Gibson Brands Forums

Pedal Mania..

chase1410

I think the BoR is really more of a distortion than an overdrive. It cleans up with your guitars volume knob so perfectly... You can just set the drive all the way up and get the perfect amount of drive by rolling your volume up or down. I just think the distortion sounds really cool and the boost is a big bonus.

I know what you mean when you say it doesn't scream ZVex like the other pedals. I think the Wooly Mammoth is the same way but Zack didn't design the Wooly Mammoth so that's why. The BoR is more of a "regular" pedal but it does what it does so well... I think it sounds pretty much just like a JTM45 like it's supposed to.

What ZVexs have you been checking out? I think you would really dig the Mastotron and the Fuzz Factory. My SHO is essential to me. I leave it on 100% of the time.

I love the Mastotron

Just saying

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my current set up. The gold pedal to the right of the TC electronics is a BYOC Overdrive II. It was my Christmas break project.

I'm also waiting for a Tim pedal - should be in Feb.

Nice setup dude..Tell me how you like the Hardwire Reverb..? That was my other choice besides the Wet Reverb and heard the lexicons are killer..Really dig the versatility of it from the demo's I've heard, and the reverse setting is sweet..and very nice BYOC OD..did you do that paintjob..?? Looks really good..hows it sound?...Also is that TC Electronics the chrous version? Reccomend?

Nice setup dude..Tell me how you like the Hardwire Reverb..? That was my other choice besides the Wet Reverb and heard the lexicons are killer..Really dig the versatility of it from the demo's I've heard, and the reverse setting is sweet..and very nice BYOC OD..did you do that paintjob..?? Looks really good..hows it sound?...Also is that TC Electronics the chrous version? Reccomend?

The Hardwire reverb is great and I highly recommend it. The amps I use do not have reverb so I need a box. It is versatile with a lot of sounds but I keep it on plate most of the time. It's just difficult to adjust while playing in a band between songs.

Yes I did the paint job on the BYOC - thanks. I don't think it's the best, but it turned out ok. Those wet decals are hard to work with and I didn't do the best job on that. The sound is great! it is very versatile too with multiple sounds. One setting is the classic Ibanez TS808 tube screamer. It has those 3 way mini-toggle switches to change what it uses to clip. It also comes with other chips but I use the tube screamer chip and I've not even tried the others.

The TC electronics is the repeater and yes it has either vibrato/off/chorus dial. Right now in my classic rock band I only use it on the Pink Floyd song we play. I do use it in church for various sounds for certain songs. Yes I would recommend this pedal but if you use delay a lot then you may want the one that has the ability to store settings.

djroge- do you find that the buttons are far enough apart to not hit them together? that's my only worry

My guess is that you're asking about the BYOC pedal (Overdrive Special on my board)?

It really depends on which shoes I'm wearing. It's winter and I usually wear my redwing boots. With those all of the pedals are hard to hit because the stomp switches go between the shoe treads. In summer with tennis shoes it's not a problem.

Right now however, I mostly keep the overdrive on while playing in my classic rock band. I have a type of boost on my amp pedal that I use instead of the boost on the BYOC pedal.

The Hardwire reverb is great and I highly recommend it. The amps I use do not have reverb so I need a box. It is versatile with a lot of sounds but I keep it on plate most of the time. It's just difficult to adjust while playing in a band between songs.

Yes I did the paint job on the BYOC - thanks. I don't think it's the best, but it turned out ok. Those wet decals are hard to work with and I didn't do the best job on that. The sound is great! it is very versatile too with multiple sounds. One setting is the classic Ibanez TS808 tube screamer. It has those 3 way mini-toggle switches to change what it uses to clip. It also comes with other chips but I use the tube screamer chip and I've not even tried the others.

The TC electronics is the repeater and yes it has either vibrato/off/chorus dial. Right now in my classic rock band I only use it on the Pink Floyd song we play. I do use it in church for various sounds for certain songs. Yes I would recommend this pedal but if you use delay a lot then you may want the one that has the ability to store settings.

Thanks man..I'm always curious to hear other people's views on different guitars, amps and pedals..Once I get around to buying a soldering iron and practice with it for a little bit, I'm going to pick up a couple of those BYOC and see what happens...I would always love to build an amp-kit one day if I ever become competent enough to accomplish such a task...

My guess is that you're asking about the BYOC pedal (Overdrive Special on my board)?

It really depends on which shoes I'm wearing. It's winter and I usually wear my redwing boots. With those all of the pedals are hard to hit because the stomp switches go between the shoe treads. In summer with tennis shoes it's not a problem.

Right now however, I mostly keep the overdrive on while playing in my classic rock band. I have a type of boost on my amp pedal that I use instead of the boost on the BYOC pedal.

Yeah, thats what I meant. My bad [blush]

I hear you. I have a really nice pair of running shoes I can't wear while playing guitar because the switch goes in between the treads.

Just wasn't sure if that was an issue for you. I'll probably end up trying to put one together later when I have more money [thumbup]

It looks super sweet

I love the Mastotron

Just saying

Me too. I like that it's really splatty and retains the low end. It actually preserves the low end better than the Fuzz Factory. It doesn't do the whacky Fuzz Factory stuff but it's really tweakable and just awesome sounding. And it's also very fairly priced, especially for a ZVex pedal..

I've been looking for one on craigslist for a while. It's at the top of my list.

Chase I watched a demo of the Wet Reverb and it is awesome [scared]

Me too. I like that it's really splatty and retains the low end. It actually preserves the low end better than the Fuzz Factory. It doesn't do the whacky Fuzz Factory stuff but it's really tweakable and just awesome sounding. And it's also very fairly priced, especially for a ZVex pedal..

I've been looking for one on craigslist for a while. It's at the top of my list.

I believe it was made for bass (or so I hear) and it has that mini toggle to choose how much bass gets retained. It's more of a straight up fuzz, which I prefer.

I'm still playing with the Fuzz Factory. Once I find somehting I think works, I don't like it the next day

Thanks man..I'm always curious to hear other people's views on different guitars, amps and pedals..Once I get around to buying a soldering iron and practice with it for a little bit, I'm going to pick up a couple of those BYOC and see what happens...I would always love to build an amp-kit one day if I ever become competent enough to accomplish such a task...

If you're new to soldering then the Overdrive 2 is probably not the best one to start learning on. There was a lot of soldering. They make easier pedals that sound great. Soldering pedals is NOT the same as building an amp. They each have their own unique challenges. If I decide to build another/more pedals I will buy a smaller soldering tip for my iron. The one I used worked, but at times a smaller one would have made it easier to work.

If you want to build an amp or amp kit I suggest reading Dave Hunters "The Guitar Amp Handbook." It explains how amps work in easy to read format.

Yeah, thats what I meant. My bad [blush]

I hear you. I have a really nice pair of running shoes I can't wear while playing guitar because the switch goes in between the treads.

Just wasn't sure if that was an issue for you. I'll probably end up trying to put one together later when I have more money [thumbup]

It looks super sweet

They seem like great pedals so far and they have a lot of different choices. I say go for it!! They also have a forum to discuss building, ask questions, and have stickies to help beginners. You should go there just to see how everyone is designing their pedals. I found that to be the hardest part - decals & paint.

Nice job on the BYOC, Rog. Turned out great. I'm jonesing to do another one myself. The other day my

son dropped the Leeds I built. Chipped two corners off the beautiful finish I'd worked so hard on...

Oh well, a good excuse to build something else,right?

Finished.jpg

Nice job on the BYOC, Rog. Turned out great. I'm jonesing to do another one myself. The other day my

son dropped the Leeds I built. Chipped two corners off the beautiful finish I'd worked so hard on...

Finished.jpg

I love the paint and art on your pedal. Your Live at Leeds is what inspired me to buy one. I enjoy the electronics part but hate the paint, decal, finish. That's why I've not tried to build another guitar - I don't have the patience for the finishing. It's weird because I DO have the patience to build the electronics in an amp but not paint & finishing work. That's also why I buy amp cabinets and don't even try to build them.

IMG_0713.jpg

Your decals look good to me, Roger [thumbup] But I know what you mean - watching paint dry

isn't too fun. I tend to rush it and mess up instead of letting each coat dry fully (which

can take a while in Florida). Next time I might go with a powder-coated box instead of the

raw one that comes with the BYOC kit. Save me a lot of the boring work. You can get them in

most any color and they're not very expensive.

I believe it was made for bass (or so I hear) and it has that mini toggle to choose how much bass gets retained. It's more of a straight up fuzz, which I prefer.

I'm still playing with the Fuzz Factory. Once I find somehting I think works, I don't like it the next day

The Wooly Mammoth was designed for bass I don't think the Mastotron was. Either way it probably rocks for bass and it's good with passive and active pickups.

I really want one...

I know what you mean about the Fuzz Factory. I think part of that might be due to temperature change or something. I've spent enough hours nerding out on mine that I've found some settings that I always love. Maybe a little tweak hear or there.

I know it's kindof cheating but if you watch some YouTube demos they usually use some cool settings that you can copy. The PGS demo of the Vexter is good for settings.

Ha I'm really happy with it..its another pedal that I basically leave on most of the time...thats very interesting to know you leave your SHO on all the time..I've never messed with with a SHO, just the Fuzz Factory, BoM, and a Johhny Octave..hows it boost OD's or a dirty amp? Would love to have one of those as well... :-"

Finished.jpg

I don't know if I have said this before, but that graphic is sweet as hell

I don't know if I have said this before, but that graphic is sweet as hell

Thanks. Gotta love the Internet. It's ripped right off the album cover. Then I made it

into a band/stripe to wrap around the pedal. Printed, glued, poly-ed, done.

Yea Surf...seriously cool..this that your "#1" pedal?

Thanks, bro. Truthfully, I don't really use it at all. It's not

even on my pedal board right now. It's a cool pedal, but very 60s

sounding! Not really my bag. It makes single note type stuff sound

so thick because of the subtle octave, but chords are a little mushy.

I enjoyed the h*ll out of building it though. I like projects.

I think maybe I'll do a Fuzz Face clone or a Rangemaster clone

next.

Ha I'm really happy with it..its another pedal that I basically leave on most of the time...thats very interesting to know you leave your SHO on all the time..I've never messed with with a SHO, just the Fuzz Factory, BoM, and a Johhny Octave..hows it boost OD's or a dirty amp? Would love to have one of those as well... :-"

I leave it on all the time because it gives me more clarity and a little extra sparkle. It's awesome for boosting other pedals.

Also I'm sure you know how some Ge fuzz pedals clean up well when you roll your guitar's volume down.. I found that if I set my SHO low and put it before my FF it cleans it up really nicely. If I turn it up it drives pedals perfectly.

If your amp has a lot of headroom it can get pretty loud. It's perfect for boosting a clean or dirty amp. It's the most usable pedal evahhh.

Thanks, bro. Truthfully, I don't really use it at all. It's not

even on my pedal board right now. It's a cool pedal, but very 60s

sounding! Not really my bag. It makes single note type stuff sound

so thick because of the subtle octave, but chords are a little mushy.

I enjoyed the h*ll out of building it though. I like projects.

I think maybe I'll do a Fuzz Face clone or a Rangemaster clone

next.

I'll have to look into doing one then. Getting way into the 60s garage rock kinda tones

I'll have to look into doing one then. Getting way into the 60s garage rock kinda tones

The Leeds will certainly do that. It actually has two sounds though. The little switch in

the middle scoops the mids for a more Big Muffy kinda sound. (Though to me it scoops them

a bit too much. I'm thinking about tweaking it so that the two sounds are a little closer

to one another.)

Archived