Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute at 2011 NAMM?

bluesguitar65

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No "Orange Drop" caps on mine. Can't speak for others.

Sound is basically the same, P-90 tone wise...but the mids

Are more apparent, in the '50's, whereas the '60's has

a slight more amount of bass, or "roundness," to it. (I just A/B'd

them, together, in the same amp, same settings...on the amp,

and having the guitar volume/tone controls "Full on!") So...

depending on one's "needs," that might dictate which one you'll

prefer? Adding Orange Drop's is always an option, too. But,

No, my '60's didn't come with them, from the factory. Hope

that helps?

CB

60's Studio Tribute is available in Goldtop, Honeyburst and Cherryburst for certain. These are the colors they have ( HAD by now) at Daves in LaCrosse. I bought a Goldtop, and 4 others were sold in the 90 minutes I was there! The Tribute SG's appear to be available in White, Natural and Cherry.

My Goldtop is a 2 piece back, so forget those ****** rumors about 'scraps and pieces' being used for these! The low price is due to simplicity - no binding, thin nitro finish, P-90's. They do get the PLEK treatment, and mine was setup very nicely. Plays great, sounds great and looks cool. Gets 4 to 4.5 stars from me, 5 when price is considered.

No Caps on the tone controls of my 60's either. So there you have the differences between the 50's Trib and the 60's Trib, different neck carve and no tone caps. My dealer, Dave's Guitar Shop, was unsure if these are intended as a limited run or not, but the last I heard was that they were getting 2 shipments total. That would tend to make me think they're limited.

I don't know if I'm more careful about picking guitars, or just plain lucky, but I have only had quality issues with Gibson once in nearly 30 years! It was exposed fret ends on a Faded SG, but even that was a 'coditional' problem. They were worst in the winter (in MN) when the humidity was lower. In summer it wasn't really noticeable. I NEVER buy mail order, on line or eBay UNLESS someone I trust has inspected the guitar. On my 60's Tribute GT the build quality is excellent, non of the issues some of you are seeing. I bought it on the 20th, and it's build date is the 13th, so it was only a week old when I got it (ya can still smell the finish a bit). I'm hoping Gibson will be able to restore their reputation again, they've certainly done it before. It might help if they focused on quality again, instead of wasting time and effort on 'novelty' guitars like Robots or the abortion that is the Firebird X. Work the core, and put your heart and soul into it. That will restore confidence, and the Gibson reputation.

I got the burst I wanted...and I got a one-piece body. I'm pretty sure this is the holy grail for me. And this neck is just perfect. Oh, hell yes.

One piece body???! Really...I didn't know they used those, for this model guitar?!

If that's true, good for you! I thought, at first examination, in the store,

that mine was a 1 piece, but when I looked at the back edge, I could see the seam.

It's really well matched, even so. I'm totally fine, with it, as is! It sounds,

plays, and looks Great!

Congratulations, Blackflag! Enjoy!!

CB

One piece body???! Really...I didn't know they used those, for this model guitar?!

If that's true, good for you! I thought, at first examination, in the store,

that mine was a 1 piece, but when I looked at the back edge, I could see the seam.

It's really well matched, even so. I'm totally fine, with it, as is! It sounds,

plays, and looks Great!

Congratulations, Blackflag! Enjoy!!

CB

Thanks, man. Yeah, I examined it with a fine tooth comb, because you may remember a 1 or 2pc body is a big deal to me...it's the real deal. I'm not sure why they made this into a studio, but it was pretty damn hard for me to find...I searched it out. Of course, it's not as gorgeous as that ribbon-looking 2pc you have...it's plain. But it is a verified tone machine.

Pictures pending... I really like this guitar.

Is this topic going to 50 pages to?

Mebbie.... [tongue]

No Caps on the tone controls of my 60's either. So there you have the differences between the 50's Trib and the 60's Trib, different neck carve and no tone caps. My dealer, Dave's Guitar Shop, was unsure if these are intended as a limited run or not, but the last I heard was that they were getting 2 shipments total. That would tend to make me think they're limited.

I don't know if I'm more careful about picking guitars, or just plain lucky, but I have only had quality issues with Gibson once in nearly 30 years! It was exposed fret ends on a Faded SG, but even that was a 'coditional' problem. They were worst in the winter (in MN) when the humidity was lower. In summer it wasn't really noticeable. I NEVER buy mail order, on line or eBay UNLESS someone I trust has inspected the guitar. On my 60's Tribute GT the build quality is excellent, non of the issues some of you are seeing. I bought it on the 20th, and it's build date is the 13th, so it was only a week old when I got it (ya can still smell the finish a bit). I'm hoping Gibson will be able to restore their reputation again, they've certainly done it before. It might help if they focused on quality again, instead of wasting time and effort on 'novelty' guitars like Robots or the abortion that is the Firebird X. Work the core, and put your heart and soul into it. That will restore confidence, and the Gibson reputation.

IMO, Gibson's reputation needs no restoration. They are still one of if not THE premier American guitar manufacturers, and one of the top in the world. Their guitars have always been and still are one of the top choices by professional musicians the world over, and have been and are being used on countless recordings including much of the music that continues to shape generations, as they have since the electric guitar was invented. And the Firebird X, other Robots and other innovative pieces simply help to push the envelope for development of the genre, and help to keep them at the forefront of the industry. It's not like those things distract them from the "classic" or "traditional" types of guitars we've always expected from them.

BTW, I may just be lucky also. But of my 10 guitars (11 actually, but one is leaving), all but two were bought sight unseen, either ordered new from a dealer or bought used (one new) on eBay. And I've had no issues to speak of with these, gotten great deals on most, and am very pleased with each and every one.

Your guitar looks like a winner. Right now I'm trying to find any mention of the country that it is being manufactured in.

Oy... [rolleyes] These are Gibson USA guitars, and as are ALL Gibson USA guitars, they are made in.... (say it with me people...) The USA.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

Well, i jump the gun a few days ago and pre-ordered the 60's goldtop. I got the the 50's tribute last year and i'm loving it. I found a 20% off with trade in coupon through my GC reward zone card. So i was able to knock of $275 off $850. I couldn't pass up on that deal. Now i'm wondering which one will get a set of mini buckers (gibson or seymour antiquityII).

j

Here is my Studio 60's Tribute Les Paul. I bought it from Rainbow Guitars in AZ. I talk to Harvey from Rainbow Guitar and ask him if he had a gold top with only a two piece body. Harvey told me that he would look and call me back which he did and told me that he had this one guitar that had a two piece body but it was not split down the middle as some. Harvey told me that it was almost a one piece body but there was a second piece that was only 1 ½" wide that ran through the control cove and the fret board had an even dark color to it, so I had Harvey go ahead and send it to me. [Just a side note, if you are going to buy one of these guitars, makes sure you buy it from a company that will take the time to look for what you are wanting otherwise you don't know if you will be getting a butcher block guitar body or not. Just saying]

Anyway the guitar was everything that Harvey said it was and more, I'm very happy with the guitar. The LP sounds great, feels great, plays great and looks awesome. The neck was not as thin as I thought it was going to be, which was just fine with me. As we all know the P-90's are awesome, I love playing the blues and I could not ask for a better sound from the pickups.

If you end up buying one; Enjoy it -

• 3 weeks later...

Wow...I could have (almost) sworn, I saw this as a 3-piece back,

though nicely matched. But, it's hard to tell, for sure, from just

the photo. It looks like a seam from the cutaway, down, and one on

the other side, in the lower bout. Sometimes, they are very hard

to detect. But...Either way, Nice Guitar!!

CB

Wow...I could have (almost) sworn, I saw this as a 3-piece back,

though nicely matched. But, it's hard to tell, for sure, from just

the photo. It looks like a seam from the cutaway, down, and one on

the other side, in the lower bout. Sometimes, they are very hard

to detect. But...Either way, Nice Guitar!!

CB

Yeah, I've looked at the grain from every angle to make sure... The photo isn't very good.

But any way you slice it, it sounds great, and plays great...so what the hell. [thumbup]

Archived