Gibson Brands Forums

CJ-165 (No Cutaway)

Hype

I've always been a sucker for the J-200, Hummingbird and Dove acoustics. When I think of the Holy Trinity of Gibson acoustics these three are what comes to my mind. Anyways, back in 2009 I had a chance to play on I guess a new line of acoustic the CJ-165 (I'm not really sure if it was a new model of guitar, but I assumed it was cos I never heard or seen that model before). Anyways, it played like a charm, I would say it's the J-200's little brother or cousin. Great tone, but not as big.....

Did Gibson discontinue this model? If so why? I can't find it on the website. The only one I found was the J-165 EC Rosewood. Is this the same guitar with a single cutaway?

Hype

Yes the "classic" CJ-165 has been discontinued. The Acoustic/Electric model that is available is designed to be plugged in, I can't say I have tried the A/E version to compare with my CJ-165 so I don't know how it would compare when playing unplugged.

My understanding is that the CJ-165 is a shrunk down J-185

8b4884b4-b34f-4a0d-8b7e-0693ec998807.jpg

I guess people are getting sick of my posting the picture of mine in every CJ thread that comes along.... oh well...here it is again! [thumbup]

Picture024.jpg

I guess people are getting sick of my posting the picture of mine in every CJ thread that comes along.... oh well...here it is again! [thumbup]

I hear ya. I've spent more time posting pics of mine than actually playing it. Never warmed up to it for some reason.

cj165front.jpgcj165back.jpg

I hear ya. I've spent more time posting pics of mine than actually playing it. Never warmed up to it for some reason.

cj165front.jpgcj165back.jpg

Why didn't you warm up to it? It's such a beautiful guitar.......Love the pics guys......keep posting.....We'll be lucky if we come across these models again......They are rare now right? Maybe collector's items?

Did Gibson discontinue this model?

Yes. But, if you want one, you can have a dealer order you one. "Discontinued" just means it's not on the current list of standard models, not that they're unavailable. Every model ever built in Bozeman is still available (subject to availability of parts and materials, of course).

-- Bob R

• 2 weeks later...

These are great guitars and I truly hate to part with mine. But I've decided to buy a guitar for each of my 2 kids to get them into the guitar scene. If you're interested, please check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300518750844

I've always been a sucker for the J-200, Hummingbird and Dove acoustics. When I think of the Holy Trinity of Gibson acoustics these three are what comes to my mind. Anyways, back in 2009 I had a chance to play on I guess a new line of acoustic the CJ-165 (I'm not really sure if it was a new model of guitar, but I assumed it was cos I never heard or seen that model before). Anyways, it played like a charm, I would say it's the J-200's little brother or cousin. Great tone, but not as big.....

Did Gibson discontinue this model? If so why? I can't find it on the website. The only one I found was the J-165 EC Rosewood. Is this the same guitar with a single cutaway?

Hype

It is correct the non cutaway is discontinued. I don't know why perhaps it is in competition with the Blues King,

I can only guess.

I have played both, the non cutaway seems louder and certainly more comfortable, no contest IMHO. I see they come up on E Bay now and again and go for big money, tells you something! Unless you play 14fret plus all the time on acoustic search the market for a non cutaway 165.

• 4 weeks later...

Main difference between j165 and the 185 is the flame maple neck (like J200"s) ,ebony fretboard and abelone soundhole inlay. Oh yeah! they are a little smaller than the 185 but much "brighter" too , Then I can only speak for the maple back model I guess the rosewood one would be quite lively. Sorry for late post. :-"

Archived