Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Thunderbird strings and neck movement

Lexes

I have my Epiphone Thunderbird IV for a while now, and my strings are getting worn. So I need to get new ones. But I'm wondering, what are the standard strings on the Thunderbird IV, becouse I like them, usually I don't like the standard strings but I want to keep the same sound.

The second question is, I have been helping out another band, but that was in a cold garage. And with cold I mean around the 7°C. How will this affect my neck? Becouse I have the feeling that it has moved a bit. Can anyone give me some information about this or experiences? Is this normal? Or is this damaging for your bass?

Thanks for your help.

The stock strings are nickel-wound in .45,.65,.85,1.05 gauges. I recommend Rotosound brand. It's not what comes stock, but they're about 10 times better.

The cold temperature will make the wood in the instrument flex and move, but as long as you keep an eye on the truss-rod and make sure everything is adjusted correctly, then there will be no permanent damage.

Yep, and when dealing with extreme temperature changes, its always best to leave the instrument in the case to let it adjust slowly before taking it out to play. And if you live in an area with seasonal changes, you will have to make truss rod adjustments at least twice a year or you will end up with either high action or fret buzzing. Pretty common stuff.

• 1 month later...

If you get the chance to try a set of roto flats that someone may be throwing out they suit the Thunderbird perfectly. I bought a new set as I was going through an iron Maiden phase and I really can't see myself using anything else from now on. The tension is somewhere between D'addario Chromes and TIs and they sound clear as a bell.

Not a slapping string but the Thunderbird isn't an obvious slapping bass. They also work well if you use a pick. I didn't feel the need to turn up the higher end and that's through a 15" cab as well with no tweeter or mid driver

Archived