surrounded by some regular old suburbs. We have raised houses with big front porches usually appointed with some old rocking chairs or porch swings. In the center of town is a restored pavillion with a little stage, concerts are held there in early fall and the spring. We have an old fashioned town hall that hosts the Abia Opry, which features all types of roots music like bluegrass, country, Zydeco , gospel , etc. We have 2 luthiers that have formed the Abita Springs Guitar company, they build custom acoustics in the vein of pre-war Maritns, this is also where I take my guitar for repairs. If I knew how to insert a link I would , but I encourage ya'll to google Abita Guitar Company and let me know what you think. And........oh yeah, it IS the place where they make Abita Beer. The brewery is just blocks away from my house..............happy new year and bottoms up!

Prague, Czech Republic. Beer captal of the world. Enough said. :-)

Not forgetting the home of FURCH!

I live in North Wales (U.K.), just outside the very little town of Holywell. From this high point you can look out across the river Dee, over the Wirral and the Mersey, and look straight into Liverpool, (Home of the band who changed everything!) which is about 15 miles away as the Crow flies.

As for guitars and guitarshops it`s a bit of a waste land, although we have Frailers in Runcorn, who carry a good range of new/semi vintage acoustic guitars.

Steve.

Normally I live in a larger Northern European city - in this phase I'm on some kind of remote 'acoustic island' where the theme is to sink deeper into different stuff. That how there's time for the frequent Forum-visits and the reason these concentrated experiments with various guitars takes place. It's a self-chosen state of being - has nothing to do with booze nor drugs or 'broken legs' - and is meant to last a year. 6 month in by now and still up'n'rolling, , , or should we say down'n'flowing.

Admit it's a rather lucky, even strange or otherly situation, then again guess it's deserved - and maybe just in the cards. Won't describe details, but there is a reason I ended my first posts here signing them 'the acouStic moNk'.

I simply have unplugged my way into a 6-string exile.

E minor you have always been the mysterious one. Here, you sound like Captain Kurtz from Apocalypse Now and we need to send Martin Sheen to look for you !!!

Yes, ideed the home of Furch. And best of all their main Prague dealership is a 5 minute drive from my place ..:-)

Not forgetting the home of FURCH!

I live in North Wales (U.K.), just outside the very little town of Holywell. From this high point you can look out across the river Dee, over the Wirral and the Mersey, and look straight into liverpool, (Home of the band who changed everything!) which is about 15 miles away as the Crow flies.

As for guitars and guitarshops it`s a bit of a waste land, although we have Frailers in Runcorn, who carry a good range of new/semi vintage acoustic guitars.

Steve.

Been looking at that square shouldered 64 SJ from Lark Street since summer, even posted a pic of it here. Got my own 63 in the meanwhile, but when I revisited for another look recently, I saw that the one their site was exchanged. Same guitar, same burst, same year and so, but another ex. (if my hawk eyes don't fail me).

Well mine is a little too dry and porous sounding in the high area. In fact it's under humidifying treatment as I speak, to see if I get a bit more body to the ultra thin lightweighter. Apart from that it's a lovely old Gibson, holds a marvellous bass and has a lot of soul in there.

Did you try the one in Lark St. and if you did, how was it ?

Sorry E-minor... I didn't. I played a couple of Guild 12 strings a 78 g212nt

and an older g212 dark sunburst one he doesn't show in inventory.

I also played the circa '49 J-45 just to compare it to the new one my son and I liked at a local GC (very comfortable feel and great sound- even at my playing capabilities).

My son tried a few hollow body electrics (Kays, Epis, ES175D-for $4250, he loved it-).

He's looking for a "jazz" guitar he can "piddle" with- without plugging in..

Our "visit" was cut short as last Sunday was the beginning of the blizzard here.

It's only a 20 minute ride, usually, but on the day after Christmas with a snowstorm active

driving in NJ was insane.

That place is one of the very few things I'll definitely miss if/when I leave NJ.

Archived