Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Trade-In

69 Son

I'm really loving my 09 Les Paul Standard, the Burstbucker Pro's sound amazing and the Assymetrical neck is fast becoming my favorite profile.

Sam Ash has the same model (mine's an 09, theirs is an '08, used) except in a nicer top. Mine is ebony, the one I'm looking at is a burst.

I was thinking about trading +cash for it but I don't want to get bent over too bad. I'm looking for opinions on what would be fair. I've asked about their pricing and they aren't really dealing. They are asking $2200 for this USED 08 Standard by the way.

[confused]

$2,200 for a USED '08 sounds high. I paid $2,000 for a new '07 Classic Antique which in my mind is the same or better than the new Standards.

I got my NEW 2010 Gibby Traditional Plus for 2030$ and that INCLUDED 2-day shipping...no deal...1800$ maximum for it...

Your better off selling your LP to a private owner. As we all know, all music stores have to make money to stay in business. I would see what Sam Ash is willing to give you on a trade in. Subtract this amount from what a similar LP is selling for used at Sam Ash. Divide the difference in half, add that to the trade in offer amount and advertise it for sale in your local Craigslist. Your LP will be priced lower than what Sam Ash is selling it for which may quickly attract a well informed buyer. Just a suggestion. I have traded low end gear into the big box music stores several times knowing I could get more if I sold it privately only because I didn't want to be bothered by tire kickers. Higher end stuff I always try and sell on my own. Good luck.

Kenny V

Yes they wanted $1100 plus my newer used same-model guitar. I see posts about going to the smaller dealers but there's no independent dealers locally, it's SA and GC, the GC doesn't even have any Standards and hasn't for awhile, and SA wants $2700 out the door. Guess what I told them, lol.

Archived