Gibson Brands Forums

Lovers of fine guitars = lovers of fine bands = RUSH

lagerfanny

First saw RUSH on the Signals Tour (and met them too, have autographed ticket [flapper] lol) and every UK tour since, in fact several times each tour for R30 + Snakes!

Gonna be clock watching till May when I'm seeing 3 'Time Machine' shows (so far).

Anyway, I've always loved their ability to try different styles, sounds & still maintain the core RUSH signature.

These three virtuoso create a spectacular aural & visual experience !

Are you an enthusiast too?

My cousin had a restaurant in Welland, ON. Right next door was Sam the Record Man. Neil's brother-in-law used to come in there once in a while (he may have worked there too). So he got to know my cousin really well. One day he gives my cousin Rush's new album at the time. It was Moving Pictures. My cousin gives the album to my brother and me. We've been fans ever since.

We played in a Rush tribute band years ago. We haven't played together in a very long time, but we started practicing again. We had another practice yesterday. The good news is that it's like riding a bicycle. We blew through YYZ, The Trees, Natural Science, 2112, the entire Moving Pictures, etc., like it was the old days. Then we decided to goof around and play some 80's tunes, like Rick Springfield's Jessie's Girl, but we messed it up!

We laughed at how we can play Rush but can't do the simple music...

One of my favorite bands when I was in high school and college, still is.

And absolutely one of the best concerts I have ever seen.

Permanent Waves and 2112 are my favorites. But I have just about all of them.

Three amazing musicians! [thumbup]

OK, let's bring up why they aren't in the Rock and Roll HOF again too.

Steve, here is Rush at their best. This tune eptimizes everything about Rush: 1) great lyrics by Neil Peart, 2) time changes, 3) weird chords, 4) different scales (this one is based on the Lydian scale), 5) great bass/drum coordination, 5) guitar solo that kicks a$$, and 6) putting it all together into a coherent tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnxkfLe4G74

Well, of course I am a fan but with me it was the amazing amount of tone coming from 3 musicians that floored me. The first time I heard them, I heard 5 distinct parts and thus thought there must be 5 members. Bought 2112 and there were only 3 so I figured "over-dubbed". Though I am sure some dubbing did occur in the studio, you finally see them live and Geddy is doing rhythm chords on the base while Alex is soloing, Geddy is playing keyboards and maintaining a base[like] sound with his feet, Alex is playing a synth'd number of things with his feet while wailing away on power chords, Neil though initally just bells and chimes eventually went synth himself and an amazingly complex percussion setup.

I'm like shee-it, I still struggle with that pat my head - rub my tummy at the same time thing. These guys are freakin' amazing.

My wife even went to Snakes and Arrows a couple years back despite our advanced age and though she doesn't care for Rush music generally, just a couple of songs, she was absolutely floored with their musicianship. And even better, she finally "got it!" Where she never did before.

i will be 100% honest here when i say that i have not heard one rush song ever in my 33 yrs on this planet...maybe i should check them out :-k

Never too late man..... but for the love of all that's holy at least listen to the Moving Pictures album.

Archived