Gibson Brands Forums

Post your Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman?

Searcy

I own a 1990 Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean, which was the first year of that model. Same red finish as your Country Gent, 16 frets clear of the body, 25.5" scale, 1.5" width nut, ebony fretboard with offset dots, 3 piece maple neck, silver pickguard, silver truss rod cover, no armrest (later models had a black pickguard, trc, & armrest). In many respects somewhat similar to the Country Gent, and of course this was by Chet's design. I've always been partial to skinnier necks, but for some reason this thing is a breeze to play. I also own a 335 & 339, and the Tennessean compares very favorably while being significantly different. Imho, these two Gibson CA models are real sleepers.

Saw and heard a guy playing a Tennessean about a year ago and I was GASsing hard for one. Fortunately, I passed GAS for it. I'd still like to have one, but that is way down the road if it ever happens.

As far as the Gibson version...Nice Guitar, no doubt! Although, I never could figure

out, why they didn't bind the neck, on that model. Was that at "Chet's" request??

I noticed Lester didn't have a bound neck on most of the "Les Paul Recordings" he played. The one I owned was bound. I'm going to say these guys liked binding LESS as they got older.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a 1989 Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman earlier this year. I was really looking for a 335 or a 175 but once I played the neck on this guitar I knew it was for me. I'm not a finger style picker or anything but when it comes to tricky chord work and arpeggios I sometimes have trouble of a standard neck.

For a guitar production that ran for 15 years it's surprising how tricky is can be finding information on this guitar. There's nothing out there with yearly changes. Some of the information I have found is just plain wrong from looking at my guitar. For example the center block is not "chromite" (balsa wood), it's maple.

Anyway, Do you have one of these fantastic guitars?

CACG25.jpg

Searcy, I have a 2002 Country Gentleman which I ordered from Gibson. I looked and called everywhere I could think of to try to get one in my hands to play prior to ordering, but to no avail. Chet's music got me interested in playing, and I'll admit, I bought it primarily because of that. I was single then, and actually had money. They are difficult to find and there is very little info on them on the net compared to other more common guits. I have never seen one in a store. Mine is Sunrise Orange and I ordered it through a store in Minneapolis (10 hrs away from me but got a good enough price to justify the trip, and my brother lives there anyway). What is difficult to get through in a picture is the beautiful quilted maple; this along with the Sunrise Orange hue makes it really pop. I always get oohs and ahhs when I open the case. Waited 14 months to get it and it came with the standard Bigsby vs the Chet style Bigsby which I thought I had requested. Waited so long that I didn't mess with sending it back. I ordered it around the time they were switching the archtop production from the Nashville factory to the Memphis factory. They blamed the delay on that, but my guitar serial number indicates it was made in Nashville; however, my case says Gibson Memphis. Black lined case vs. the bright pink with the cover cloth like the older models came with. Great sounding guitar, but I have to admit the neck is probably a touch wide for my hands. I paired it with a 2002 Fender Pro Tube Pro Reverb. As far as the Gretsch vs Gibson CG arguments you always hear; a dear friend of my family has a '58 Gretsch 6120 original everything, in pristine condition. I've played it, and I'd pick it over my CG if I had the choice. Considering its worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 10x more if I had to venture a guess, I'm not sure anyone wouldn't. But I love my CG. Its a wonderful guitar. See below for pic of the CG. Edit: I'll post a pic of the Gretsch if I can find one.

post-31960-054123800 1301018569_thumb.jpg

post-31960-055508700 1301018162_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks Husker, That is a fantastic looking top on that Chet. The big long neck is actually what sold me on this guitar. If I had a complaint it would be weight and upper fret access.

Searcy, I don't know whether you are referring to neck width or physical access at the cutaway regarding your comment on upper fret access. The slim taper neck gets wide (& thick) pretty quickly as you go up the fretboard. Of course, if my hands were as big as Chet's were, it wouldn't be a problem. For me, it isn't that much of an issue because I don't go that high on the neck very often. However, it is definitely not a guitar for shredders. I've never really thought of the weight as an issue; I guess it just feels more substantial to me which I take as a plus. Must be the maple center block that makes it heavier than many of the other hollow bodies.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I've been looking for any info on the CG that I could find. I really enjoy playing my CG. It has a great tone, particularly when paired with a little Fender reverb. If I had any complaints, it would be that I'm wearing the finish off the corner of my bridge because I rest the heel of my hand there playing fingerstyle (I guess it adds character). The other would be I'm always a little paranoid I'm going to gouge or mar the finish. I have a 2 year old to keep away from it as well.....she loves music and is always curious.

Searcy, I don't know whether you are referring to neck width or physical access at the cutaway regarding your comment on upper fret access. The slim taper neck gets wide (& thick) pretty quickly as you go up the fretboard. Of course, if my hands were as big as Chet's were, it wouldn't be a problem. For me, it isn't that much of an issue because I don't go that high on the neck very often. However, it is definitely not a guitar for shredders. I've never really thought of the weight as an issue; I guess it just feels more substantial to me which I take as a plus. Must be the maple center block that makes it heavier than many of the other hollow bodies.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I've been looking for any info on the CG that I could find. I really enjoy playing my CG. It has a great tone, particularly when paired with a little Fender reverb. If I had any complaints, it would be that I'm wearing the finish off the corner of my bridge because I rest the heel of my hand there playing fingerstyle (I guess it adds character). The other would be I'm always a little paranoid I'm going to gouge or mar the finish. I have a 2 year old to keep away from it as well.....she loves music and is always curious.

I'm really a pick style rock player and soloing up high can be tricky with the Chet. I have a Gibson SG for that sort of stuff though. I wanted the Gibson CG after playing it in a store and realizing how much better my arpeggio work was with the wide neck. I have big hands and fat fingers and have spent most of my life as a bass player so I'm used to a little room between the strings.

The gold is off of the Bigsby arm as you can see in the pictures. I put strap locks on it as soon as I bought it but I keep this baby in the case when I'm not playing it.

What sort of string do you use on yours?

I'm really a pick style rock player and soloing up high can be tricky with the Chet. I have a Gibson SG for that sort of stuff though. I wanted the Gibson CG after playing it in a store and realizing how much better my arpeggio work was with the wide neck. I have big hands and fat fingers and have spent most of my life as a bass player so I'm used to a little room between the strings.

The gold is off of the Bigsby arm as you can see in the pictures. I put strap locks on it as soon as I bought it but I keep this baby in the case when I'm not playing it.

What sort of string do you use on yours?

I use the standard Gibson brite wires; 10-46; any other suggestions? My hands are average sized at best, but my fingers are skinny; needing more room isn't an issue; reach can be. I flat pick and fingerstyle; have lots of room for improvement with both styles.

The thickness of the CG's neck can hinder me from wrapping my thumb around the top in certain chord positions. Its a little easier to do on my flattop. I've changed strings up on my flat top and tried all sorts of different stuff but have never been adventurous on the CG. I typically use a medium gauge D'addario bronze string on my Washburn flat top, as it sounds too tinny with the lighter gauge.

And my CG definitely stays in the case as well when I'm not playing.

The CG was smiling Bob Smith's guitar of choice when the Cure were going through their happy phase in the 1990s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96yNiNu5xE0

In black of course, though I seem to remember seeing him with a sunburst one in one film.

Yours are rather nicer looking, I must say, chaps. Love cherry in any case, Searcy, but always thought that the sunrise orange was this model's stand-out colour, Husker...

Glad you've found others who play the same model. I note that the semis section is a bit slow, partly because most of us play different models (I've not encountered anybody else here who plays a Howard Roberts, though they're not necessarily all that rare). But then even the 335 players don't pipe up very often. Perhaps they're too happy playing their instruments.

The secret to playing fast up the neck on semis like this is to do like the jazz guys and get your thumb out from behind the neck and rest it in front of your fingers. Even on the HR with its deep, 'easy access' cut-away, the heel is just too fat to allow serious playing high up the neck with the thumb resting on the back of the neck. Playing without the thumb support takes some getting used to, and you can't play riffs and scales in exactly the same way as you would on a 335, SG or LP, but it sort of frees you up and does allow some faster playing. I grew up playing like this on classical, but less often and less fast than electric playing might call for, and it still needed practice when I got the HR.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the Cure post. I've decided that since I can't find much info out there about the Gibson CG I'm gonna post what ever I manage to find right here.

I have to say that I have noticed that the figure in the tops got a lot nicer in the 90's and 2000's. The ones from the 80's rarely have any figure at all. If I could pick a color I think it would be the white one that Chris Isaak is playing up there.

I've been working on the thumb move for upper fret access. Still got a lot to learn though.

Guitar Legend Duane Eddie like the Gibson Country Gentleman guitars and had the Gibson Custom Show build a few for him with some unique featured like dynasonic pickups and a piezo bridge.

He lost them all in the May floods last year and donated them to auction for flood relief.

• Upvote 1

Guitar Legend Duane Eddie like the Gibson Country Gentleman guitars and had the Gibson Custom Show build a few for him with some unique featured like dynasonic pickups and a piezo bridge.

He lost them all in the May floods last year and donated them to auction for flood relief.

Does his have a deeper body? Looks that way.

I think it is. It might be more like an es350. The neck doesn't look as wide either. Maybe I'm off the mark in calling it "Chet" based.

So hard to see everything that's going on with the less common semis (harder to make out bout size on a big jazzer than a long pickguard on a 335). But shorter scale length on that neck too? Similar outline to the Chet, though, and that whammy.

PS. It was a revelation to me that Scotty Moore's squeeze in recent years is a customized Chet - I'd seen him with it on a documentary or two, and never noticed how shallow it was. Too busy looking at the fingers tailpiece, I think.

It's a reissue copy from Atkins' period as a Gibson endorser.

Hi Bobouz, you are correct. Gibson reissued a limited number of L10's but I'm not sure when. I bought it about 3 years ago from a guitar collector. It's in perfect condition and has hardly been played. I find the guitar a real go to guitar as it's got a great neck and plays like an electric guitar with a wonderful loud archtop sound. I absolutely love it. It's also really well made by Gibson.

If you google Gibson L10, a Gibson press release on this guitar shows up. It indicates that before Atkins obtained his original L10, it was special ordered from Gibson by Les Paul to include the fingerboard extention. Neat stuff!