Gibson Brands Forums

Two piece body matters or not?

Lungimsam

Just wundrin if it means it's a lower quality axe. Sound affected or not by having 2 pieces?

It's extremely normal, if you mean 2 pieces, left and right, with a center seam. Extremely expensive basses often are split left and right, and if the back side is a different wood from the front, it could be 4 pieces.

Has it occured to you that a neck-thru ax has seperate left and right halves glued to the center beam ?

There's nothing superior about a 1 piece body except for appearance, if the grain is enhanced .... but book matched halves are also great looking.

`

Done right, and I assume Gibson will do it right, it shouldn't have any effect. Done wrong, well...

Another thing to think about is the top veneer over a guitar's body. It is another piece of wood, even though it is a thin piece of wood. The number of pieces doesn't bother me a bit, personally.

I have seen a photo of MIM Fender bodies before final machining and finishing, and they looked like a glued up stack of 2x4s. I can't really tell the difference by listening to one, so it doesn't matter, at least not to me. They might even be half Bondo for all I know.

Archived