Gibson Brands Forums

What Caps, Pots, types, shafts and ohms do I need?

glennc

Hello,

I apologize for asking this question again. But I have received so many varied answers that I'd appreciate another knowledgeable go round on specifics for an upgrade. I wish to convert an Epiphone Les Paul to a gibson upgrade. What I am looking for is a vintage, historic reissue style setup. It will have a 57 Classic in the rhythm position and a P-94T in the bridge. I know that Gibson uses different quality potentiometers. I want the ones that come on the high end guitars, that move with a touch of finger, not the IMHO ones on Studios, that require a firm grab of the knob to turn. I have been told that the modern setup is 300K ohm linear taper volume pots. 500K ohm Audio Taper Pots for the volume. .022 microfarad capacitors for both. Alternately for the older vintage sound to go with 500K ohm Linear Taper Posts for volume and tone with the .022 microfarad capacitors. I plan tentatively to use the orange drop spraque capacitors. I have been informed both ways on the long shaft and the short shaft. Others have indicated different cap values than the .022's, some with .047 microfarad in place of one of the .022's. Still others have gone farther afield in valuation of capacitance. A site that sell kits use 4 500k ohm audio tapers, short shafts with 2 0.022 caps.

So as you may ascertain, I am completely lost. I know there are a lot of very experienced people on this site, some experimenter, some reps. Would someone take pity on this writer and give me the values I need to get the most classic 57 style sounds with it and a good old P-90 sound for the P-94T? Any assistance is appreciated.

Secondly a member of this forum pointed out a guitar that was made for Guitar Center and I was forced to sell things to acquire one. It seems to be basically a Les Paul Junior with bound neck, stained gloss finish and real P-90s in it. It also has the lesser IMO quality potentiometers in it. These will need replacing, think I'm good on the toggle switch as it accepts the standard toggle switch antique colored plastic cap, unlike the Studio version toggle switches. I like the sound so I am assuming that the values of pots and caps are alright, just change over to a better style pots, to make it mine. Then I have to wait to find which pots I need reference shaft length and their particular spline pattern as I wish to change out the black top hats to Black Speed Knobs.

So as Blanche Dubois said "I depend so much, on the kindness of strangers". Thanks, please?

glennc

glennc

Hey, Glenn.

I just asked a similar question and Willy helped me out with a ton of info. The post is here http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/61124-let-me-rephrase-the-question-p94-swap-questions/

Hopefully that'll be of some help.

-Fud

Hello Fudloe,

Thank you very much! I will give it a try. Willy must be pretty cool. Did you make the same swap or just thinking of it?

Take care.

glennc

Current Custom Shop Les Pauls (R7, R8, R9, R0) use 500K CTS audio taper volume and tone pots along with .022 Caps and 50's wiring. This is what was used in 1957-1960 Les Pauls. Here is a sample: RS GuitarWorks Reissue Kit

Hello Tom99SS,

That sounds like what I want. Thank you for giving an answer and for the site. Will look into them, seems expensive but I assume is all you have to do is solder in the pickups and toggle. Will look over the site better. Much appreciated.

glennc

Hello Tom99SS,

That sounds like what I want. Thank you for giving an answer and for the site. Will look into them, seems expensive but I assume is all you have to do is solder in the pickups and toggle. Will look over the site better. Much appreciated.

glennc

You can buy the pieces individually for less that $70 total I think. If you can solder this is probably your better option.

You can buy the pieces individually for less that $70 total I think. If you can solder this is probably your better option.

Tom99SS,

That makes more fiscal sense. Now I've seen YouTube videos with a test of different makes and types of capacitors. Do you or anyone have any advice or opinion on that. I was thinking the red cap type. Thanks again.

glennc

Tom99SS,

That makes more fiscal sense. Now I've seen YouTube videos with a test of different makes and types of capacitors. Do you or anyone have any advice or opinion on that. I was thinking the red cap type. Thanks again.

glennc

A good PIO cap is what I like. Have the Luxe Bumblebees in both of my Les Pauls. Really like them, adds a nice creamy tone. Sprague Vitamin Q's are nice (they are also PIO). IMHO anything is better than the ceramic disc caps that come stock. Do a search as I am sure there are a few posts talking about caps.

A good PIO cap is what I like. Have the Luxe Bumblebees in both of my Les Pauls. Really like them, adds a nice creamy tone. Sprague Vitamin Q's are nice (they are also PIO). IMHO anything is better than the ceramic disc caps that come stock. Do a search as I am sure there are a few posts talking about caps.

Will do, thanks again!

glennc

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, sir! Been busy tryin' to get the parts in. I haven't made the swap yet, but I should be doing it sometime in the next week. Bridge position P-94 is on backorder until 01/31. I'm going for .015 caps to keep it bright when I dial down the Vol, but other than that, I'm doing the 50's wiring. Caps, pots, new bridge, shielding tape and ONE pup are sittin' here waiting for surgery to begin! I plan on doing a photo-chronicle of the operation, so keep an eye out for the post.

Let me know how your upgrade goes!

-Fud

Sorry, sir! Been busy tryin' to get the parts in. I haven't made the swap yet, but I should be doing it sometime in the next week. Bridge position P-94 is on backorder until 01/31. I'm going for .015 caps to keep it bright when I dial down the Vol, but other than that, I'm doing the 50's wiring. Caps, pots, new bridge, shielding tape and ONE pup are sittin' here waiting for surgery to begin! I plan on doing a photo-chronicle of the operation, so keep an eye out for the post.

Let me know how your upgrade goes!

-Fud

Howdy again Fudloe,

Not a problem Sir. Wish you the best of luck and speed with your build. Thanks a lot, if you get to document and post the change.

That would be cool! Also, please don't forget a sound bite hopefully before and after. Take care. Be safe.

glennc

Archived