Gibson Brands Forums

NGD- J-45 True Vintage

bscha

Well it is finally here. I recently traded a couple of my Martins for a new J-45 True Vintage. I am thrilled to announce that I could not be happier. I bought a 2006 J-45 on a whim and it slowly became my go to guitar. After two and a half years of trying to find a J-45 TV (without luck) in my area, I finally ordered one through a dealer. The guitar came in on Monday. Right out of the box I was amazed and the appearance and set up of the guitar. It was near perfect for my style. The TV did sound a little tight when first brought up to pitch, but it has already seemed to bloom. The bass seems to keep getting richer and the balance is awesome. I guess that it takes a little bit for the wood to figure out that it is a guitar and not a tree. I can not wait to hear what this baby sounds like in several more years. The J-45 TV is the the best acoustic guitar I have ever played. Compared to my standard 2006 J-45 I would describe the sound to be smoother and more balanced. The J-45 TV has that dry woody sound that I love to hear in a Gibson. I actually like the vintage VOS style of finish. The color of the sunburst is slightly lighter than my 2006. The dark part of the burst has almost a dark brown chocolate color, rather than black. The upgraded rosewood on the neck and bridge is beautiful. The grain on the red spruce to is very tight in the center and then gets slightly wider towards the outside. I do have to agree with several other posts I have read and say that I think the case is not up to par with the rest of the guitar. Thanks to all of the forum members who have answered my questions about this guitar over the past couple of years. I really valued your input before I took the leap and buy one sight unseen (always scary). I could not be happier with this guitar.

post-10958-092777500 1294411650_thumb.jpg

Congratulations! I remember reading the thread you posted about buying a J-45TV without playing it first. I too have a J-45 (09) and I've been thinking about getting a J-45TV. I'd also have to order it sight unseen although the dealer will give my a 5 day approval. I have a question for you about the neck profiles on your J-45 and J-45TV - are they the same? I've been wondering if the neck profile on the TV is larger. My 45 has just absolute killer tone so a TV would really have to shine for me to forsake my J. It's interesting that you have the two together so you can make side by side comparisons.

Pickax - The neck profile between the 06 J-45 and the J-45 TV appear to be nearly identical, at least to my hands. I do not notice that the neck is any fatter on the TV. I can say that I much prefer the tone of the J-45 TV. I still plan to use the standard as my gigging guitar, due to the built-in pickup. However, that may change.

Pickax - The neck profile between the 06 J-45 and the J-45 TV appear to be nearly identical, at least to my hands. I do not notice that the neck is any fatter on the TV. I can say that I much prefer the tone of the J-45 TV. I still plan to use the standard as my gigging guitar, due to the built-in pickup. However, that may change.

Hey bscha,..what differences (bar the headstock logo) are there betweem your two j-45's?

I've just bought a '05 Historic and am super happy with it and have oftened questioned the huge difference in price of a TV...

Spotondrums - The difference between the historic or standard J-45 and the True vintage model include the following: Adirondack red spruce top and bracing (versus sitka spruce), vintage style wide "X" bracing pattern, hide glue and madagascar rosewood used on the fingerboard and bridge (compared to east indiana rosewood) and as you mentioned, the head stock logo. Compared to my standard 2006 J-45 the sound seems slightly brighter and smoother, with better overall balance. However, both of the guitars still have that distinct J-45 sound.

Mojorule- I do not currently have any type of recording set up to put out a sound bite, but it is truly a beautiful sounding guitar, at least to these ears.

Well it's always a happy occasion to welcome a new guitar to the forum, and to it's new keeper as well. And

to someone who already owns a J-45 [biggrin]. It'll be interesting to hear your observations when you get them both on

the same strings. I'm sure that new T.V. will develop a more defined bass once you log some hours on her.

Also- nice, mellow 'burst you got there. You're right about it seeming to be going to more of a choco-burst.

So, is it the camel-colored case w/ the sausage handle & the electric pepto-bismol-colored interior that you're not so

hot on? If so, I think that's a rock-solid beast of a case & just maybe...

Anyway, congrats on the new addition, & long may she run!

Congrats Bscha, I got mine at the end of November and I play her often as I can...;-). Mine was build at the end of October and has Bronze Strings (?!) on it. I don't know that Gibson have Bronze Strings... What Strings are on your J-45 TV?

Greets, Markus

Thats a real beauty...

Makes me miss my first Gibson, a J-45 Standard in Vintage Sunburst. At the time I bought it I was 23 and it was the only one I could afford and I felt it plain looking...and I wanted a fancy Hummingbird like my dads. I eventually sold it after a few years and now...

...I look back and think WHAT A BOZO!!

I love my SWD but I REALLY like the looks of the sunburst J-45s.

YEAH - i am thinking of buying a J45 TV - the only thing that puts me off is that they are so light and so I am suspect that they may not stand up to the test of time and dare I say, get cracks and hump easy! Surely not, but the bracing is lighter so surely that equates to it not being as strong?

Someone talk me round then please!

Ross

• 1 month later...

Hey Chris,...did you get yours from Thomann's? Looks to be the best price in the EU....

Sorry I only just noticed this.

No I got it from Bonners - http://www.bonnersmu...coustic_Guitar.

They were pretty much the same price, and I was thinking about getting finance, although didn't in the end. Anyway I've never imported a guitar and wasn't sure of all the tax implications!

Archived