Gibson Brands Forums

Does Epiphone manufacture it's own strings for their guitars ?

crust

I had the high "E" string break 2 times (in a relatively short amount of playing time). I polished the saddle area and changed the string to an "Ernie Ball". It hasn't broken yet (about an hour playing time). I was wondering who Epiphone used as their string supplier. Another post mentioned that D'Addario acknowledged that they have had a problem with strings breaking. Does Epiphone use D'Addario strings on their guitars ?

I have serious doubts that anyone can answer that question with authority. First off, Epiphone guitars are manufactured in different factories and/or in different countries. And, like many manufacturers, Epiphone factories probably source strings from more than one supplier.

You mentioned D'Addario, and there has been a problem with counterfeits, which D'Addario is addressing currently. They are said to be inferior product.

If you're experiencing breakage with strings from multiple brands, I tend to think the "problem" is not with the strings themselves, but something else.

I asked this same question back in 2009. One answer was that they were Gibson strings that weren't shrink wrapped. I don't know if that was a definitive answer but they are marked "Made In USA" on the packs. On the basis that they were around £1.30 UK($2.00)a pack cheaper than Ernie Ball strings I bought a couple of dozen sets and I've been using them ever since. I've used them on my Riviera, Wilshire, Telecasters and Strat and they've been fine, no problem.

Link to my original thread http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/49278-anyone-bought-epiphone-guitar-strings/

• 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

String breakage can be caused by a number of things:

1. Age... old dead strings will break.  Replace them often!  If you can't remember how old they are, then they are too old.

(also, old dead strings don't stay in tune well. This is one way you know it's time to replace them.

2. Sharp edges where they touch the guitar.  New guitars sometimes have sharp edges that will break strings.

With use, these will round themselves off. Or the owner can use a needle file to do it.  You can feel it with your

finger, and give it a few strokes.  Strings may stop breaking at that point.

3. Binding in nut slots... once again, new guitars may have some edges or burrs in these crucial areas.

Nut work is expert work, but if you are breaking strings at the nut, or if you hear the PING sound when you tune a string

you can guess that the string is binding there.  A few strokes with a needle file, or a fisherman's hook sharpening stone

can open it up very slightly. I usually lube my nut slots with a home made mixture of vaseline and powdered graphite. A tiny drop on a toothpick is enough for a nut slot, or a bridge saddle slot, or under the string tree on a Fender.

Good luck, and good playing.

Archived