Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for an acoustic bass.

gearbasher

Well...actually, my brother is. He asked for my opinion and I have none. I can't give him the standard "Go to the store, try a few and see what you like" response, because they're not a well stocked item. So, mail order is the only way to go. Any suggestions out there? I'd like to reduce the chances of him getting a clunker in the mail. Thanks.

Guest WiseAxe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1FXK4H2jZ8&feature=related

Is your brother just starting to play bass? If he's been playing a while, I'm sure he knows how the acoustic bass thing

never really grew legs due to the "jack of all trades, master of none" syndrome. If you want to go totally unplugged, an

upright is really where it's at. If electric, then a solid body electric is the easy fix, but prepare to make a room full

of acoustic players nervous when you show up with that snazzy bass and ask where can I plug this amp in?

Here's something that's been turning all that upside down; talk about portability (something never used in the same sentence

w/ an upright).. and there are some great high-powered but compact (fit in footwell of your car) digital amps out there that

won't get anyone nervous. There was a huge thread about 'em last fall on the AGF. Totally catch people off guard. Especially

when they sound most like an upright, but as compact as a mandola. About $400 for the all HOG fretted version. Too cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNPx6RS8PiM

Thanks for the input. I will pass it on to him.

As for your question. He was a drummer. Stopped playing 'em about 15 years ago. Now, he mostly plays guitar. He can also play a little banjo, sax and piano. He plays just for pleasure and hasn't played for an audience in about 25 years.

I've been playing the fretless Zenith that Epiphone puts out. I like it a lot. I've played upright bass and electric for years and this is the best blend of both that I've ever played. It's got the percussion and 'thump' of an upright, but keeps the sustain of an electric. It's a heavy thing, but that's the only real downside to it that I've found.

Asking about an acoustic bass is asking people how they like their Rolls Royce. There are not too many are around.

Epiphone makes a couple flat top versions, the El Segundo and the El Capitan. Both, of which, have on board amplifiers. I have no idea how they sound. One of these usually shows up on EBay once every 8 or 10 blue moons.

I've been to a many bluegrass jams. Most times the acoustic bass is the big stand-up bass viol/stick fiddle/dog house variety. Occasionally, a long necked, bigger bodied version of a flat top guitar shows up. Almost invariably, it is a Dean. For all I know it may be the same one borrowed by different bassists. It's hard to beat the stick fiddle for un-amplified volume and tone. The flat-top basses usually get plugged in and sound like an electric bass.

However, the flat top bass is easier to transport and store, than a stick fiddle. But you need an amp for other than plunking around the camp fire.

I too have been hunting for a decent acoustic bass. After a fair amount of research, the one that I keep going back to is the Breedlove Atlas Solo BJ350/CM4. This bass has a solid western cedar top, and laminated mahogany back and sides. Jumbo size and extra deep body, which I think would contribute to good acoustic tone. LR Baggs pickup and preamp, and it comes in both fretted and fretless models. Another feature that I find very interesting is the JLD bridge truss system. This system transfers string tension from the top/bridge to the tail block, which allows for an innovative bracing pattern designed to allow the entire top to vibrate more freely. Reviewers of this bass consistently mention the robust tone and loudness of this instrument. Also of interest to me is the sound port in the upper side of the bass which is supposed to allow the player to more clearly hear the instrument.

If your interested, here's the link to the Breedlove site:

http://breedlovemusic.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=103:atlas-series-solo-bj350cm4-bass&catid=82:atlas-series-basses&Itemid=269

You have to try out the Kala Ubass. My wife plays bass with us and after years of lugging around her upright bass I bought her the Ubass. I can not believe how much is sounds like an actual upright bass. We have also found out that it sounds great plugged straight in to the PA or an acoustic amp, or any other full range type of speaker system, so there is no need to carry around a huge, heavy bass amp. The two downsides to the Ubass are 1. It has to be plugged in to something (not much "acoustic volume") and 2. the strings stretch like crazy and be prepared to tune it every couple of hours. But all in all, the Ubass is awesome. Best "acoustic" sound we have ever heard outside of the huge "dog house" upright bass.

Archived