Gibson Brands Forums

need help. should i buy a valve amp or solid state?

krock

Got my 18th bday coming up soon and wanted to get another amp because my live rig isnt big enough. I only have one 30 watt solid state zoom fire 30 which has built in affects but ive also started using my zoom g7.1ut pedal again so i tend to keep the amp on a setting for effects pedals. Basically I want to know if I should buy a solid state or valve because I need more volume. I dont think a low watt valve amp will be good enough because it wont have much headroom and I dont want to sped more than about £200-£300. Which amp would you recommend?

Got my 18th bday coming up soon and wanted to get another amp because my live rig isnt big enough. I only have one 30 watt solid state zoom fire 30 which has built in affects but ive also started using my zoom g7.1ut pedal again so i tend to keep the amp on a setting for effects pedals. Basically I want to know if I should buy a solid state or valve because I need more volume. I dont think a low watt valve amp will be good enough because it wont have much headroom and I dont want to sped more than about £200-£300. Which amp would you recommend?

valve for subtle stuff ie blues n jazz, solidstate for all out metal/rock...may i recommend a line 6 spider 3 B)

basically what I want to do is plug my effects pedal into an A/B/Y pedal and run it into both so I get the same out of both amps. Could I get a good sound out of the line 6 or egnator if I was to do this? Are there any egnators in my price range?

You asked:

"Should i buy a valve amp or solid state?"

The answer most definitely is, "Yes, but probably not."

Okay, I couldn't help myself. But here's my question to you: What do you want it for?

If you're gigging/not gigging will make a difference. Also, why not keep what you've got and hunt for a PA system. You can always figure how to get an "out" from your amp into a PA; if you do solo work or wanna start a small coffee house band (I don't know if it's legal for under 18 to play in saloons where you live), the PA is great leverage.

Some 200-300 should get you a low end but decent very small venue rock PA new; used you can have more power or a better brand.

Figure this: You can keep the rig you already know if you go the PA route. You're gonna have more weight/stuff to haul regardless. Why not get something you could even do a solo gig with if it's your inclination in a year or two?

Otherwise... I wouldn't spend over 100 sterling on an amp if I didn't know where/what I would end up playing. It would be a waste. In fact, I would either do the PA thing or put the cash away. Every amp has strengths and weaknesses - but more weaknesses show up at your age if you get into a gig that a given amp may not be appropriate for. A PA always is appropriate and it has many applications. Not so a bigger, heavier and more expensive guitar amp. You already have an amp that apparently has a sound you like, so... to make it louder...

m

It's a "public address" system.

It's what one way or another bands even in the olden days used for the vocalist(s).

What it amounts to, one way or another, is a power amplifier with a number of separate inputs and equalization/effects for each input, depending on the system. There then would be detached speaker units that usually are designed for "general purpose," reproducing the entire sound of a band/recording.

A lot of solo acoustic guitar players use them as their only amplification. So do more than a few ensembles.

Nowadays even "name" bands probably run all their sound through a larger sound controller "board" run by a person who's a pro at it - and then speakers are placed so the whole crowd in a given venue can hear about the same stuff at about the same volume. Bottom line is you don't need 80 quadrillion watts of guitar amp if you've got a small guitar amp with a sound you like - and a PA to handle that, mikes and other instruments.

m

Tube. When you get to a certain level, you'll want tube, they sound much richer and are much more dynamic, etc. so I wouldn't spend the $ on SS. IMO if you can get a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (40 watt, 1-12"speaker) you'd pay only $350-$450 (here) for a a very nice sounding amp.

All tube. Tube rectifier, tube preamp, tube power.

What's this solid state you speak of?

You rock Murph !!!!!!! Tube and Valves all the way.....( I prefer a SS rectifier though..)

basically what I want to do is plug my effects pedal into an A/B/Y pedal and run it into both so I get the same out of both amps. Could I get a good sound out of the line 6 or egnator if I was to do this? Are there any egnators in my price range?

I don't know pricing across the pond Krock.....Egnaters are a bit more than some amps...ie, $1000.00 U.S. will get you an Egnater that will become your best friend...You are a killer guitarist, and you have a lot of years of great playing ahead of you.....I love their Renagade amps, and check out their TourMaster heads..........great amps..........Some Fender amps are loved as well.......Jet City tube heads are affordable and nice..So aren't some Bugera amps; but reliability and QC has been a slight problem...Just some ideas......Shop carefully, ask us for advice......Lots of knowledgable folks here.......

I need this rig to be as small as possible because I'm going to university soon. Specific recommendations for amps in my price range would be appreciated. And Mildod, is a saloon like a bar, I've only ever heard of them in wild west films?

I need this rig to be as small as possible because I'm going to university soon. Specific recommendations for amps in my price range would be appreciated. And Mildod, is a saloon like a bar, I've only ever heard of them in wild west films?

The Jet City 20 watt combo may be right for you then.....Nice amp, low low price; A loud 20 watts, and a 12" speaker; not small, not huge, but....Krock, check out Bugera's 5 watt V5 combo; it runs 5, 1 and 1/10th watts, all tube class A...Small, sweet, all tube, and only $150.00 U.S.; and it has a headphone out for quiet practice at home and school.....They should sell them there in England...If not, I could buy here and send it to you.....

Saloons are bars.....Milod loves them !!!!!!!!

Your playing is tube/valve style....man, you can really play.....Check out C.D. Baby, a site where you can sell and share your music....some thoughts for you.....................

And 5 tube watts is quite loud..........

I get a lot of fun out of a Vox VT30. It's valve and solid state. It still sounds good and responsive down to bedroom sound levels. Only thing is there it no line in socket for backing tracks. It's easy to add one though. The VT30 is not expensive.

I get a lot of fun out of a Vox VT30. It's valve and solid state. It still sounds good and responsive down to bedroom sound levels. Only thing is there it no line in socket for backing tracks. It's easy to add one though. The VT30 is not expensive.

Good choice as well.......I have their VT50 and VT100.............The one tube really does work well...........Cheap in price as well........The VT30 would be perfect for Krock, and they do sell those over there as well...........good call...........Check the Vox VT 30 out Krock as well..........

Krock...

Yupper, a saloon is a bar. Two establishments where I live in the literal geographical center of the U.S.A., are the Cowboy Back Bar Saloon and the Outlaw Saloon. When I avail myself of the services of a bar here in town - not a restaurant with liquor - it tends to be in the Cowboy Back... When I go up the hill to Deadwood, S.D., where Wild Bill Hickock was killed, I've tended over the past 40 years or so to amble into the Number 10 Saloon.

"Wild West?" If you ever saw the John Wayne movie "The Cowboys," they were driving their herd into the biggest "railhead" shipping point for livestock in the US at the time. And that's for real, at least from about 1892 for maybe 15-20 years. It also is home to one of the nation's oldest rodeos and bronze statues of local "heroes" on Main Street are rodeo hall of famers.

Yeah, your playing would do well with a tube amp. I just think a small PA and the amp you have with a sound you already like would be more versatile. But then when i was younger I wanted a dedicated guitar amp with some steam, too. then I got older and a little more practical.

m

I agree with the 'small amp on stage' philosophy plus line out to the PA

The Laney tube amp range mostly have a line out

Alternatively an 'effects out' can be used in the same way

V

:-({|=

Thanks for all the advice guys. Ive been looking at the small tube amps that a majority of you suggested. Hopefully in a few years time Mildod I'll be able to get that PA system when I actually have room to store it. And thanks to those who took the time to listen to some of my music.

Good luck...

BTW, my little PA takes up less room than the big tube amp - and it's easier to move parts into different places. <grin>

But seriously, one thing I'm convinced about is that if you're happy and comfortable with whatever gear you're using, you'll be more relaxed and when you're more relaxed you'll play better. Good on ya, for sure.

m

Alternatively an 'effects out' can be used in the same way

Well Kind of.... But if you use the effects loop out ( or send same thing ) then you are disconnecting the pre-amp section of the amp and sending that signal to the mixing board but if you do not come back into your effects in ( or effects return ) then the power amp section of the amp is disconnected so you wouldn't have anything coming through your guitar speaker.... I'm also unsure about how well the impedance would match up ( Something I need to look into ) ...

Andy

Archived