Gibson Brands Forums

Pedal Mania..

chase1410

Yeah I have the Classic Overdrive. I've been looking at the OCD. If I find a good deal on a used one I'll pick it up. Even the new price is pretty reasonable for such a good pedal though.

I haven't heard of the Green Rhino but I'll check it out when it comes out. It's not just another Tube Screamer clone is it?

Lava cables are supposedly the best cables out there. They come in kits so you can cut them to the length you need. They're supposed to have the lowest capacitance of any cable on the market. They're pretty expensive though..

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I have the Classic Overdrive. I've been looking at the OCD. If I find a good deal on a used one I'll pick it up. Even the new price is pretty reasonable for such a good pedal though.

I haven't heard of the Green Rhino but I'll check it out when it comes out. It's not just another Tube Screamer clone is it?

Lava cables are supposedly the best cables out there. They come in kits so you can cut them to the length you need. They're supposed to have the lowest capacitance of any cable on the market. They're pretty expensive though..

Green Rhino is sort of a Tube Screamer clone... however, its got a lot of low end balls, more gain, etc. I heard some sound clips, and it sounded amazing to me.

Also, it has a cool clean mix in knob, so you can kind of balance the grit and the clean sound. And the low end is controllable (I believe)

Hmmm. A clean mix sounds interesting.

When I was looking at clean boost pedals I came upon the Way Huge Angry Troll. I thought that was a cool pedal. I haven't really been impressed by the Aqua Puss or Pork Loin. Not saying they're bad at all I just don't want to buy them.

PS: Cabba...love the Wampler Plextortion...how do you like it...? Really been wanting a Triple Wreck my self...or the Nirvana Chorus..

I love the Super Plextortion! Very versetile. I got it in 2008, not sure what version it is, 4 knobs and 2 3way mini-toggles.

The Triple Wreck sounds great too, I want one of those and the Faux Tape Echo, it has some of the best sounding flutter.

You have the MXR Classic Overdrive right? I've been waiting with baited breath for the Way Huge Green Rhino to come out and send some sound clips. When I want overdrive, I want it nice and beefy, this is supposedly going to do that for me. Check em out

And I need new patch cables soon for better quality.

I also prefer "beefy" over-drives over subtle..I've went through more OD pedals then any other pedal just because I couldn't find that one...having getting the Fulltone OCD as my first OD pedal it kind of altered the way I looked at other OD pedals...I didnt find its true potential until about 4 months ago where I started using the LP mode and running it at 18V...God what a difference that makes...Gave the Fulltone PlimSoul a try due to all the hype, but IMO didnt come close to the OCD..One OD pedal I have kept as lower gain OD is the MXR Classic Overdrive, and seriously for the price..its kick *** but a way different animal..That Green Rhino sounded pretty good from the new clips I've heard..Let us know how it sounds if you pick one up Fred. [thumbup]

I also prefer "beefy" over-drives over subtle..I've went through more OD pedals then any other pedal just because I couldn't find that one...having getting the Fulltone OCD as my first OD pedal it kind of altered the way I looked at other OD pedals...I didnt find its true potential until about 4 months ago where I started using the LP mode and running it at 18V...God what a difference that makes...Gave the Fulltone PlimSoul a try due to all the hype, but IMO didnt come close to the OCD..One OD pedal I have kept as lower gain OD is the MXR Classic Overdrive, and seriously for the price..its kick *** but a way different animal..That Green Rhino sounded pretty good from the new clips I've heard..Let us know how it sounds if you pick one up Fred. [thumbup]

Doesn't come out until February, but it seems sweet. The MXR, for the price, is pretty sweet

I love the Super Plextortion! Very versetile. I got it in 2008, not sure what version it is, 4 knobs and 2 3way mini-toggles.

The Triple Wreck sounds great too, I want one of those and the Faux Tape Echo, it has some of the best sounding flutter.

Yea I bet..from demo's I've heard it's wicked...I'm really curious what the details come down to against the Faux Tape Echo vs the Strymon El Capitan...what are the major..if any..differences?

Oh, for @#$%'s sake. I need to stop coming here. You guys really know how to get me to spend my money. [flapper]

I've been gassing for a Greenhouse Effects No-Brainer for a while, but now I'm thinking of putting it on hold.

I just listened to a bunch of clips of the Super Wreck, Plextortion, and other Wampler pedals, and then found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbBRVyY4xZk

I sort of want all of them, minus the Hot Wired. It sounded good, but didn't wow me enough to get yet another OD, especially since I got my OCD. On the other hand, I haven't been in the market for a chorus, compressor, or echo for a while, but these have me intrigued.

No surprise that the pedal's mentioned here (Triple Wreck and Plextortion) are the ones I'm digging on most. I'm honestly having a hard time deciding which sound I want more.

I guess it's time to go play a bunch with my current gear, and then listen to more clips of all this stuff and decide what's first to come home.

This thread is gonna put a big dent in my pocket, I can just tell.

Thanks, guys. [biggrin][thumbup]

Oh, for @#$%'s sake. I need to stop coming here. You guys really know how to get me to spend my money. [flapper]

I've been gassing for a Greenhouse Effects No-Brainer for a while, but now I'm thinking of putting it on hold.

I just listened to a bunch of clips of the Super Wreck, Plextortion, and other Wampler pedals, and then found this:

I sort of want all of them, minus the Hot Wired. It sounded good, but didn't wow me enough to get yet another OD, especially since I got my OCD. On the other hand, I haven't been in the market for a chorus, compressor, or echo for a while, but these have me intrigued.

No surprise that the pedal's mentioned here (Triple Wreck and Plextortion) are the ones I'm digging on most. I'm honestly having a hard time deciding which sound I want more.

I guess it's time to go play a bunch with my current gear, and then listen to more clips of all this stuff and decide what's first to come home.

Idk man...I love my GH No-Brainer like no other...It's my most essential pedal on my board...I don't know what I'd do without it..

And Fred...PG just released a demo on YouTube...ITS KILLER...definitely will snag one up upon release..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUc9DZFE-0

Well I changed a few things up.

Here it is now photo-117.jpg

The biggest change was that I changed it from stereo to mono. The Stereo Panneur is basically two tremolo pedals with separate inputs and outputs for each channel. This meant I had to run it in stereo out into my SMMH.

Now I ran a patch cable from the output of one channel into the input of the other channel. Now I can use both channels the same as always but I can't pan (which is ok because I'm only running one amp).

I also put my SHO before my Fuzz Factory because I realized I like the way they stack better that way. The SHO adds a very noticable amount of clarity to the FF. It's like rolling your guitars volume down but it gets louder. I had been only using the FF with my guitars volume at about 7 so this is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbBRVyY4xZk

Watching that video has made me jones hard again for the Faux Tape Echo - that pedal just sounds awesome.

I gotta get one soon.

Yea I bet..from demo's I've heard it's wicked...I'm really curious what the details come down to against the Faux Tape Echo vs the Strymon El Capitan...what are the major..if any..differences?

Here's a shootout video, the 2 sound about the same to me. I do like the added tap tempo on the Strymon.

In the end, I'd get which ever one was priced best. I liked both. Although, the guy in that Builder Board video posted above

had his Faux Tape Echo dialed in really sweetly - it sounded really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHZ0QU1v_2g

Idk man...I love my GH No-Brainer like no other...It's my most essential pedal on my board...I don't know what I'd do without it..

And Fred...PG just released a demo on YouTube...ITS KILLER...defintley will snag one up..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUc9DZFE-0

HOLY **** I WANT ONE BAAAAADDDDDD That thing is monstrous. Way Huge never disappoints

I looked up that PG Rhino video earlier and I thought it sounded great but I don't know how much of that was that Orange and how much way the pedal.

Also... I know I change my mind a lot but I have shifted my attention from the OCD to the Box of Rock.

I wish they had a Fender to test it out on... but yeah. I have never heard anything from Way Huge I didn't like and if it is like the demo, that thing is a tone monster

Fred approved [thumbup]

I want to check one out in real life.

I thought it sounded awesome though and I thought the Tele was a good choice.

the box of rock is one Zvex pedal I could live without..just wasnt impressed with the tone...now the box of metal...thats another story..and pretty sure the PG demo was mostly all Rhino...wasnt the amp set clean in its entirety?...Very impressive by WayHuge/MXR especially for the price.

the box of rock is one Zvex pedal I could live without..just wasnt impressed with the tone...now the box of metal...thats another story..and pretty sure the PG demo was mostly all Rhino...wasnt the amp set clean in its entirety?...Very impressive by WayHuge/MXR especially for the price.

I didn't see the price... Assuming around 150 bones?

I think the OCD sounds totally amazing. I'm just noticing that it seems to have a certain harshness on the high end that is subtle but always there. The BoR sounds pretty similar to the OCD to me. It's definately one of those pedals that is not transparent at all but I'm not looking for a transparent OD right now. The boost on the BoR is pretty useful to me also. It means I can have a boost before and after my Fuzz Factory.

Plus I'm becoming a bit of a ZVex fanboy... So that pretty much subconciously makes the BoR instanly better.

I'm surprised you don't like the BoR.

I think the OCD sounds totally amazing. I'm just noticing that it seems to have a certain harshness on the high end that is subtle but always there. The BoR sounds pretty similar to the OCD to me. It's definately one of those pedals that is not transparent at all but I'm not looking for a transparent OD right now. The boost on the BoR is pretty useful to me also. It means I can have a boost before and after my Fuzz Factory.

Plus I'm becoming a bit of a ZVex fanboy... So that pretty much subconciously makes the BoR instanly better.

I'm surprised you don't like the BoR.

Your exactly right about the harsh high end...but thats the glorious thing about the OCD..you can switch it from HP to LP witch completely takes away that harshness...thats funny that you say that..because I thought that same thing after a couple months, with never really tweakn with the LP mode..now I don't touch the HP side of it..But like you said if your not looking for a transparent OD then yea..the OCD is as chameleon as it gets...Maybe thats why I hated the Plimsoul?? And I'm sure after I get a Zvex I'll become fanboy too, just like I am with Plum Crazy FX [thumbup] ..but that Box of Rock just aint my cup of tea..I mean its a great overdrive, but I don't think its anything really special or screams ZVEX at all like there other pedals..if that makes sense?

I think the BoR is really more of a distortion than an overdrive. It cleans up with your guitars volume knob so perfectly... You can just set the drive all the way up and get the perfect amount of drive by rolling your volume up or down. I just think the distortion sounds really cool and the boost is a big bonus.

I know what you mean when you say it doesn't scream ZVex like the other pedals. I think the Wooly Mammoth is the same way but Zack didn't design the Wooly Mammoth so that's why. The BoR is more of a "regular" pedal but it does what it does so well... I think it sounds pretty much just like a JTM45 like it's supposed to.

What ZVexs have you been checking out? I think you would really dig the Mastotron and the Fuzz Factory. My SHO is essential to me. I leave it on 100% of the time.

Archived