Gibson Brands Forums

Modding a Non-Reverse T-Bird?

saxdragon

I just got one of these, used off eBay (see related post regarding tone quality) and I'm thinking it would look much cooler with a HB pickup in the neck position. Any thoughts on that? Should I leave the P-bass pups in it and add the HB up close to the neck? Should I rout a new hole for the HB. or maybe take out the P-bass pups and mount an HB in the existing hole?

I just got one of these, used off eBay (see related post regarding tone quality) and I'm thinking it would look much cooler with a HB pickup in the neck position. Any thoughts on that? Should I leave the P-bass pups in it and add the HB up close to the neck? Should I rout a new hole for the HB. or maybe take out the P-bass pups and mount an HB in the existing hole?

Personally, I wouldnt change the pickup configuration just because the both the P & J pickups routings are most likely going to leave gaping holes in your bass. The P pickups, even though they are in the best spot for a mod, take up a lot of real estate onthe pickguard. You would either have to fashion a new pickguard or find a way to mount a new pickup around the holes left over from the P pickup.

As for the J, they are fairly long pickups. You may be able to find a humbucker to span the length of the cavity, but you should take measurements first.

What I would do, is get a set of good quality P/Js like Bartolinis, EMG, Seymore Duncan, and just swap them ot without having to do any routing or cutting of the pickguard.

As for the J, they are fairly long pickups. You may be able to find a humbucker to span the length of the cavity, but you should take measurements first.

What I would do, is get a set of good quality P/Js like Bartolinis, EMG, Seymore Duncan, and just swap them ot without having to do any routing or cutting of the pickguard.

Fender makes a "Double J" pickup, which is exactly what it sounds like, two J coils wired together in the same cover. That would eat up a J pickup rout nicely, as seen here:

MyNewGirlfriend3.jpg

That being said, I vote you go with some Bartolinis or Duncans too. I'm not a huge fan of EMG's bass pickups, but they are well made pickups. Check out Carvin pickups. They have some real nice soapbar humbuckers and even a stacked-coil J-style humbucker.

Fender makes a "Double J" pickup, which is exactly what it sounds like, two J coils wired together in the same cover. That would eat up a J pickup rout nicely, as seen here:

I've seen pickups like in the pic, but I didnt realize they were double Js. Pretty cool.

• 5 months later...

Apologies to everyone for resurrecting this zombie. I'm in exactly the same position as saxdragon: picked up one of these basses on the 'bay (NR epi t-bird), and looking into modding it. Just wondering how far did you got with this project, and what you finally decided on?

Apologies to everyone for resurrecting this zombie. I'm in exactly the same position as saxdragon: picked up one of these basses on the 'bay (NR epi t-bird), and looking into modding it. Just wondering how far did you got with this project, and what you finally decided on?

Welcome to the forum rnrmouse...

Personally, I didn't see any need to swap the pups on 'The Weirdbird'

I just had the pots & wiring changed & got her plek'ed & she's a dream [thumbup]

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/53253-meet-the-weirdbird/

Cheers,

Welcome to the forum rnrmouse...

Personally, I didn't see any need to swap the pups on 'The Weirdbird'

I just had the pots & wiring changed & got her plek'ed & she's a dream [thumbup]

Cheers,

I dont know about the passive P/Js on the non-rev T-bird, but the active P/Js on the EBMs lack mids and are really noisey. I wouldnt mind swapping them out for a set of Bartolinis or EMGs. Humbuckers would be cool, but I dont know if i'm down for routing the body.

• 1 month later...

Archived