Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Zakk Wylde

Hehawkiller

Hello all. I recently fell in love with the Zakk Wylde bullseye guitar, and since i cannot afford a real Gibson one, i was looking at the Epiphone series, and have been well aware of the counterfits around. My local music store has one in stock, but i am very weary about buying it, since the selecter knob actually has the rhythm and treble plate. They assure me it's genuine, but i have never seen one with the switch plate there, all the real ones i see don't have it. The guitar has been there for about 3 years, and i was wondering if anyone knows if the plate was ever there, or if they have always not had one.

You say it has been in the shop for 3 years.

Is it new or used?

If it is new I would still want to see the paperwork.

Zakk Wylde guitars have been and are highly counterfeited. If it is new the store should be an authorized Epi dealer.

If it is used you better know what you are looking at. I would not take a salesman's word on it.

There is everything from logo positioning on back of headstock to correct knob and ring position. Epi headstock logo, binding intersection at nut, truss rod cover size, screw placement in trc, gold EMG logo on pickups, wiring and pots inside the cavity, proper shielding paint in cavity and under pickups, correct washer size on tuners and several other things I can't even recall right now. Not to mention some of the fakes are made from Glit. (glue and sh*t)

Not to be offensive, but are you sure you are that well studied?

A look at MF would have answered your switch ring question:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Zakk-Wylde-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar-BullsEye?sku=518358

Although frankly, I do not question their products. I do sometimes question their photos.

Notice that the full body shot shows the ring. The angle shot does not.

Just my opinion,

Willy

Interesting.

Last I remember, they don't seem to have the washer.

Then, reading Willy's post it got me thinking that maybe I was wrong.

So, I decided to check.

Epiphone's website for the LP in question shows the guitar without the washer.

Additionaly, Thomann's website also shows the LP without the washer.

However, in both cases, they are in Antique Ivory whereas the MF picture looks more like Alpine White (the text does say Antique Ivory, though).

Like Willy says, I do question their photos as well but Thomann has never let me down and Epi's website should show the real deal, right?

Anyway, again, as Willy said, if you are going to an authorised Epi dealer, you should be fine.

Hehawkiller,

By the way, Welcome to the forum!

Upon reading Xaj's replay and a little reflection on the subject I got to thinking about the obvious.

If it is used and the dealer is respectable ask him if you can take some pictures.

Take pics of the headstock, front and back.

Take pic of the body.(straight on)

Email pics to Gibson customer service with a simple inquiry as to authenticity.

You can also post them here....(Can never have enough opinions)

Willy

Hehawkiller,

By the way, Welcome to the forum!

Upon reading Xaj's replay and a little reflection on the subject I got to thinking about the obvious.

If it is used and the dealer is respectable ask him if you can take some pictures.

Take pics of the headstock, front and back.

Take pic of the body.(straight on)

Email pics to Gibson customer service with a simple inquiry as to authenticity.

You can also post them here....(Can never have enough opinions)

Willy

Thanks Willy. It is a "new" guitar, but someone I know that is actually a student there, said it's been sitting there for about 3 years. Now, he might be wrong, and the guitar could have been sold and another replaced it. But the fact that Epiphone website, and many other websites all show that the guitar does NOT have the treble/rhythm plate, nor should a "real" one have it, makes me question the authenticity of the guitar. I did call the store and placed my concern, and the guy got rather offensive, and assured me there to be no problem in proving it's a authentic, even said he'd go as far as calling his guy at Gibson Canada to verify for me. What made me suspicious is that he said "well...the plate can come off!" I don't think I trust this, and i will somehow get pictures to have Gibson verify. Putting down $1400 is alot of money to me...especially in this economy...and I know that people will do ANYTHING in this economy to make a $1.

So upon further investigation, Gibson sent me an e-mail stating that no Zakk Wylde has ever left production with a toggle washer in place...which is bringing me closer and closer to the truth. I will be going into the store today to take pictures of this guitar, and once gibson has verified the guitar to be genuine or non genuine, i will make my decision. I am wondering though....if it is indeed a fake...and they are an authorized dealer...think i could get a bunch of **** for REAL cheap just so i keep my mouth closed?

If the dealer got all offensive and rude when you are simply trying to do your homework and make sure you are getting the real deal, personally I would take my business elsewhere regardless of the guitar's authenticity.

+1

Totally agree, seems to me that dealer doesn't deserve your business.

If the dealer got all offensive and rude when you are simply trying to do your homework and make sure you are getting the real deal, personally I would take my business elsewhere regardless of the guitar's authenticity.

True dat!

Just the fact that he got aggressive when asked about the authenticity gives it away for me. He should have been bending over backwards to produce the paperwork proving its authenticity to get that thing out the door...especially after three years. Its unlikely that a real ZW LP would sit on a shelf for that long.

Plan B

Forget the snake in that store as advised above...............and why not reconsider on the ZW while you're at it. It's just an overpriced LP Custom, IMO.

In my view this is a far superior instrument for the same price...........I've checked a well known Canadian chain and found it for $899 CDN:

lg_eglcemebh.jpg

24 frets & the necks on these things are supposedly to die for......plus just look at the spec on this link:

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/7405/Guitars/Electric/Epiphone/Prophesy_Les_Paul_Custom_Explorer_with_EMGs_-_Midnight_Ebony.htm

Alan

Thanks guys for the input, and thx AlanH for the link to that very nice looking LP, but however...it's the ugliness of the ZW i fell in love with...and i must have it. I would gladly take my business elsewhere, except they are the only one in town that has a great selection of everything music wise. The closest place decent to me is 3 hours away, so it's not a matter of getting in my truck and driving down the street. I tried to take some pics with my phone, but they didn't turn out so well, and i can't see them just letting me stand there to take pictures with my digi to prove that it's real...they'll get offended, most likely, and i would feel very uncomfortable. I think i'm going to have to go down there and just tell them the way it is...cause no matter what "they" think...I KNOW that no real ZWBE has EVER had a toggle washer.

Archived