Gibson Brands Forums

Injuries

cavsrock08

I pulled something in my right arm around 9 months ago carrying luggage through an airport. It's still not right. I can't play sat down for more than 10 or 15 mins because of muscle pain in my upper arm but I can play for hours stood up. Still think it's affecting my picking though.

I broke my wrist playing football in high school. Had it in a cast for a couple of months. When it healed, the doc took off the cast and said "take it easy and don't lift weights for a couple of weeks"....so the next day(in a not-so-smart move) I was lifting weights, and refractured the bone!! This time I opted for the blue cast instead of the standard white one [biggrin] The worst part was a week later I jammed 2 fingers on my good hand, so it was taped up too!!

We've got this game in Chicago called 16-inch softball--big ball, no gloves--so playing first base it was probably only a matter of time until something happened. Sure enough, about 10 years ago it was a fracture at the first knuckle of my left index finger. No guitar for about six weeks, and for about six months after that I still had a tough time with some things like double stops with that finger. After that I decided I'd rather play guitar than 16-inch softball and hung up my cleats. The knuckle still looks a little funky, but at least it doesn't bother me these days.

Yesterday I jammed my left middle finger in a basketball game and now I have to keep it taped to my left ring finger. That clearly means no guitar for a few days. [thumbdn]

That got me thinking, have you ever had any injuries that kept you from playing and for how long?

What? [huh] You've never played slide?

I play music for a living - therefore I do not play sports.

I can't risk it.

My mantra is: "real musicians don't do sports" ;)

Notes

I guess the guys from reo speedwagon weren't "real" musicians, since they were Lakers fanatics in the 70's and 80's. They used to play bkb often while on tour. Yep, gary richrath, the lead guitarist, bruce hall the bass player, and kc the acoustic/rhythm player.

I guess the guys from reo speedwagon weren't "real" musicians, since they were Lakers fanatics in the 70's and 80's. They used to play bkb often while on tour. Yep, gary richrath, the lead guitarist, bruce hall the bass player, and kc the acoustic/rhythm player.

I guess you didn't notice the winky-smiley face ;)

Perhaps real musicians, but not being respectful to their audiences.

What if a basketball jammed a finger the night before a concert so badly that they couldn't play?

I have a relative who was playing softball on a company team. The softball took a weird hop and jammed and broke the middle finger of his right hand. He no longer has the use of that finger, it just hangs limp, and they doctors say eventually it will have to be amputated giving him what the doctors call a "Mickey Mouse Hand".

Perhaps I should rephrase my mantra, "Responsible musicians don't play sports."

Note: no winky-smile face (I'm serious)

What if I injured my hand and missed a weekend or more of work? First of all I'd be out the money. Second - the club owners would have to scramble for another band, and if they couldn't find one or a good enough one at the last minute, lose money and customers. Third - if that happened we would never work there again. Fourth - word travels and there would be a lot of other places that wouldn't hire us.

When I was on the road, no professional musician I knew ever played sports. I'm getting old, and that was before ESPN and the escalation of sports from a diversion to a religion.

Notes

I've even taken to wearing leather gloves for working on the land and chopping wood, and I don't play for a living. It'd be a shame not being able to play...... after 40 years playing guitar it's only just starting to come together so I don't want to spoil it now.

Perhaps real musicians, but not being respectful to their audiences.

What if a basketball jammed a finger the night before a concert so badly that they couldn't play?

Notes

Then I guess its a good thingI have no one to play for. If that were the case, then you're right.

I've screwed myself up a few times over the years. The first broken arm and only broken leg weren't too bad. I was young (18 months and about 5, respectively) when they happened. So aside from not getting to run around a lot and play, it never interfered with music.

The worst thing for my music happened in middle school (7th grade specifically). This was a couple of years before I started playing guitar, but I was just starting really move forward with piano and drums. I was cruising down a hill on my bike on the way home from my best friend's place. Decided to cut up on to the sidewalk, misjudged it, hit the curb and went right over my handlebars. Stupid me though that protecting my face and head by throwing my hands out in front of me was a good idea. I just couldn't trust the helmet to do it's job. One sickening crack and an ER trip later and I had a nice cast on my left (weak) arm.

This was mostly a blessing as I could still write and get school stuff done easily, but as a drummer I had been working really hard at getting the strength and speed in my left arm up to my right. This set me back by about a year all told, as I had to wait for it to heal before working to get the left arm back to where it was. It also meant all I could do on the piano were single note bass lines. Not fun.

Worst guitar-impeding injury I had was slamming my index finger on my fretting hand in a car door the day before my first every public performance on guitar. Slammed it bad enough the nail eventually fell off, and I couldn't bed the finger or fret with it all that well. Having about 12, hours with a painful hand, to relearn how to play an instrument you barely know is not fun, but certainly character building.

It was duly noticed.

Perhaps real musicians, but not being respectful to their audiences. What if a basketball jammed a finger the night before a concert so badly that they couldn't play?

I don't know, you'd have to ask them. [smile] (not joking but don't want to sound "mean") [smile]

I have a relative who was playing softball on a company team. The softball took a weird hop and jammed and broke the middle finger of his right hand. He no longer has the use of that finger, it just hangs limp, and they doctors say eventually it will have to be amputated giving him what the doctors call a "Mickey Mouse Hand".

Sports are not the only thing that can injure. I know "responsible" musicians who play sports, responsibly, and stay off injuries. On the other hand, I know folks who don't play sports and have injured themselves with mundane things like cooking (knives, fire...). I'm just saying if it works for you fine, but calling every one irresponsible musicians because they play sports is stretching it.

Wayman Tisdale, RIP, was a basketball player who was also a brlliant bass guitarist, and has released several albums, his recent album is titled Way Up!.

Also, Bernie Williams was a Major League baseball player (last played in '06) for the New York Yankees. He also plays the guitar and composes his own songs, and has expressed desire to return to MLB. His debut album is titled The Journey Within.

Perhaps I should rephrase my mantra, "Responsible musicians don't play sports."

That's cool.

Note: no winky-smile face (I'm serious)

I think I've got the overall concept. [biggrin]

What if I injured my hand and missed a weekend or more of work? First of all I'd be out the money. Second - the club owners would have to scramble for another band, and if they couldn't find one or a good enough one at the last minute, lose money and customers. Third - if that happened we would never work there again. Fourth - word travels and there would be a lot of other places that wouldn't hire us.

When I was on the road, no professional musician I knew ever played sports. I'm getting old, and that was before ESPN and the escalation of sports from a diversion to a religion.

Notes

Then don't play sports. I make money playing guitar and know others that make a 100% living off it and they don't stop shooting baskets, playing a little touch football, or playing ball with their kids, in the fear theyI might "lose it all". I'm just saying, my friends "indulge", if you will, in a little responsible sport activity, but don't completely shut themselves off from it. They haven't had "tragedies" either. On the other hand if you get one of them cooking... I fear for his life and mine... [wink] <-- joking [biggrin] Anyway.... [smile]

Archived