Gibson Brands Forums

I feel my playing is really starting to progress

Kimbabig

In the past few weeks I've noticed my playing has started to started improving again. I've been practicing complicated fingering, string skipping, and the dreaded "sweep pick". My playing is also cleaning itself up and I've been making much less mistakes in my playing. I'm still far from mastering it, but I feel that my playing is really starting to change for the better.

Well on the downside, there is no hope for my vocals, I recorded some over some tracks I made an d oh god they were terrible, Tried some Doors Covers, Cream, Deep Purple, all were the worst singing I'd ever heard, I must have spent 5 minutes laughing at myself.

Do you contribute your increase in skill with a steady practice regimine, or did you just break a plateau?

Also.... your voice is an instrument, too... the more you ppratice the better you get :D!

I feel my voice is always better in recordings than to my own ears, not sure why.

But definitely it takes practice, and find stuff in your range too, my falsetto is alright, but listening to other people its terrible. I have terrible lower range though.

Just practice, it will get better

Do you contribute your increase in skill with a steady practice regimine, or did you just break a plateau?

Also.... your voice is an instrument, too... the more you ppratice the better you get :D!

Well I do practice everyday, but I feel I'm starting to "get" it. It just seems like I'm enjoying playing it and I reached the epiphany that, I play for myself, I don't give a damn what other people think of it, and this has really given my playing a new energy.

I also am trying to work on my vocals, but they need a lot of work.

... It just seems like I'm enjoying playing it and I reached the epiphany that, I play for myself, I don't give a damn what other people think of it, and this has really given my playing a new energy...

That's the ticket right there! I know some folks practice a lot, and that's cool. For me once you start talking

about a practice regimen and stuff like that, I'm out. That sounds like actual work. [biggrin] Just play. Play often,

and work on trying to express yourself via your instrument (and your voice). It may be merely semantics, but I

never call playing music practicing.

I found that, for leads, it was a plateau. One night it just clicked and I could make runs up and down the neck. Getting my tight rhythm riffs back has been a bear... requiring lots of "practice".

I do vary some when I play, and try to spend some time each session working on scales and licks. Mostly, though, I just play.

Like Surf said "I make crap up" :D

Archived