Gibson Brands Forums

Which is the better deal ?!

hiddentalent

So, I have $500 saved up and figured I wanted to start bass..again! I have the choice to buy two used bass guitars. One, is a red, BC rich NT Beast 4 string, it's $400. The other is an Epiphone Thunderbird 4 string, and it comes with a marshall 30wat amp, carrying case, cord for $400. The BC only comes w/ the bass and carrying case for the same price. Retail price of the thunderbird - $299.99. Retail of the BC - $600+. The thunderbird is unique due to the fact it's korean made and not made in china. Thunders aren't produced in korea anymore. Only thing I wonder is the thunderbird is a screw-on neck. The BC rich is a neck-through. I'm a beginner. Either way i'd have a hundred bucks left over, and I could buy a cheap amp for the bc rich, or i could just buy the thunder.

Lemme know ?!

So, I have $500 saved up and figured I wanted to start bass..again! I have the choice to buy two used bass guitars. One, is a red, BC rich NT Beast 4 string, it's $400. The other is an Epiphone Thunderbird 4 string, and it comes with a marshall 30wat amp, carrying case, cord for $400. The BC only comes w/ the bass and carrying case for the same price. Retail price of the thunderbird - $299.99. Retail of the BC - $600+. The thunderbird is unique due to the fact it's korean made and not made in china. Thunders aren't produced in korea anymore. Only thing I wonder is the thunderbird is a screw-on neck. The BC rich is a neck-through. I'm a beginner. Either way i'd have a hundred bucks left over, and I could buy a cheap amp for the bc rich, or i could just buy the thunder.

Don't even think about it. Get the BC Rich. T-birds are a dime a dozen, Neck-thru BC Riches can be hard to come by, not to mention that the BC will blow the T-bird out of the water in terms of playability and sound

Both great basses... Personally, I'd go for the T-Bird. I am biased, Seeing as I own one. The set neck on the BC is a definite plus... Ultimately, it would come down to which one plays right in YOUR hands... Go out, try them both! Buy the one YOU like the best.

Just to give you something to think about, the Beast is H-U-G-E. I have both a Beast a a T-Bird, and the Thunderbird is way more comfortable to play. Keep in mind I'm a huge BCR fan so I'm not someone who would bad mouth them. If you want a good BCR, keep a look out for one from the mid 80's, depending on the shape you like they can be pick up for less than you have.

Just my 2 cents

Don't even think about it. Get the BC Rich. T-birds are a dime a dozen, Neck-thru BC Riches can be hard to come by, not to mention that the BC will blow the T-bird out of the water in terms of playability and sound

+1

I have to agree, and I'm not a huge BC Rich fan. But if the Beast is anything like the Widow, then yeah, it will blow the T-Bird out of the water. But understand that the two basses are made for different music, but at the same time are both one-trick ponies. The Beast is a metal machine and the T-Bird is pretty much straight up rock & roll.

Aesthetically, I like the T-Birds better, but the Beast is a better made bass.

I'm very happy with my 'Bird. I don't play metal, and I do play rock and roll, so its one trick suits what I do. Most bass guitars out there are probably a bit better made than the 'Bird I got my hands on, but it's a blank canvass as far as I'm concerned, and it may become a Fenderbird one of these days.

Archived