Gibson Brands Forums

I almost bought a guitar today

Gilliangirl

Drathbun and I were at L&McQ and they had a good selection of Gibsons on the wall. They had this amazing Madagascar AJ, one of only 20 made, gorgeous! But the one that caught my eye and ear was a custom J45 natural, rosewood B&S, abalone rosette, and herringbone purfling. Oooooh it was so nice. [crying]

I came so close. I even asked about financing. It was only $2650.00. I thhought that was pretty darn reasonable for a rosewood custom J45. If I hadn't just bought a truck and a horse, I'd have brought that guitar home. Sooooo close. [drool]

Drathbun and I were at L&McQ and they had a good selection of Gibsons on the wall. They had this amazing Madagascar AJ, one of only 20 made, gorgeous! But the one that caught my eye and ear was a custom J45 natural, rosewood B&S, abalone rosette, and herringbone purfling. Oooooh it was so nice. [crying]

I came so close. I even asked about financing. It was only $2650.00. I thhought that was pretty darn reasonable for a rosewood custom J45. If I hadn't just bought a truck and a horse, I'd have brought that guitar home. Sooooo close. [drool]

It's safe to confess-you're among friends.:unsure:

But I did the same thing recently! Got my hands on a rosewood CJ-165...pretended to act casual while asking about financing.

One day, one day...

It's safe to confess-you're among friends.:unsure:

But I did the same thing recently! Got my hands on a rosewood CJ-165...pretended to act casual while asking about financing.

One day, one day...

Anne, that's another one I'd love to have, rosewood CJ-165. Yes, one day....

GG, OUR LOCAL Gibson store has a new one for $2500 and another store in the area has a used one for$2250....I believe they have three piece backs and the box is not as deep as a "normal" AJ....I must admit, the were easy to play, sounded good and looked beautiful.......I can see why you were tempted!!

Sounds like that old CSNY song, Karen ("Almost Cut my Hair")! :rolleyes:

Fred

Was at long and mc~ today and played a southern jumbo. I have my j45 which dont get me wrong I love.... but I was close at $1900 sale price on buying it. Lucky my gf has more restraint then me haha. What makes it worse is my friend works there and said I can probably do better on the price for u, while I was playing it .. anyways walked out with the strings my intended purchase, my bank account has my gf to thank.

Actually I bought the truck after the horse, so I could haul horse feed! [biggrin] Yeah, weird, I know

Kind of like putting the cart in front of the horse! Or maybe the 'other way around'....or something like that,...anyway [unsure][biggrin]

What kind of truck did you buy, anyway?

Yeah, i think i would react in a smilar manner if i played a rosewood J-45. Havent been able to get my hands on one but heard a few being played a youtube and they sound amazing ! Youre a strong woman Karen ... :-)

I'd love to take credit for that but the truth is I'm just poor! [biggrin]

Was at long and mc~ today and played a southern jumbo. I have my j45 which dont get me wrong I love.... but I was close at $1900 sale price on buying it. Lucky my gf has more restraint then me haha. What makes it worse is my friend works there and said I can probably do better on the price for u, while I was playing it .. anyways walked out with the strings my intended purchase, my bank account has my gf to thank.

That was probably a good move Beard cuz the J45 and Southern jumbo are basically the same guitar, except for the decoration. You might have regretted it once you got it home? And yesterday I MEANT to buy strings and forgot!

Kind of like putting the cart in front of the horse! Or maybe the 'other way around'....or something like that,...anyway [unsure][biggrin]

What kind of truck did you buy, anyway?

It's just a little guy, a Mazda B4000, but I love it. It's got 4WD and a peppy V6, 4 L. I just hit the 4000 kilometre mark yesterday and the thing is just running like a top. I've also towed three people out of snow-filled ditches so far this winter. I love my truck.

GG girl and that J45

PLEASE--the gun rack & shotgun for your new truck should come before anything further.-this will ward off

all those guitar picken, love em and leave em guys who want to buy you that J45. Good things will happen to good persons like you - just think back

about the Lone Ranger & Tonto.

Regards, Moose

But J, it was rosewood! [drool]

Seriously, I love this quote and I'm going to print it out and save it. It's a great reality check.

Always worth hearing the vintage SJ hog/rw comparison again, and I don't think jt will be posting it. Do they really sound so different that you would want to go into hock to have both?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb-mGfC-vfI&feature=player_embedded#!

Mojo, you're right. Good clip by JT. The mahogany sounds a little snappier to me, but not much. This particular one I played yesterday was quite throaty. But you know, everything sounds so good in those acoustic rooms in the store too, so who knows? I may have got it home and decided the difference was negligible.

Hey Karen,

Just a quick question about that guitar. It sounds cool but why would a "natural" J-45 not be a J-50? I always thought that's what a J-50 was...

Thanks to you and anyone who might clear this point up for me.

Cool Gibsons are hard to forget aren't they? When I was in college one of my first really good acoustics was a a mid 1960s J-50. Then I traded it away, even up for a 1937 Martin 00-28 Herringbone at a studio in Iowa City that desperately needed guitar teachers and agreed to make me the trade if I went to work for them.

Folk music was in flower in those days and everybody in a college town wanted to learn to play acoustic guitar. I just wanted a Martin. At one time I had about thirty five students a week, while I was getting my degree in Political Science and playing folk music in college bars. (Those were the days....) Even though I always loved that little 1937 Rosewood Martin,(and it really was a great guitar for the coffee houses and folk music gigs I was playing at the time), I never forgot the J-50. It's one of the major reasons that I have a number of great Gibson acoustics today. But I just always thought a J-45 with a natural top was a J-50.

Thank you,

Jack6849

Archived