Gibson Brands Forums

1930`s Epiphone Masterbilt `Apollo`.

My friend has been offered a 1930`s Epiphone Masterbilt Apollo archtop guitar in a trade, which the owner claims is an export model, and as I know a little bit about Epiphones he asked me if I knew anything. Well it`s a guitar I haven`t heard of before, and having gone through all my resource material I am still none the wiser, so I thought I`d open it out to knowledgeable forum members.

May get some photo`s over the next day or so, which may help.

Steve.

P.S. There was a U.S. made Epiphone Apollo model in the the early 90`s, but this was an electric guitar styled on the flying V but with a bolt-on neck.

P.S. There was a U.S. made Epiphone Apollo model in the the early 90`s, but this was an electric guitar styled on the flying V but with a bolt-on neck.

It was not uncommon for 70's - 90's for the makers of Epiphones to borrow model names from historic Epiphones and apply them to the newer made models. Sometimes these models were similar to their earlier name sakes, sometimes not.

I have no knowledge of 1930's models, but "Apollo" could be accurate.

This site: http://home.provide.net/~cfh/epiphone.html has some historical information which may help you. While this guy does appear knowledgeable, he does state that Epiphone was owned at one time by Conn, which is not accurate. I couldn't find many model names from the 30's, but there is a serial number sequence matrix which may help you date this guitar.

The Fisch and Fred book says the Apollo was an archtop introduced in 1937 and sold in England, but only for a few years. It says the model had a spruce top, a sycamore body, segmented f-holes, and a bound pickguard. The book says it cost less than the Olympic; and that the mix of features has led to speculation that they may have been produced by Regal for Epiphone. There aren't any pictures in the book, so please post some if available!

The Fisch and Fred book says the Apollo was an archtop introduced in 1937 and sold in England, but only for a few years. It says the model had a spruce top, a sycamore body, segmented f-holes, and a bound pickguard. The book says it cost less than the Olympic; and that the mix of features has led to speculation that they may have been produced by Regal for Epiphone. There aren't any pictures in the book, so please post some if available!

Thanks for that John, just the kind of info I need. My friend now has some photo`s, so I will see if we can get them up on here.

Steve.

Thanks JohnL

Apart from the tuners, the Gent selling it has also told me the bridge isn't the original either. This is a rosewood bridge that he had made, the original ebony bridge cames with the guitar, but apparently its a lot better with the new one.

He has also told me this guitar comes from a Denmark Street dealer, which is a famous area for guitars in London - so that would fit to the information about the Apollo being made for the UK market.

I think maybe the pickguard is not original either as it maybe should be bound?

I appreciate all info,

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 years later...

Hey everybody.

I own a similar guitar that I could never identify for certain. Maybe you can help me.

It sure sounds great. And boy, does it look great!

I found it here in Belgium and paid 250 euros for it...

I put some pics in the WeTransfer link , if you have any info...

https://we.tl/t-s6JAZhuPiz

Martin

18216358_10154353986581746_170657152_o.jpg

Edited by MartinBelgium

• 8 months later...