Gibson Brands Forums

Do Brits Hit "shift" 4 ?

Murph

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep a link to keep track.........and I've got some British friends............

Now quid, isn't that calamari ????? Euro quid goes for six dollars a pound...........

Since 1698, the British pub pint has been 568 milliliters, and this was the law...This will soon change to allow pubs to serve 400 millileter pints;

This is not cool..........What are they thinking ???????

The £ is on the 3 and the $ is on the 4 on a standard British layout keyboard.

As far as exchange rates, no idea.

The last time I checked it was something like 60p to the dollar (with there being 100p in a pound of course).

Currently, not a clue.

A quid is a pound. It's slang, but I have no idea how it came to be.

I've never been able to keep track of how many pounds/quid equal how many euros.

To be honest I've never needed to know. I only usually have to convert between pounds and dollars.

Why do you ask?

One US dollar; .77 euros, .64 British pounds, 1.01 Oz bucks.........Pork bellies remain strong.........guitar practicing is up sharply..........flooding continues in Oz........Nathan continues his tone search.........

Dem00n continues his jazz studies........more Gibson counterfits found on-line.........Quality of Lounge posts continues to rise..........Midwest snow continues to put pressure on beer prices...............

Since 1698, the British pub pint has been 568 milliliters, and this was the law...This will soon change to allow pubs to serve 400 millileter pints;

This is not cool..........What are they thinking ???????

It must be kinda' the way Breyers Ice Cream made their half gallon ice cream less than a true half gallon.

To get their pound sign?

How many dollars make a pound?

What's a quid?

How many pounds make a Euro?

You can get a pound sign using the ascii code, hold ALT and type 156.

ALT 155 = ¢ cents

ALT 157 = ¥ Japanese yen

ALT 171 = ½

ALT 172 = ¼

ALT 246 = ÷

There are a lot of other symbols you can get this way like the German § (ALT 277) or the Spanish ñ (ALT 164)

Other questions have been answered.

You can get a pound sign using the ascii code, hold ALT and type 156.

ALT 155 = ¢ cents

ALT 157 = ¥ Japanese yen

ALT 171 = ½

ALT 172 = ¼

ALT 246 = ÷

There are a lot of other symbols you can get this way like the German § (ALT 277) or the Spanish ñ (ALT 164)

Other questions have been answered.

¢

¥

½

¼

÷

§

ñ

Just wanted to try it out. Thanks Stiffhand.

So where can I find table that has all of these symbols?

Is it true a F A G is another name for Cigarettes in the UK? [confused]

yup. before I knew what it means in the states, I used it in a slip up because I read british literature at home... oh was I in trouble with that teacher, luckily I was able to use the excuse that I didn't know what it meant in the wrong context

So where can I find table that has all of these symbols?

Google ASCII code, it is a limited list of icons and includes all the letters and numbers in you standard English keyboard as well.

You can get useful stuff like the degree symbol with ALT 248 = ° or the +/- symbol ± ALT 241

RE: A three-letter term for cigarette that starts with the letter "F".

In my age group that also was a common term. Where I was raised the term "weed" also was used for a tobacco cigarette.

The "snuff" used by many, many "cowboys" and such is referred to as "snoose," as "You can tell a level-headed cowboy 'cuz the snoose runs out of both sides of his mouth."

There are too many rodeo-oriented regional terms for me to mention 'cuz I end up using some of them most every day.

But most folks around here know what you're talking about if you say somebody's a good heeler and steer trippin' is a rodeo event not held at most urban pro rodeos. A barrelman usually nowadays wears a radio microphone for jokes, but assists in protecting bull riders. A chute fighter is a horse or bull that gets rambunctious in the chute... Cutting cattle is not done to make a bull into a steer, but rather to separate a critter from a herd.

Out here "AI" doesn't stand for "artificial intellegence" as in computers. <grin>

m

yup. before I knew what it means in the states, I used it in a slip up because I read british literature at home... oh was I in trouble with that teacher, luckily I was able to use the excuse that I didn't know what it meant in the wrong context

LOL

It is very odd for us hearing the term 'fanny bag' when in the USA. Fanny in the UK is common slang for a vagina!

Matt

Archived