Gibson Brands Forums

Does Anyone Recognise This Epiphone?????

Nidge

Hi Guys and Girls,

Just joined this great forum and I wondered if anyone could help me identify this rather nice Epiphone electric that I have just picked up. I am looking to purchase it of a friend but he knows nothing about it either so we are both lost as to a guide price (I don't know what to offer and he does not know what it is worth so can't give me a price).

It has no information on it other than Epiphone on the headstock. It has been used and does have some dinks and a few sctratches here and there.

Hope you can help me.

Many thanks in advance.

Nidge.

post-29326-020441200 1295109035_thumb.jpg

ahh ok. Youve got the Epiphone SC-550.

they made the scroll series between 1976 and 1979. The SC-550 has the characteristic SC body with

scrolled bass bout and German carve. The three-piece bolt-on mahogany neck, has an ebonized

maple fingerboard with white dot inlays. The chrome hardware is the typical Gibson style

configuration with 3-a-side tuners, wraparound bridge, 2 humbuckers, volume/tone controls,

3-way selector. It came in the Mahogany finish, black, natural and a few more if I recall.

Im not sure about the grovers? I dont think those came on the scroll series [confused]

looks good man [thumbup] id say its a guitar worthy of restoring

Beastie [biggrin]

oh and they're REALLY RARE so I would take care of it [thumbup]

ahh ok. Youve got the Epiphone SC-550.

they made the SC-550 between 1976 and 1979. The SC-550 has the characteristic SC body with

scrolled bass bout and German carve. The three-piece bolt-on mahogany neck, has an ebonized

maple fingerboard with white dot inlays. The chrome hardware is the typical Gibson style

configuration with 3-a-side tuners, wraparound bridge, 2 humbuckers, volume/tone controls,

3-way selector. It came in the Mahogany finish, black, natural and a few more if I recall.

looks good man [thumbup] id say its a guitar worthy of restoring

Beastie [biggrin]

oh and they're REALLY RARE so I would take care of it [thumbup]

Thanks for the info so far. Strange though as it does actually have a set neck!! Any idea on value?

Cheers

Nidge

post-29326-096451200 1295110651_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info so far. Strange though as it does actually have a set neck!! Any idea on value?

Cheers

Nidge

whoops sorry that was the info on the SC-350 (my bad) yes the 450 and 550 had set necks.

AND (my bad again) your guitar is actually the 450 (still good) I just noticed the dot inlays [flapper]

Ive seen a couple go for around 400 but since its rare, thats a steal! Im not too sure

about it though. in its condition, I would say 4-500 bucks on it but Im not too

sure about the prices. Ive seen a couplbe on ebay that went for 300! but I would just

keep it. maybe invest on a trip to gibson restoration for the guitar. or a highly trained luthier

or someone that you trust. cause I would just trust somebody with "5 years of professional service"

to handle MY baby. anyways, thats just my opinion on it. just take care of it, and id love to hear it play! [thumbup]

Thanks for your replies.

It does seem like a nice guitar but it does require a little light restoration work and with that in mind I think I will offer between 150 and 200 GBP and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Nidge

Thanks for your replies.

It does seem like a nice guitar but it does require a little light restoration work and with that in mind I think I will offer between 150 and 200 GBP and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Nidge

As I assume you're in the UK Nidge I would say that they are not too rare over here. I've seen five for sale in the last year or so for around £200 - £275.

• 6 years later...

Archived