Gibson Brands Forums

old epiphone

Old Rebel

I'm new to the forum; having registered in hopes of finding someone out there who can help identify an older model Epiphone solid body guitar. While at a friends house about 1993, I was given a guitar that he was going to throw away. It had been his nephew's, who had played it in a band, but he had no other information on it. It's in excellent condition, and I've been playing it for the last few years. It actually plays better than another model Epiphone that I have. I have not been able to find anything from the Gibson or Epiphone sites, It has a serial number 343861 stamped on the back of the neck up by the tuners. Can anyone provide any information, or where I may find more information, on this guitar. I'd very much appreciate any information.

Old Rebel

Hey, Reb!

I ran that serial number through Guitar Dater and came up with bubkis ... not entirely unusual on that site, especially with older instruments.

What's chances of getting a couple of pictures posted. Then you'll start to see/hear some results!

Jim

Rebel, that appears to be a 1960's Epiphone Olympic. Probably a model SB722 Cherry Finish produced between 1966 and 1969.

The 2011 Vintage Guitar Price Guide shows them valued at between $750 and $1,050 depending on condition, but you should check completed sales on eBay for a real-world price (if you care about such things).

Yours looks to be in 90% to Excellent condition according to the Blue Book of Electric Guitars grading system. Of course that's just from the photos, you'd need to take it to someone in person for a real evaluation.

Here's more info: http://www.vintagegu...honeOlympic.php

PS, nice guitar, hang onto it.

PPS, there was also a run of them made in Japan between 1977 and 1979 that are worth considerably less.

Thanks, Brian......I appreciate the info very much. It is in very good shape, although I think it is missing a piece down by the bridge. I think it's called a whammy bar, but not sure of that; not that knowledgible about guitars (newbie there as well). If it worth that much, guess I should get that replaced. I'm not interested is selling it,,,,,was just wanting to know something about it. Thanks again.

Old Rebel

Nice guitar, Rebel!

Here's a thread from last May on the MLP Forum. This poster says he picked up his SB722 from a Guitar Center for $350! Why can't I fall into deals like this?

Funny how the vibrola arms all seem to shed on these things, huh?

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-gibsons/91600-back-door-gibson.html

Jim

Wow.......GIVEN a classic American made Epi, that was gonna be tossed away.......

why can't I have your luck Reb?

some folks on this forum would barely stop shy of KILLING for that guitar [biggrin] .

you can probably get a whammy bar on ebay, or by google-ing "vintage guitar parts".

good luck, and great score!!

[crying][crying][crying]

WHY, LAWD - WHY?????? Where's MINE?????? Is there something in the local

water supply that makes folks throw away guitars?

DANG!

Great Score!!!! We LOVE Vintage guitars around here, especially free ones. [thumbup]

No doubt! I hear of people trash picking guitars all the time, yet I never find any. And I look all the time. The most I've found is an old Tama tom drum shell. [unsure]

But yeah, awesome score. Congrats!

It's amazing what people throw away. My father works at a recycling center and in the past year he has brought home a 1964 Silvertone tube amp, a 1973 Fender Deluxe Reverb amp, and a BC Rich Warlock guitar with active EMG 81/85's in a Coffin case. The only thing I can think of is that maybe someone thought the amps didn't work because the tubes were all blown. The battery for the EMG's in the cavity was dead. so I guess someone thought it didn't work either. Anyway, Both amps have been retubed and cleaned and they work perfectly. I think the guitar got sold for $400 or something.

Archived