Gibson Brands Forums

Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson

Pauly1183

I find it strange that Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson of Thin Lizzy have not yet been acknowledged with Signature model Les Paul's. These two gentlemen played a huge part in making the Les Paul the guitar of choice for so many throughout the 1970's and today!

And with all of these reissue guitars being pumped out of the factory, I wonder if we'll ever see the Les Paul Deluxe again.

I find it strange that Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson of Thin Lizzy have not yet been acknowledged with Signature model Les Paul's. These two gentlemen played a huge part in making the Les Paul the guitar of choice for so many throughout the 1970's and today!

And with all of these reissue guitars being pumped out of the factory, I wonder if we'll ever see the Les Paul Deluxe again.

The Deluxe IMO is an excellent guitar with plenty of cut.

With atube screamer its awesome and can give my R9 a run for its money!!! (see my avatar)Yes I do gig this guitar!!!

Gorham and Robbo are probably my favorite guitar tandem. Best lineup in Lizzy period. [thumbup]

Unfortunately it seems like only the most popular names in the business get the recognition.

These guys sort of fell off the radar in the 80's while Gary Moore (yeah that guy again lol)

stayed in the spotlight and got his own sig LP.

I concur with the Deluxe... excellent axe!

oddly enough, it was only after gigging w/T.L. for a bit that Scott Gorham was able to afford a real Gibson......when he joined the group he was playing what he called a "second rate Les Paul copy".

AND he didn't really want the Deluxe the band bought him when he joined. According to Scott, he wanted a standard or a custom but they were too expensive...

"I was using a ’73 or ’74 cherry sunburst Les Paul Deluxe with mini humbuckers. I went to the first jam with this no-name Japanese Les Paul copy that was falling apart. When I got in the band, Phil said, “We’re going to have to buy you another guitar!” But there was a specific budget because the band was broke and in heavy debt. So buying that guitar was a pretty big coup. I was picking up Standards and Customs first, but they were too expensive. The price of the Deluxe was lower, so I tried a couple and picked out the one I really liked."

I read another interview where he discussed that the Deluxe wasn't really up to the playing they were doing as compared to Robbo's black custom. I'll see if I can find that interview as well.

Gorham and Robbo are probably my favorite guitar tandem. Best lineup in Lizzy period. [thumbup]

Unfortunately it seems like only the most popular names in the business get the recognition.

These guys sort of fell off the radar in the 80's while Gary Moore (yeah that guy again lol)

stayed in the spotlight and got his own sig LP.

I concur with the Deluxe... excellent axe!

mr moore could outplay them two even without strings on his guitar...no comparison [-(

mr moore could outplay them two even without strings on his guitar...no comparison [-(

This is what I get after all those "Gary rocks" replies. Fine then!!

May thousands of angry termites bore holes in his Les Paul. :angry:

Archived