Gibson Brands Forums

Power condensor?

Silenced Fred

So when I turn the lights on and off in my room, it creates a ridiculous amount of hum through my amp. No other items are plugged into that certain outlet.

Would a power condensor help with this or not?

So does it only hum for a second when you flip the switch or does it keep humming when the lights are on or off or both. Are the light's florescent? Power condenser might help (wouldn't hurt ) If the amp has a polarity switch change the switch setting, if none of those work try a ground lift adapter. ( An adapter your 3 prong plugs into and converts it to two prong) You probably knew that but just making sure. If it keeps humming........ Teach it the words! Blah ha ha !

Andy

I have the same problem. It's really annoying. I have a regular light with a dimmer on the same outlet. In the dimmer modes it's really noisy but with the light all the way on it's not that bad.

I have a little hum in my friends garage too. I don't think it's the lights though. We use christmas lights with only green and blue bulbs in. Cool colors.

So does it only hum for a second when you flip the switch or does it keep humming when the lights are on or off or both. Are the light's florescent? Power condenser might help (wouldn't hurt ) If the amp has a polarity switch change the switch setting, if none of those work try a ground lift adapter. ( An adapter your 3 prong plugs into and converts it to two prong) You probably knew that but just making sure. If it keeps humming........ Teach it the words! Blah ha ha !

Andy

They are all plugged into different outlets, and yeah they are fluorescent I think. Like the energy saver bulbs or whatever. It stays on while the lights are on. I really noticed it because it got bad with the fuzz factory and I made it sound like a NASCAR track in my room lol

I'll probably go to the hardware store tomorrow and ask, and if they don't know, then I'll go to SamAsh.

Thanks!

Energy saving lamps, fluorescent strip lights and dimmer switches are all bad for noise so they're best avoided in the room where you play. Also check the earth is good on your amp power cable and the multi power cable if you use one. Try different power outlets, some can be worse than others depending on what's on the same circuit.

Same problem with those bulbs, power strips don't help, hum busters don't work, change them, play in the dark or by candle light so I changed them.

That's what I'm gonna do. I have one lamp that runs really quiet actually as it turns out, so I'll just use that one.

Thanks, I was worried it might not help, and you guys saved me money!

Same problem with those bulbs, power strips don't help, hum busters don't work, change them, play in the dark or by candle light so I changed them.

That's what I'm gonna do. I have one lamp that runs really quiet actually as it turns out, so I'll just use that one.

Thanks, I was worried it might not help, and you guys saved me money!

Archived