Gibson Brands Forums

Post your Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman?

Searcy

Man oh man!!! I love those things. I've got a bunch of Gibby's (L5, LPs), and two Gretsch (6122-1959 & 6120). I'm a HUGE fan of Chet, and all I'm playing is fingerstyle.

I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of those. The problem is I've only seen them on ebay. Never in person. Tough to think about buying something you've never seen in person like that from somebody you don't know. Of course, if somebody on this forum is looking to sell one I might consider it. I'd have more trust for you guys. Keep me in mind.

It's always good to be cautious but for what it's worth I have bought 6 guitars on Ebay, Parker Fly, Strat 12 string, Strat 1997 special edition, PRS McCarty, PRS Artist 1V and a Godin LGX-SA. I've never been let down. Just make sure that the seller has loads of positive feedback and is preferably living in the same country as you.

Good luck in your hunt for a Chet Atkins but I think you might have to wrench it from someones cold dead hand [biggrin]

• Upvote 1

I have to tell you that I would not have bought the Chet had I not been able to play it first. At one point through swapping and trading and buying cheap stuff in junk stores I ended up with over 100 stomp boxes. I decided to sell them and use the money to buy a really nice guitar. Something I would never buy otherwise. I tried stuff from Ric and Gretsch and some new Les Pauls and was almost set on a new Gibson Dark Fire when I walked into my local shop and they had this 1989 Chet used on the wall. I wasn't that interested in it but I played it just to see what it was like. The neck blew my mind. It is literally like no other guitar I have ever played. It's nothing like a Gretsch. It's nothing like a 335. It's just amazing. I'm thinking of getting a Gibson Tennessean in a few years for the better fret access and the stop bar.

CACG22-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have to tell you that I would not have bought the Chet had I not been able to play it first. At one point through swapping and trading and buying cheap stuff in junk stores I ended up with over 100 stomp boxes. I decided to sell them and use the money to buy a really nice guitar. Something I would never buy otherwise. I tried stuff from Ric and Gretsch and some new Les Pauls and was almost set on a new Gibson Dark Fire when I walked into my local shop and they had this 1989 Chet used on the wall. I wasn't that interested in it but I played it just to see what it was like. The neck blew my mind. It is literally like no other guitar I have ever played. It's nothing like a Gretsch. It's nothing like a 335. It's just amazing. I'm thinking of getting a Gibson Tennessean in a few years for the better fret access and the stop bar.

...So, when you do get that Tennessean maybe you'll be selling the CG? Seriously, email me if you do. :)

• 2 years later...

I thought I would update this post with something I think I have figured out. The guitar pictured below is was built in late 1989. You may notice that the switch has been moved to the upper bout.

Late89chet__zps0120c029.jpg

Contrast that with my own 1989 Chet and I think we can say that the switch was moved in mid 1989.

IMG_1906_zps37a90dc7.jpg

• 5 years later...

post-100070-006700200 1557070598_thumb.jpg

1989 Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman w/OHSC Highly Moddified by Hot Rod Hargis

I received this wonderful guitar with a lot of shipping damage along with years of abuse so...

She got some mods....

Has Mojo wear on the gold plating with some checking , scratches and scuffs on front & back.

Body size at lower bout: 17". Scale length: 25 1/2" Nut Width: 1 3/4" Body depth: 1 3/4"

Cosmetic Condition: Very Good, Various minor nicks, chips, dents & dings; surface scratches & some finish wear with some buckle rash

through the finish to the wood on the back.

There's a professionally repaired headstock crack that is stable with no movement & does not affect playability or sound quality, original owners children

said it was repaired by Gibson in Nashville, Nice job!

Moddified by Hot Rod Hargis 1/1/19

Gold Bigsby vibrato tailpiece with custom Fixed Chet handle;

Gold arm rest

Twin volume, master tone and master volume controls;

Custom Made coin barrel knobs; 3 way p/u control switch.

Mud Switch;

Reversed Contact 3 way Toggle, north toggle .047 Audio Capacitor

south toggle .022 Audio Capacitor

Middle, switch bypass.

Varitone 6 position Rotary Switch, shortening,

Position 1, .001 NOS Vintage Ceramic Capacitor

Position 2, .01 NOS Vintage Ceramic Capacitor

Position 3, .015 NOS Vintage Ceramic Capacitor

Position 4, .022 NOS Vintage Ceramic Capacitor

Position 5, .033 NOS Vintage Ceramic Capacitor

Position 6, .047 NOS Vintage Ceramic Capacitor

Redundant ground wires.

I just love how it turned out, sounds and plays like a dream. I may have to keep this one

post-100070-063978200 1557070583_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2011 at 5:57 AM, Searcy said:

I understand. I played a few of the Gretsch's Country Gentleman guitars before I bought this one. There's no comparison. This guitar has a wider neck and thinner body. It feels a lot like a wide neck 335. Someone who loves the Gretsch would hate this guitar. For my hands I think it may be the finest guitar Gibson ever made.

Here's a better picture of this one.

DSCN0716.jpg

On 1/6/2011 at 5:57 AM, Searcy said:

I understand. I played a few of the Gretsch's Country Gentleman guitars before I bought this one. There's no comparison. This guitar has a wider neck and thinner body. It feels a lot like a wide neck 335. Someone who loves the Gretsch would hate this guitar. For my hands I think it may be the finest guitar Gibson ever made.

Here's a better picture of this one.

DSCN0716.jpg

640071553_ScreenShot2019-06-17at3_31_58PM.png.dd6e114ef571eadf1e1ebd0f411c136f.png

Here is another Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman with "L-5" neck.  The dimensions of the neck are like those of the original CG, however the binding, the head stock, the flower pot, mother of pearl layout on the fret board and head stock are some of the custom features.  Also, the inside of the guitar as viewed from the f-holes was painted black.

It sounds like a dream.

Edited by DJR

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 8:42 AM, MHargis said:

post-100070-006700200 1557070598_thumb.jpg

1989 Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman w/OHSC Highly Moddified by Hot Rod Hargis

I received this wonderful guitar with a lot of shipping damage along with years of abuse so...

She got some mods....

Has Mojo wear on the gold plating with some checking , scratches and scuffs on front & back.

Body size at lower bout: 17". Scale length: 25 1/2" Nut Width: 1 3/4" Body depth: 1 3/4"

Cosmetic Condition: Very Good, Various minor nicks, chips, dents & dings; surface scratches & some finish wear with some buckle rash

through the finish to the wood on the back.

There's a professionally repaired headstock crack that is stable with no movement & does not affect playability or sound quality, original owners children

said it was repaired by Gibson in Nashville, Nice job!

Moddified by Hot Rod Hargis 1/1/19

Gold Bigsby vibrato tailpiece with custom Fixed Chet handle;

Gold arm rest

Twin volume, master tone and master volume controls;

Custom Made coin barrel knobs; 3 way p/u control switch.

Mud Switch;

Reversed Contact 3 way Toggle, north toggle .047 Audio Capacitor

south toggle .022 Audio Capacitor

Middle, switch bypass.

Varitone 6 position Rotary Switch, shortening,

Position 1, .001 NOS Vintage Ceramic Capacitor

Position 2, .01 NOS Vintage Ceramic Capacitor

Position 3, .015 NOS Vintage Ceramic Capacitor

Position 4, .022 NOS Vintage Ceramic Capacitor

Position 5, .033 NOS Vintage Ceramic Capacitor

Position 6, .047 NOS Vintage Ceramic Capacitor

Redundant ground wires.

I just love how it turned out, sounds and plays like a dream. I may have to keep this one

post-100070-063978200 1557070583_thumb.jpg

Selling; https://reverb.com/item/24235656-1989-gibson-chet-atkins-country-gentleman-w-ohsc-highly-mod-ed-by-hot-rod-hargis-play-now-pay-later

• 2 years later...
On 5/1/2011 at 12:41 PM, Searcy said:

Here is a picture of a one off natural finish Gibson Country Gent with an L-5 neck.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/searcystringworks/Gear/p4_ugba1pype_ss.jpg

Here are the specs on it.

•Year: 1999

•Manufacturer: Gibson

•Model: Chet Atkins Country Gentleman

•Case: Original Hard

•Color: Natural

•Condition: Mint

•Description: ULTRA RARE BIRD!

This is the ONLY natural finish Gibson Custom Shop Chet Atkins Country Gentleman in existence. It's uniqueness is further enhanced by the fact it is also the only Country Gentleman made with an L-5 style neck and finished to this level of exquisite detail. The highly figured top, back, sides and neck are stunning... photographs simply cannot do it justice.

The guitar comes with a letter from the Gibson Custom Shop certifying that it is a one of a kind instrument.

This museum piece is not for the faint of heart! Call or e-mail for a price quotation, serious inquiries only please.

DETAILED SPECIFICATION:

BODY MATERIAL: Flamed Maple

TOP MATERIAL: Flamed Maple

BINDING: 7-Ply white - black/white

HARDWARE: Gold

TAILPIECE: Bigsby

BRIDGE: Floating ABR

PICKUPS: '57 Classic

NECK PROFILE: L-5 Scale with multiple binding

FRETBOARD: Ebony with block inlay

SCALE: 25.5"

TUNER: Gold Schaller with crank

CONTROLS: Three-way toggle switch

PICKGUARD: Multibound Tortoise

FINISH: Natural

Hello is the guitar still for sale. If so what is the price? You can contact me by email  sj006637@gmail.com

Here is a picture of a one off natural finish Gibson Country Gent with an L-5 neck.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/searcystringworks/Gear/p4_ugba1pype_ss.jpg

This is the ONLY natural finish Gibson Custom Shop Chet Atkins Country Gentleman in existence. It's uniqueness is further enhanced by the fact it is also the only Country Gentleman made with an L-5 style neck and finished to this level of exquisite detail. The highly figured top, back, sides and neck are stunning... photographs simply cannot do it justice.

The guitar comes with a letter from the Gibson Custom Shop certifying that it is a one of a kind instrument.

This museum piece is not for the faint of heart! Call or e-mail for a price quotation, serious inquiries only please.

DETAILED SPECIFICATION:

DETAILED SPECIFICATION:

Hello is the guitar still for sale. If so what is the price? You can contact me by email  sj006637@gmail.com