Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP Studio 60 Mahogany

btoth76

Hello guys! I am about to purchase this guitar.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Mahogany.aspx

I would like to hear Your opinions about Her. Please tell me how does it compare to regular Studios. What shall be the key points of attention about this instrument. How is the quality? Strength, weaknesses if any. Thank You! Bence

The blurb pretty well sums it up.

One thing which is mentioned; it has a weight-relieved body rather than the more usual (since '07) chambered style (if that matters to you at all).

Studios are very good instruments and great value. The limited nature of that version may make it more collectable for some.

Nothing bad to say about it at all, really.

P.

Thank You Pippy! Except for the obvious: the difference in weight, does the chambered and the weight-relieved differs much tone-wise? Bence

Some people find the chambered instruments have a little more 'sparkle' - a bit brighter perhaps - than the other body styles when played unplugged. Whether that comes through once the signal has been amplified has been - and will continue to be - debated for years. My own view is that they still sounded just like a Les Paul.

As far as the weight goes; personally speaking I found the chambered Standards I tried felt neck-heavy due to the relative lack of body-mass. I've played many weight-relieved instruments (I have a couple myself) and this has not been an issue. As the instrument you are asking about is weight-relieved then I would expect it to feel just like any other 'regular' Les Paul when worn on a strap.

P.

Without playing one, its hard to say. I did however have a Studio Worn Brown (VM), which is also a all Mahogany, so my thought are:

- It will have a slightly darker tone than the Standard Les Paul, as there is no Maple top to brighten it up. Not a necessarily a bad thing, but different.

- With no Chambering, I think the tone will be even darker than the VM

- I would have also thought the BB Pro`s would have been a better match than the 490`s, which is whey they were used on the other VM versions

- This represents exceptional value, so as long as you are getting the desired tone, go for it

I wish you all the best with your new guitar and as always, recommend you try before you buy.

Hello Yaff! Thanks for Your thoughts. It would be great if it had a darker tone - I prefer that kind of sound, probably that's why I use the neck pickups on my guitars most of the time.

Unfortunately the only shop that officially sells Gibson guitars in my country doesn't have this guitar in it's inventory - I had to preorder it just like to Tribute. Since They have a very good attitude towards customers, they won't force me to buy it if I dislike it after testing.

As far as the pickups are concerned, my plan is to modify this guitar. I will keep the bridge pickup - but will convert it to be able to split coils with a push-pull pot. The neck pickup will be changed to a Seymour Duncan P-Rail with Triple-Shot Switching mounting ring. Best regards... Bence

Archived