Gibson Brands Forums

Broadway Vs. Emperor Regent

Dr. Queue

I've been playing both Electric and classical guitar for four years or so... closer to five, but the point is that recently I've really gotten into jazz and I can't decide between a Broadway and a Regent (I'm playing on a Fender Jaguar and an Ibanez Artcore AFTDG... blah blah blah). For what it's worth my biggest influences are the immortal Django, and Charlie Christian. Please give me your opinions, thanks.

I've been playing both Electric and classical guitar for four years or so... closer to five, but the point is that recently I've really gotten into jazz and I can't decide between a Broadway and a Regent (I'm playing on a Fender Jaguar and an Ibanez Artcore AFTDG... blah blah blah). For what it's worth my biggest influences are the immortal Django, and Charlie Christian. Please give me your opinions, thanks.

I have had a Broadway and a Joe Pass. I liked the Joe Pass much better than the Broadway for playing as the Broadway's body was very thick and I found it difficult to manage. I had played a large acoustic for years and therefore I was surprised that I found the Broadway feeling this way to me. As far as sound, they were similar, the Broadway is slightly woodier. Both guitars well made and sounded great for the price.

You really need to try both of them out to see for yourself. They're going to sound different : The Broadway with it's 2 routed-in humbuckers versus the Emp Regent with it's floating pickup. It's been a few years since I tried these guitars but I recall the Emp Regent as having quite a bit more acoustic volume and tone than the Broadway. They're both 17" across the lower bout as far as I recall so they are large bulky guitars.

Archived