Gibson Brands Forums

I hate flying

Silenced Fred

I worked for an airline for 18 years. I've only flown twice since leaving and honestly don't care if I never fly again.

But as far as being "selected" for extra screening, it's not always just TSA picking someone at random. There is a whole system of weights and measurements that determine who gets the dreaded SSSS on their boarding card. Plus, if you set the metal detector off, that's pretty much an automatic. They used to send you back to empty all the keys and change you forgot was in you pocket and try again. Not any more.

Didn't even get a chance to go through the metal detectors...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try it with a artificial leg sometime I get selected every time no matter what. The extra fun part is explaining why I can't remove my leg and then walk through the metal detector a actual conversation that takes place way to often.

As for the pat downs happening in a private area? well I guess the little plexiglass dividers are now considered private by the TSA since that's where they take me to get molested I mean searched every time. [glare]

Try it with a artificial leg sometime I get selected every time no matter what. The extra fun part is explaining why I can't remove my leg and then walk through the metal detector a actual conversation that takes place way to often.

As for the pat downs happening in a private area? well I guess the little plexiglass dividers are now considered private by the TSA since that's where they take me to get molested I mean searched every time. [glare]

That sucks man, very sorry to hear that. Its just ridiculous and it hasn't done ****!

And as much as i criticize the TSA people, I do recognize that they are probably caught in the middle of a pretty big dilemma. On one hand, they can't really do their job properly because fear of being called racist and possibly being fired, but on the other hand they have to "do their job" and search random people. My guess is that they choose normal-looking middle class white Americans because we have the least political power, and are the least likely to create a huge fuss about it.

The dirty little secret is that if they de-select people because of their apparent race, that is, by definition racism.

I laughed my back side off when this whole selection for enhanced search for air travelers began back in 2001. It seems frequent fliers, traveling on a one way ticket, purchased by someone else, who travel without luggage were being flagged. Guess what? This dragnet ensnared all TV reporters. [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] They have a propensity for winging off to God knows where at a moment's notice ticketed by their network on a one-way because they do not know when they will return with their wardrobe sent ahead via FedEx.

Flying is flying. I deal with it. I find the worst part not to be the TSA or the airlines, but usually the fellow passengers. My favorite is when they start boarding the plane and people line up way ahead of when they are supposed to board and block everyone else from getting on board at their time. You can never tell if those dummies are in line or just hanging out waiting. It's so aggravating. I mean, will they really get there any sooner if they board sooner? :angry:

The dirty little secret is that if they de-select people because of their apparent race, that is, by definition racism.

I laughed my back side off when this whole selection for enhanced search for air travelers began back in 2001. It seems frequent fliers, traveling on a one way ticket, purchased by someone else, who travel without luggage were being flagged. Guess what? This dragnet ensnared all TV reporters. [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] They have a propensity for winging off to God knows where at a moment's notice ticketed by their network on a one-way because they do not know when they will return with their wardrobe sent ahead via FedEx.

The Selectee program actually began back in the late 90s after the Gore Commision. Cash and a one-way ticket were sure to get you "Selected".

Does anyone remember the 3 question that were required by the FAA? "Did you pack your own bags?" "Have you left your bags unattended?" and "Have you accepted and items from an unknown person to bring on the aircraft?" It used to crack me up when people would get offended and say things like "If I was a terrorist, do you think I would tell you the truth?" Well, if you actually listen to the questions, they weren't designed to find out if you were a terrorist. They were designed to raise awareness and determine whether or not someone could have placed something in your bags without you knowing.

The Selectee program actually began back in the late 90s after the Gore Commision. Cash and a one-way ticket were sure to get you "Selected".

Does anyone remember the 3 question that were required by the FAA? "Did you pack your own bags?" "Have you left your bags unattended?" and "Have you accepted and items from an unknown person to bring on the aircraft?" It used to crack me up when people would get offended and say things like "If I was a terrorist, do you think I would tell you the truth?" Well, if you actually listen to the questions, they weren't designed to find out if you were a terrorist. They were designed to raise awareness and determine whether or not someone could have placed something in your bags without you knowing.

Yeah... didn't that come about after the Pan Am flight 103 exploded over Lockerbie, Scotland? It was determined a terrorist sent his pregnant wife/girlfriend back home to the U.S. with a bomb in her luggage.

Yeah... didn't that come about after the Pan Am flight 103 exploded over Lockerbie, Scotland? It was determined a terrorist sent his pregnant wife/girlfriend back home to the U.S. with a bomb in her luggage.

I think the Lockerbie incident was an explosive packed radio. There was an incident in Ireland or Scotland like you mention, but I think it was thwarted. I had heard they were making a movie about it but that was over 10 years ago.

My hair is cut short, I'm clean shaven (for once) and I look almost presentable. They would have no idea :)

oh you can tell if you've been in law enforcement any time at all. Hair length has little to do with it nowadays. It must be your shifty eyes...;)

I think the Lockerbie incident was an explosive packed radio. There was an incident in Ireland or Scotland like you mention, but I think it was thwarted. I had heard they were making a movie about it but that was over 10 years ago.

They made it. It was a made for TV movie... about 10 or 20 years ago. I remember watching it.

I was reading some of the forensic evidence. It was a gruesome way to die. Apparently when the hull was breached the nose, containing the cockpit and some of first class fell away. The immediate decompression and lack of oxygen rendered the passengers unconscious. It is believed that during the 2 minute dead fall into more oxygen rich atmosphere, some people may have regained consciousness. One witness to the aftermath indicated one victim was found clutching a hand full of grass.

Archived