Gibson Brands Forums

Hell Freezes Over: I need gun buying advice

heymisterk

Hi All,

First of all, let me be the first to say that I am not a gun-owning kinda guy. Without getting too political, let's just say that the NRA has never gotten any money from me. But I know - and respect - the many gun owners on this site.

My neighborhood is getting rougher by the year. With the economy the way it is, some of the houses in my neighborhood have been foreclosed and abandoned. Also, people - in order to finance their move to the 'burbs - have rented their house out, and are not all that particular about who they rent to. The result has been a number of burglaries and break-ins in my neighborhood.

I don't want to buy a gun, but I also don't want to be unprotected. I live by myself so I don't worry about a child getting a hold of it. And of course if I do buy one, I will be taking a safety class.

I have no idea what to buy, though. In the little amount of research I have done, I know I want semi-automatic, perhaps a 9mm? Basically, I need something that will be easy for a novice like me to get used to.

I would love to hear your thoughts. Any advice would be appreciated, both in terms of what to buy and what NOT to buy.

Thanks!

Jeff

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd suggest a glock 17 (9mm), this depends on your hand size though as they can be a little uncomfortable on small hands. Make sure you take the safety courses and go to the range frequently, accuracy will be more important than caliber.

You might want to take the class first at a local gun shop. They can usually help you pick out a gun that's right for you. What's right for you? The gun that allows you to effectivly put the round down range and in the target.

10 mm.....................And a scary looking 12 guage pump / semi shotgun with a pistol grip; A shotgun is effective; it is also very intimidating; even a drugged up burglar will understand

a shotgun...........Don't keep the guns loaded, but know how to load them fast..........Rifles shoot to far......Pistol grip shotguns are easy to handle.....Learn and know the local and state laws..

Keep your yard neat and clean....Get to know the local police....Learn who the renters are around you....Call 911 before picking up a gun to confront a burgler.....Don't advertise any actual

alarm company you might use......Etc etc...................And be careful....................And learn how to use any guns you might get.......Guns and guitars are a bit the same; pretty to look at,

but you gotta know how to use them, and well..................

You might want to take the class first at a local gun shop. They can usually help you pick out a gun that's right for you. What's right for you? The gun that allows you to effectivly put the round down range and in the target.

That is good advice right there that I probably wouldn't have thought of on my own. I guess I was a little worried a gun shop might sell me "more" of a gun than I need...?

Tell them you have never owned a gun before and you're not sure it's for you so you want to try some out. A good shop will help you. If they start with the hard sell they arn't a good shop and arn't worth your money.

Just like buying guitars... gotta be willing to walk.

You can also consider a good 'ol pump shotgun, they make that nice sound that tell intruders is time to get the f*** out.

Definitely a crap your pants sound. Also check your state laws on rights of defense when dealing with home intrusion, especially Castle Doctrine laws.

If you're new to guns, you'll want to stay away from semi autos. I asked this same question awhile back and was directed to a .38 revolver, iirc, by Neoconman, whom I consider to be extremely knowledgeable about firearms. You don't want to be fooling around with clearing jams and such when you oughta be shooting was the reasoning I was given. I've hunted dove witha semi-automatic 12 ga, and you miss a lot of birds clearing a jam.

I might add to get a .44 if you want to know you've got a gun in your hand. I've fired a snub nosed .44 revolver. It made a nice boom and had a very comfortable kick :).

I'm sure there are other opinions... I'd listen to them all and do whatever makes the most sense to you :D.

Good luck and stay safe.

Tell them you have never owned a gun before and you're not sure it's for you so you want to try some out. A good shop will help you. If they start with the hard sell they arn't a good shop and arn't worth your money.

I ran a gun shop. Good advice here. Go with your local shop if possible. If you can , go by yourself, not with friends. Friends have a good intentions, but they aren't you. They may have their favorite weapon that may not be your fit. Good luck on your search.

If you're new to guns, you'll want to stay away from semi autos. I asked this same question awhile back and was directed to a .38 revolver, iirc, by Neoconman, whom I consider to be extremely knowledgeable about firearms. You don't want to be fooling around with clearing jams and such when you oughta be shooting was the reasoning I was given. I've hunted dove witha semi-automatic 12 ga, and you miss a lot of birds clearing a jam.

I might add to get a .44 if you want to know you've got a gun in your hand. I've fired a snub nosed .44 revolver. It made a nice boom and had a very comfortable kick :).

I'm sure there are other opinions... I'd listen to them all and do whatever makes the most sense to you :D.

Good luck and stay safe.

I think a 44 would be an awfully big caliber, especially for an inexperienced shooter.

I agree. Don't buy a gun without learning how to use it, clean it, and secure it. We have a local dealer that has a indoor range and they rent weapons for you to use.

I would also strongly suggest you look into buying a safe to keep it in, like this;

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/mini-mini-deluxe.html

The last thing you want is for someone to steal a weapon, yet it's not much good if you can't get to in a hurry, these safes fix that problem.

I've been a gun owner and shooter my entire life (now 47). I would NOT recommend a semi-auto handgun for home defense unless you plan on putting in a LOT of time at the range to have handling it become second nature. If there is ever a situation in your home, it will be very high-level intensity - more so than you likely have ever experienced in your life. The last thing you want is to be fumbling around with a complex design. There are other reasons why a handgun is not the best defense weapon, such as stopping power, one-handed operation, difficulty aiming/hitting target, etc.

By far the best IN-HOME defense weapon is a short-barreled 12 gauge pump shotgun. I second/third (whatever) the suggestion of a Remington 870. It will function flawlessly the rest of your life, with minimal or no maintenance, and probably a few more lifetimes. I leave mine in my closet, action open, with an open box of shells on an upper (but reachable) shelf. I can be out of bed, drop a shell in the action, and rack it close - in just a couple seconds. And - yes - the sound of a Remington 870 racking would be loud and resonant through a quiet house. ANYBODY would have to be nuts to continue to my room after hearing that. Once the first round is in the chamber - ready to go - I can load the remaining four shells in the magazine in just a couple more seconds.

A shotgun blast to the chest - or anywhere on the body - at room-range would absolutely put someone on the ground and immobilize them at the very least.

A shotgun with, say, #6 shot, has the added advantage of not deeply penetrating walls, thus minimizing the danger to other occupants in your home/apartment building. A handgun bullet, on the other hand, will easily travel through the walls into neighboring rooms.

Having said all that, I don't really spend any time worrying about home safety. I live in the boondocks on 20 acres of woods, and we never even lock our doors. Our keys are always in our ignition. There is really no crime out here. But if I lived where you live, I'd feel just as safe with my 870 in my closet as I do now.

~DB

I always figured you used a flail.

Actually....

a couple of these:

Viking%20Sword%20II.JPG

One of these:

viking_spear_and_cooking_pans.jpg

Some of these:

samurai-decorative.jpg

and one of these, of course....:

fajana.jpg

would be my easiest at hand.

I have things that go bang, too, but I could have these in seconds.

:ph34r:

Actually....

a couple of these:

Viking%20Sword%20II.JPG

One of these:

viking_spear_and_cooking_pans.jpg

Some of these:

samurai-decorative.jpg

and one of these, of course....:

fajana.jpg

would be my easiest at hand.

I have things that go bang, too, but I could have these in seconds.

:ph34r:

Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

I've been a gun owner and shooter my entire life (now 47). I would NOT recommend a semi-auto handgun for home defense unless you plan on putting in a LOT of time at the range to have handling it become second nature. If there ever was a situation in your home, it will be very high-level intensity - more so than you likely have ever experienced in your life. The last thing you want is to be fumbling around with a complex design. There are other reasons why a handgun is not the best defense weapon, such as stopping power, one-handed operation, difficulty aiming/hitting target.

By far the best IN-HOME defense weapon is a short-barreled 12 gauge pump shotgun. I second/third (whatever) the suggestion of a Remington 870. It will function flawlessly the rest of your life, and probably a few more lifetimes. I leave mine in my closet, action open, with an open box of shells on an upper (but reachable) shelf. I can be out of bed, drop a shell in the action, and rack it close - in just a couple seconds. And - yes - the sound of a Remington 870 racking would be loud and resonant through a quiet house. ANYBODY would have to be nuts to continue to my room after hearing that. Once the first round is in the chamber, I can load the remaining four shells in the magazine in just a couple more seconds.

A shotgun blast to the chest - or anywhere on the body - at room-range would absolutely put someone on the ground and immobilize them.

A shotgun with, say #6 shot, has the added advantage of not deeply penetrating walls, thus minimizing the danger to other occupants in your home/apartment building.

Having said all that, I don't really spend any time worrying about home safety. I live in the boondocks on 20 acres of woods, and we never even lock our doors. Our keys are always in our ignition. There is really no crime out here. But if I lived where you lived, I'd feel just as safe with my 870 in my closet.

~DB

I have been shooting since 1957 and have learned one thing. Everyone has a preference...a shotgun with low base ammo would be fine for in home defense, but makes a terrible conceal weapon, unless you wear really long over coats.

The most important thing is to have a plan. I would suggest that is the reason why policeman train....They don't just throw a shotgun in the trunk and put a handgun on the hip, they are trained on what to do in a stress situation.

A shot gun is great as long as the bad guy doesn't have your wife in a full nelson! There are non lethal weapon available which should also be considered, Tasers are one example. I have a Kimber Pepperblaster which fires a nonaerosol pepper solution, which will not be blown back on you by a wind and has a shotgun like pattern when fired, and will stick to who ever it hits and has a range of 15 ft. and will stop anybody in their tracks without killing them.

More importantly our family has a emergency plan, which applies to house fires and the extremely rare chance that someone would break. Knowing where your loved ones are in a emergency is as important as being prepared to shoot someone. We have a safe room, which is simply a walk in closet with a strong door which locks from the inside, we keep a cell phone in it and a weapon...

Two years ago a old friend of ours was the victim of a home invasion..he lives in a good nieborhood, is a veteran of the Marine Corps. and is not a gang member or a druggie, he is a computer programmer. But for some reason these punks just kicked in his door and attacked him, he fought with them, knocked one of them down in the door way and heard a loud bang, long story short, one of the bad guys shot him in the arm, the bullet went through his arm and into one of the other bad guys he was fighting with..They took off running, but were never caught....it was a eye opener...

Be prepared.

I have a Kimber Pepperblaster which fires a nonaerosol pepper solution, which will not be blown back on you by a wind and has a shotgun like pattern when fired, and will stick to who ever it hits and has a range of 15 ft. and will stop anybody in their tracks without killing them.

Excellent suggestion. I'll be looking into those. I grew up with guns in one of those neighborhoods

where it would seem you'd need them for protection. Well, we never got to use them for protection,

but they sure gave the thieves something to steal!

Generally I'd say, MisterK, that you should not invest in guns for self-protection unless you

and the rest of your family are absolutely positive you would and could shoot someone at close

range. Without that resolve it can end badly.

I have been shooting since 1957 and have learned one thing. Everyone has a preference...a shotgun with low base ammo would be fine for in home defense, but makes a terrible conceal weapon, unless you wear really long over coats.

The most important thing is to have a plan. I would suggest that is the reason why policeman train....They don't just throw a shotgun in the trunk and put a handgun on the hip, they are trained on what to do in a stress situation.

A shot gun is great as long as the bad guy doesn't have your wife in a full nelson! There are non lethal weapon available which should also be considered, Tasers are one example. I have a Kimber Pepperblaster which fires a nonaerosol pepper solution, which will not be blown back on you by a wind and has a shotgun like pattern when fired, and will stick to who ever it hits and has a range of 15 ft. and will stop anybody in their tracks without killing them.

More importantly our family has a emergency plan, which applies to house fires and the extremely rare chance that someone would break. Knowing where your loved ones are in a emergency is as important as being prepared to shoot someone. We have a safe room, which is simply a walk in closet with a strong door which locks from the inside, we keep a cell phone in it and a weapon...

Two years ago a old friend of ours was the victim of a home invasion..he lives in a good nieborhood, is a veteran of the Marine Corps. and is not a gang member or a druggie, he is a computer programmer. But for some reason these punks just kicked in his door and attacked him, he fought with them, knocked one of them down in the door way and heard a loud bang, long story short, one of the bad guys shot him in the arm, the bullet went through his arm and into one of the other bad guys he was fighting with..They took off running, but were never caught....it was a eye opener...

Be prepared.

You make a good point: I guess I don't need a gun, but a non-lethal weapon would be worth considering too. I am going to look up Tasers and the Kimber to be sure.

The "lollipops" are for cooking in a fire.

Never bring a gun you aren't expertly practiced with for 25 years into the home of someone who can weild any of the above weapons with expert proficiency.

My terrain, not yours.

The guns are for the folks still on the porch or in the yard, silly.

Archived