Gibson Brands Forums

EJ160e acoustic strings gauge?

Dodgermod

I like using the recommended strings Gibson SEG-900ml even though I don't plug it into an amp and only play acoustically. But if you set on using acoustic strings I would recommend either D'Addario EJ26 Phosphor Bronze Custom light or EXP26 Coated Phosphor Bronze Custom Light Acoustic Guitar Strings.

thanks folks - have a set of D'Ad PB 11s that I bought for another guitar - will try those (and I think the humbucker picks those up better than ordinary bronze as well so might try it plugged in as well!)

The EJ-160E comes from the factory according to Epi specs with 11-52 electric strings installed. (.052, .041, .030, .019, .014, .011)

Faded......

thanks folks - have a set of D'Ad PB 11s that I bought for another guitar - will try those (and I think the humbucker picks those up better than ordinary bronze as well so might try it plugged in as well!)

The pick-up only performs properly with electric strings.

The pick-up only performs properly with electric strings.

The pick up works just fine with phosphor bronze strings. I use Gibson Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze 12's on my EJ-160E and Gibson J-160E Standard.

On the other hand, I use nickel Gibson L-5 12's on my Gibson J-160E Peace, which has true 60's specs (like ladder bracing and a laminated top, so it's not much of an acoustic and more a true electric guitar in the first place).

Red 333

• 2 years later...

The pick up works just fine with phosphor bronze strings. I use Gibson Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze 12's on my EJ-160E and Gibson J-160E Standard.

On the other hand, I use nickel Gibson L-5 12's on my Gibson J-160E Peace, which has true 60's specs (like ladder bracing and a laminated top, so it's not much of an acoustic and more a true electric guitar in the first place).

Red 333

how do you like the gibson masterbuilts i have been using daddario chrome 12-52 and they are kinda dead acousticly i want to try the masterbuilts see what they sound like

how do you like the gibson masterbuilts i have been using daddario chrome 12-52 and they are kinda dead acousticly i want to try the masterbuilts see what they sound like

Hi. I use elixir 80/20 nanoweb lights (.12--.53) on my three Masterbilts. But they will work well with other strings as well. Elixirs have a LONG life, and sound very nice...but then, Masterbilts sound VERY NICE as you already know!

Archived