Gibson Brands Forums

Post your Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman?

Searcy

If you google Gibson L10, a Gibson press release on this guitar shows up. It indicates that before Atkins obtained his original L10, it was special ordered from Gibson by Les Paul to include the fingerboard extention. Neat stuff!

No kidding? I have his book "Me and my guitars" where he talks about the L10 guitar a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture of a one off natural finish Gibson Country Gent with an L-5 neck.

p4_ugba1pype_ss.jpg

Here are the specs on it.

•Year: 1999

•Manufacturer: Gibson

•Model: Chet Atkins Country Gentleman

•Case: Original Hard

•Color: Natural

•Condition: Mint

•Description: ULTRA RARE BIRD!

This is the ONLY natural finish Gibson Custom Shop Chet Atkins Country Gentleman in existence. It's uniqueness is further enhanced by the fact it is also the only Country Gentleman made with an L-5 style neck and finished to this level of exquisite detail. The highly figured top, back, sides and neck are stunning... photographs simply cannot do it justice.

The guitar comes with a letter from the Gibson Custom Shop certifying that it is a one of a kind instrument.

This museum piece is not for the faint of heart! Call or e-mail for a price quotation, serious inquiries only please.

DETAILED SPECIFICATION:

BODY MATERIAL: Flamed Maple

TOP MATERIAL: Flamed Maple

BINDING: 7-Ply white - black/white

HARDWARE: Gold

TAILPIECE: Bigsby

BRIDGE: Floating ABR

PICKUPS: '57 Classic

NECK PROFILE: L-5 Scale with multiple binding

FRETBOARD: Ebony with block inlay

SCALE: 25.5"

TUNER: Gold Schaller with crank

CONTROLS: Three-way toggle switch

PICKGUARD: Multibound Tortoise

FINISH: Natural

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-33900-012954700 1308265237_thumb.jpg

Sorry if it sounds a bit off-topic, but I have a Gibson Country Gentleman made in 1990 on sale... if someone is interested in buy it or could advise me about a sale price, that would be very helpful.

All the best,

Marco

• 5 months later...

I've been reading tons of posts since I got my Gibson CG. Many say the Gretsch is the superior guitar. This is from Chet Atkins: Me and My Guitars, Page 142:

The second guitar Gibson built for me was the Country Gentleman. We were able to use that name because I owned it. I'd written and recorded the song by that name back in the early 50's before I signed with Gretsch so that name was always mine.

The first Gibson Country Gentleman was built in 1981 by Jim Hutchins, one of Gibson's top craftsmen. The Gibson factory was still up in Kalamazoo at the time, and Paul Yandell and I went up there to give them some input. I was impressed with their attitude. Rather than having to convince them about certain details of the guitar's design, like I had always had to do with Gretsch, the Gibson crew went all out to make sure I was happy with the instruments that were going to carry my name. The Gibson CG was built sturdier than the Gretsch, and had the advantages of newer technology, so I think it's a better guitar overall. A few years later, I think it was in 1985, I gave the original Gibson CG that Hutchins built to Paul.

For me, that settles it. Chet himself said the Gibson was a better overall guitar.

• Upvote 1

Gibson also built a sunburst version of that blonde CG/L-5:

022db92c.jpg

Danny W.

Now THAT's a nice guitar, IMHO. All the appointments, befitting it's heritage. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Eight years ago I asked Gibson to quote on making that same guitar for me. When I saw the price I lost interest, but it is a beautiful-looking guitar.

Danny W.

• Upvote 1

I've been reading tons of posts since I got my Gibson CG. Many say the Gretsch is the superior guitar. This is from Chet Atkins: Me and My Guitars, Page 142:

The second guitar Gibson built for me was the Country Gentleman. We were able to use that name because I owned it. I'd written and recorded the song by that name back in the early 50's before I signed with Gretsch so that name was always mine.

The first Gibson Country Gentleman was built in 1981 by Jim Hutchins, one of Gibson's top craftsmen. The Gibson factory was still up in Kalamazoo at the time, and Paul Yandell and I went up there to give them some input. I was impressed with their attitude. Rather than having to convince them about certain details of the guitar's design, like I had always had to do with Gretsch, the Gibson crew went all out to make sure I was happy with the instruments that were going to carry my name. The Gibson CG was built sturdier than the Gretsch, and had the advantages of newer technology, so I think it's a better guitar overall. A few years later, I think it was in 1985, I gave the original Gibson CG that Hutchins built to Paul.

For me, that settles it. Chet himself said the Gibson was a better overall guitar.

I read that book and the quote. Good stuff. Welcome to the Gibson Forum TeamKramer. What year is your CG?

Eight years ago I asked Gibson to quote on making that same guitar for me. When I saw the price I lost interest, but it is a beautiful-looking guitar.

Danny W.

Well, I'm sure "Gibson's Attitude" toward Chet's requests/needs, was a major factor,

because they built, exactly, what he wanted! And, at the time, Gretsch's quality was

"spotty!" I think, seeing (and owning) the newer (Japanese made/Fender owned) Gretsch

guitars, that the "build quality" would be equal to Gibson's, to say the least. Even so,

they are voiced very differently, in type/approach, from Gibson's.

CB

• 3 months later...

Man oh man!!! I love those things. I've got a bunch of Gibby's (L5, LPs), and two Gretsch (6122-1959 & 6120). I'm a HUGE fan of Chet, and all I'm playing is fingerstyle.

I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of those. The problem is I've only seen them on ebay. Never in person. Tough to think about buying something you've never seen in person like that from somebody you don't know. Of course, if somebody on this forum is looking to sell one I might consider it. I'd have more trust for you guys. Keep me in mind.

• Upvote 1