Gibson Brands Forums

Eric Clapton Selling his gear...?

daveinspain

Just got an e-mail from Guitar Center telling me Eric Clapton is selling his guitars and amps... [confused] What's up with that? Says he's selling over 70 items that will be up for auction. Do you think he needs the money? Usually if it's for charity they say so but no mention of any charity work... Sure hope he's ok...

EC's fine.

I posted a link to the auction notice some time before Xmas.

It's all in aid of his 'Crossroads' charity.

There's a whole load of Music Man amplifiers and cabs and about 70 guitars including a rep of 'Blackie' that he personally used after 'Blackie' had been retired.

Here's the link for all those with the day off on the 9th March!

EDIT : Here's the link.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Eric_Clapton_to_Auction_150_Guitars_and_Amps.aspx

P.

According to the blurb in the link I posted earlier (in reply #2) the previous two auctions were in 1999 and 2004.

As to who will benefit from the proceeds, the same link goes on to state :

"Eric Clapton has commented on the sale: "I am very happy that Bonhams have agreed to host my third guitar auction in aid of The Crossroads Centre, Antigua, the drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre I founded in 1998." "

P.

Between Pippy's post and Dave's now I had a big Clapton swing and now I'm a fan. I was not beforehand, funny how taste changes like that. I'd love to support the charity and probably will in some small way, but I won't be walking away with anything he ever owned I don't think lol.

... I won't be walking away with anything he ever owned I don't think lol...

You never can tell! According to the blurb some of the stuff has a reserve estimate of around the $300 mark...

For those with the time to read an article about the 2004 auction here's a taster...

http://www.burstbrot...ohollywood.html

For those with less time to waste, a precis...

At the 2004 auction the same pair of buyers (Dave Belzer and Drew Berlin) picked up both EC's 'Cream' ES-335 and 'Blackie' - his parts-built Strat. They paid $750,000 for the semi- and $850,000 for 'Blackie'.

Also in the sale was the only one of SRV's Strats outside the SRV estate, 'Lenny', and a 1966 Martin 00-21 given to Clapton by his mate George Harrison...

I wish them all the best on the 9th.

P.

Just got an e-mail from Guitar Center telling me Eric Clapton is selling his guitars and amps... [confused] What's up with that? Says he's selling over 70 items that will be up for auction. Do you think he needs the money? Usually if it's for charity they say so but no mention of any charity work... Sure hope he's ok...

Well, sure. Gibson just gave him a signature guitar. Why would he need any of those others now?

Er, was I just snarky out loud? Sorry, sorry... 8-[

Archived