Gibson Brands Forums

So what are you passionate about?

daveinspain

Dem00n, I wish you were passionate about spelling; you left the "i" out of "penis".

LOL!!!! [lol]

Mine would be sports cars, especially vintage/classic/antique, and my truck and my horse. This is Sable (aka Booboo). Can I get a collective 'Awwwwwwwww."? [wub]

(Notice the look on her face here... she's saying "You're not hauling me in that, are you?!"

IMG_1180.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL!!!! [lol]

Mine would be sports cars, especially vintage/classic/antique, and my truck and my horse. This is Sable (aka Booboo). Can I get a collective 'Awwwwwwwww."? [wub]

(Notice the look on her face here... she's saying "You're not hauling me in that, are you?!"

IMG_1180.jpg

Nice horse! Do you hunt those huge Alberta whitetails there? Thats one of my bucket list items!

modeling. esp. small gauge railroading (N scale at the moment).

electronics. i discovered building tube amps, which rekindles this interest.

programming. i make a good living writing software, so it is good i have an insatiable desire to stay educated...

baseball. not just a specific team, but the history and tradition in general. tho, I do "root for the home team", the White Sox.

history. all kinds, but esp. early american and the world wars.

music. all kinds again.

the kids. my oldest son wants me to start giving him drum lessons. [biggrin]

cheers!

Don

Interesting post lots of different interests. I would say Art is the main driver in my life as a whole I make jewelry, sculptures, damascus steel, Forge knives, as well as doing ceramics (wheelwork), glass work both glassblowing and torch work beads as well as stained glass windows. I also have a couple of printing presses from the 20's and 30's and all the leaded and wood letters etc that go with that hobby, along with carving Lithograph plates to print art posters and small 3x5 art cards. Almost forgot also work in leather holster, sheaths, belts, straps, bags etc.

When I'm not doing all that I like to read mostly since I can't really stand to watch TV. I don't hunt anymore at all (police work cured that) but I like to flyfish to relax especially in the small catch and release urban ponds by my house they stock them with small trout and other fish and there quite the challenge on small barbless flies.

Retro I love throwing on the wheel and printing.

I haven't thrown in a while so I'm probably pretty rusty (although I was never great to begin with) but I love it. I could just throw all day.

I also love drawing and painting but I have to really be in the mood to do it. If I'm working on something, I won't even touch it if I don't feel just right. So I'm ridiculously slow. I'm even worse at painting than I am at playing guitar... With ceramics I'm always in the mood and I work a lot faster.

I'd like to try working with glass but that's kindof a hard medium to get into. I'm taking another screenprinting class this semester.

One of my favorite things is area history. From James Towne, to the Revolutionary War and The Civil war. With the summer Repo's every year always somthing to see. I also love to hunt but, I love the Blackpowder rifle's . Here's just a couple. From 45 to 75 Cal. Muskets.

1963 Gibson classical C-1E

with original case

This guitar is truly beautiful. The guitar has some crazing of the finish, but certainly doesn't affect the playability of the guitar. Few tiny dings on the lower back, but not all that noticeable. Otherwise, the guitar is in great shape. Comes with the original brown alligator-style case (in good, but slightly rough shape).

Karen - Nice looking horse, although I have to say I'm not a fan of horse's Ive been around them twice and both times I ended up in the emergency room [crying]

I guess it's only fair to say it's likely my fault both times but i'm the definitive city boy I was born in LA, went to school in Boston, spent some time in Detroit then Phoenix and now 1/2 time in Chicago so not much of a rural upbringing. The first time I ever touched a horse, I was a police officer and someone's baby horse got out and was dodging traffic on a major street and they sent me the city boy to catch it. An old rancher type of guy stopped and after he quit laughing at me for trying to drag this little horse around with yellow traffic control tape tied to it's neck he told me to get a hold of it by one ear and it's lip or nostril whatever it is on a horse and then gently lead it and it would follow me even though it was terrified.

Well the ear and lip thing was working very well and the horse was finally out of traffic and I was walking it along until I could get somewhere to tie it up, the colt was really scared shaking and making horse crying noises or screeches or whatever there called and what the old guy had forgotten to tell me was that even though I was saving the baby horses life and trying to lead it out of the street all with no problem what he should of told me was that baby horses even though there cute and scared also have big, pissed off mother horses who for some reason didn't understand that I was saving her baby by dragging it around by one ear and it's lip so she ran over and basically kicked my *** big time she grabbed my shoulder with big old nasty huge teeth threw me on the ground the raired up and stomped both front feet into my ribcage cracking three ribs and detaching the sternum. The ER doctor said if I would not have been wearing bulletproof vest it would have likely been fatal. After the horse stomped my chest it it walked over and started eating grass and just watching me. I like to think it was my inner goodness that prevented me from shooting that damn horse and it's baby but honestly I was to bust hurting and coughing up blood. I did ask the ambulance driver to at least use the siren to chase the horses back into the roadway so she could get her chest caved in also but no luck.

the second time I got near a horse again not by choice but my wife and I were on vacation in Mexico and she wanted to ride the horses along the beach so we went to a stable and she was busy saddling a very pretty horse she chose to ride. The horse person took one look at my 6'4" 260 pound frame and said I should ride this black horse he was bigger and strong he said the horse was somewhat spirited and lazy but I could handle it no problem. He asked me what kind of saddle i liked to ride and when I answered a Harley davidson saddle he didnt have that.. when we were leaving after my wife had done everything for her horse while I looked on stupidly while a 11 year old girl set mine up as a rough climbed up and was sitting on the horse the girl said that the horse was lazy and would try to come back to the barn but just be firm and that the horse would also try to bit the bit in it's mouth but I should be strong enough with the type of control bit to control him so we rode out.

we had a beautiful sunset ride along the sand and other that the horse trying to reach back and bite me we were good. until we turned back then the horse lost it's mind it was shaking and jumping around like it need it afternoon fix or something and my wife just laugh and said oh she jut want to go back to relax and eat. just keep on his reigns and don't let him run. I was doing all right and then the horse taught me what they meant about him biting the bit thing in his mouth he clamped down on it so hard and he was planning on taken off well I yanked back on the reigns thinking I could either get the bit loose or break his damn neck and so I had his head pulled all the way back almost to me and he took off at a dead run even though his head was pulled so far to the side he couldn't see anything so I'm yanking on the reigns wishing i had a two by four to plant between the horses years and then I'd walk back well I looked up and we were at a dead run and about ten feet in from of a large wooden telephone pole. well the horse never stopped and he ran into the pole at full speed knocking the horse out cold and slamming me into the pole about nine feet of the ground so not only was I knocked out cold with a minor concussion but I also slid 7 or eigh t feet down the pole filling my arms with huge nasty splinters.

So no more horses ever the closest I get to horses now is the dog food Aisle I look at the cans and hope that those two horse and it's damn baby have ended up in a alpo can...

Karen - Nice looking horse, although I have to say I'm not a fan of horse's Ive been around them twice and both times I ended up in the emergency room [crying]

I guess it's only fair to say it's likely my fault both times but i'm the definitive city boy I was born in LA, went to school in Boston, spent some time in Detroit then Phoenix and now 1/2 time in Chicago so not much of a rural upbringing. The first time I ever touched a horse, I was a police officer and someone's baby horse got out and was dodging traffic on a major street and they sent me the city boy to catch it. An old rancher type of guy stopped and after he quit laughing at me for trying to drag this little horse around with yellow traffic control tape tied to it's neck he told me to get a hold of it by one ear and it's lip or nostril whatever it is on a horse and then gently lead it and it would follow me even though it was terrified.

Well the ear and lip thing was working very well and the horse was finally out of traffic and I was walking it along until I could get somewhere to tie it up, the colt was really scared shaking and making horse crying noises or screeches or whatever there called and what the old guy had forgotten to tell me was that even though I was saving the baby horses life and trying to lead it out of the street all with no problem what he should of told me was that baby horses even though there cute and scared also have big, pissed off mother horses who for some reason didn't understand that I was saving her baby by dragging it around by one ear and it's lip so she ran over and basically kicked my *** big time she grabbed my shoulder with big old nasty huge teeth threw me on the ground the raired up and stomped both front feet into my ribcage cracking three ribs and detaching the sternum. The ER doctor said if I would not have been wearing bulletproof vest it would have likely been fatal. After the horse stomped my chest it it walked over and started eating grass and just watching me. I like to think it was my inner goodness that prevented me from shooting that damn horse and it's baby but honestly I was to bust hurting and coughing up blood. I did ask the ambulance driver to at least use the siren to chase the horses back into the roadway so she could get her chest caved in also but no luck.

the second time I got near a horse again not by choice but my wife and I were on vacation in Mexico and she wanted to ride the horses along the beach so we went to a stable and she was busy saddling a very pretty horse she chose to ride. The horse person took one look at my 6'4" 260 pound frame and said I should ride this black horse he was bigger and strong he said the horse was somewhat spirited and lazy but I could handle it no problem. He asked me what kind of saddle i liked to ride and when I answered a Harley davidson saddle he didnt have that.. when we were leaving after my wife had done everything for her horse while I looked on stupidly while a 11 year old girl set mine up as a rough climbed up and was sitting on the horse the girl said that the horse was lazy and would try to come back to the barn but just be firm and that the horse would also try to bit the bit in it's mouth but I should be strong enough with the type of control bit to control him so we rode out.

we had a beautiful sunset ride along the sand and other that the horse trying to reach back and bite me we were good. until we turned back then the horse lost it's mind it was shaking and jumping around like it need it afternoon fix or something and my wife just laugh and said oh she jut want to go back to relax and eat. just keep on his reigns and don't let him run. I was doing all right and then the horse taught me what they meant about him biting the bit thing in his mouth he clamped down on it so hard and he was planning on taken off well I yanked back on the reigns thinking I could either get the bit loose or break his damn neck and so I had his head pulled all the way back almost to me and he took off at a dead run even though his head was pulled so far to the side he couldn't see anything so I'm yanking on the reigns wishing i had a two by four to plant between the horses years and then I'd walk back well I looked up and we were at a dead run and about ten feet in from of a large wooden telephone pole. well the horse never stopped and he ran into the pole at full speed knocking the horse out cold and slamming me into the pole about nine feet of the ground so not only was I knocked out cold with a minor concussion but I also slid 7 or eigh t feet down the pole filling my arms with huge nasty splinters.

So no more horses ever the closest I get to horses now is the dog food Aisle I look at the cans and hope that those two horse and it's damn baby have ended up in a alpo can...

OMG Retro! After all that, I'm surprised my horse pic didn't send you into post-traumatic-stress-disorder convulsions!

No question, playing with reactive 1000 pound animals is high-risk. Even my horse, who's 25 years old and well broke, will spook over a leaf blowing across the road or a starling swooping in front of her. I've landed on my a$$ before. They're such amazing loving and accepting animals tho', if they're treated right, so it's worth it to us horsey-types. Sable runs in from the field when she sees my truck coming down the road. She runs in to the paddock gate when I call her, and she nickers when I say 'carrot?'

Sounds like the Mexican riding group shouldn't have been using that horse. If he was that herd-bound, he's a risk. Even Sable will get, uh, enthusiastic, when we're out on a trail ride, and I've had to run her around in circles to slow her down. That's way more effective than just pulling on the reins. If you didn't have a lot of experience riding horses they should have given you a more suitable horse. Saying "you can handle it' tells me that THAT horse really shouldn't have been in that string.

And colts/fillies/foals are still minimally 100 pounds and very strong, and if they decide they're not moving, they're not moving. I have never come across an aggressive possessive mare like that but it sounds like the owner of those two needs his knuckles wrapped for not protecting them properly.

Yeah, it's definitely a risk, but the pay off is huge. Here we are this past November (me in the blue), just wandering across the fields. Doesn't get better than this!

CopyofDSCN1942.jpg

CopyofDSCN1947.jpg

Classic American Cars. (56 Buick Special please.)

Cooking NON professionally (I actually cook at home again.)

Bicycles, Riding and building.

I too want to set up a lil Luthier shop at home to build electrics.

I try to put a little passion in all things I do, it usually results in a better end product.

here are my passions beside guitars, in no particular order:

-Music. Very self-explanatory; without music my life would be pretty meaningless...

-Nature. Canoeing, hiking, camping, fishing, etc... I love to just escape from life sometimes, and when I do I love to be out in nature, among all it's beauty. My favorite place on earth is Quetico Provincial Park. Absolutely amazing place [biggrin]

-Riding roller coasters... I love the adrenaline rush!! [thumbup]

-History; particularly U.S. history and the WWII era. Fascinating stuff.

-Collecting stuff; in particular I collect Zippo's, knives, vinyl records, coins, and stamps.

-Art; Mostly I'm a photographer and a painter. I love nature/landscape scenes, lighthouses/coastal stuff, and basically anything like what Thomas Kinkade paints ;)

That's about all I can think of right now... there's probably more but I can't think of them right now...

• 1 month later...

Tman,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Rescue, CA actually, about eleven miles northwest of Placerville.

That's cool. Placerville? Been to the area many times.

It's great to take a passion and write about it or some other similar project. I wrote a diet book/cook book that was published in 07 and nominated for a Beard award - sorry about the bragging, but a lot of satisfaction. [blush]

Now putting all the energy into playing guitar.

Tman,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Rescue, CA actually, about eleven miles northwest of Placerville.

That's cool. Placerville? Been to the area many times.

It's great to take a passion and write about it or some other similar project. I wrote a diet book/cook book that was published in 07 and nominated for a Beard award - sorry about the bragging, but a lot of satisfaction. [blush]

Now putting all the energy into playing guitar.

Guest FarnsBarns

My Wife first! (Covered that in case she should stumble across this ; )

Disc Golf (Play in the UK national tour as an advanced amateur, hope to move up to the open division one of these days)

Minis, real ones, not the new German imposters!

Ultima GTR

Web Development (PHP, Java, HTML5, Flash etc etc) although that is my job really but I am self employed.

Linux hacking/development/administration, job agian but hey!

AndroidOS (phones) hacking.

Besides guitars, some of the things I'm passionate about are:

Music - obviously, I think this applies to anyone here on the Gibson forums since we all make / play music with our guitars ;)

Art - I've been drawing and painting since I was very young, maybe 4 years old. I'm more naturally talented at art than playing guitar sadly -- had a late start learning to play guitar, a little after I graduated college

Cinematography/ Video editing - it's a fun hobby creating short videos/films and editing them with Final Cut Express

Working out - I workout everyday... I was able to lose over 60 lbs

Besides guitars, some of the things I'm passionate about are:

Music - obviously, I think this applies to anyone here on the Gibson forums since we all make / play music with our guitars ;)

Art - I've been drawing and painting since I was very young, maybe 4 years old. I'm more naturally talented at art than playing guitar sadly -- had a late start learning to play guitar, a little after I graduated college

Cinematography/ Video editing - it's a fun hobby creating short videos/films and editing them with Final Cut Express

Working out - I workout everyday... I was able to lose over 60 lbs

hmm interesting. I can't really tell if I'm better at art or guitar. I'm definately more expressive/ creative with music but I'm not really sure. I'm not particularly great at either.

Anyways you should post some pictures of your art. I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Archived