Gibson Brands Forums

Good ol Fret Doctor!!!

ShredAstaire

Fret Doctor is expensive. It does the same thing as lemon oil and all the other stuff. Gibson's fretboard conditioner is very similar to the lemon oil that you can get at Walmart for 8 bucks for a lifetime supply. They all do the same thing. They replace the moisture in the board so it remains stable.

I've used all kinds of stuff - teak oil, lindseed oil, lemon oil, fast fret, Dunlop whatever it was. And its all pretty much the same except for how it smells and how gummy or tacky it stays for how long.

Ten or fifteen dollars for about two ounces of oil is a little pricey for me. Maybe it has gold flakes or something in it. [biggrin]

I would like to see comparisons with a timeline and see how it holds over 4 to 6 months.

My guitars always look great right after the lemon oil is applied but month after month the fretboards starts going back to looking dry and after 6 months or so it is time to reapply.

Is this Fret Doctor product more permanent?

p.s. the fretboard I dyed is holding really well.

I've always heard that Lemon Oil has a drying agent in it and MOST people have the same complaint. From everything I have read, most people who use Fret Doctor apply it once/year and it holds up. I just used it for the first time this month so I will try to remember to take some pics in July to see how it holds up...

Fret Doctor is expensive. It does the same thing as lemon oil and all the other stuff. ...

It might do the same thing, but is much better for the wood. Lemon oil is a solvent and using too much of it will loosen the glues under the inlays. A lot of the other products like linseed oil and the like soak into the wood, get gummy and can eventually darken the wood.

But, lemon oil used sparingly is fine, and since it's a solvent, cleans too.

Fret Doctor is the real deal - also sold as Bore Doctor, it's used by countless woodwind musicians to keep their wooden instruments in top form.

That's true. In fact I am almost out of the polish. It seems to last though

(unless you want it super shiny all the time and I don't really care).

tbh i find that the cleaner does the job on it's own, it's great for removing forearm grime/sweat off the body

tbh i find that the cleaner does the job on it's own, it's great for removing forearm grime/sweat off the body

Couldn't agree more. The pre/post Virtuoso cleaner difference in the look of my Faded Standard LP was not to be believed.

Archived