Gibson Brands Forums

Fender

swleary

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was just cruising around the internet and decided to look at the Fender forums. Interesting topic....how to get a fatter and deeper sound out of a strat....my first thought..should have Bought a GIBSON...just sayin

Back in the 60's I had a Fender Jaguar. The neck pickup went out. I took it to a guy I knew who rebuilt the single coil pickup.

It was so much more sensitive that it totally changed the sound of the whole guitar. After the pickup was repaired, the guitar sounded like a Mosrite, (like the Ventures were playing at the time).

I was playin' rhythm at the time, and it added to our sound.

As we all well know...the Strat and other Fenders are different animals to Gibsons

A Strat can sound huge in the right hands, and feel good neck-wise and weight-wise

Having 'some' of each in one's collection is the best philosophy :blink:

V

:-({|=

RE: Fender...

Naaaah. Don't have one. Never did. I've tried out plenty in guitar stores since '63, but...

It's the necks. Period. They absolutely don't work with how I play. But then, neither do some other brands, especially if they have a more-rounded-than-Gibson fretboard radius. And I prefer a relatively wide nut and thin (fretboard to back) neck.

OTOH, Roy Buchanan had a very different perspective and heaven knows he was a lot more talented picker than I might ever imagine myself to be.

I think a lot has to do with how you start playing and what you start and continue playing on as your hands begin to come to an "automatic thing" with what you do.

Note I didn't mention tone. I'm a playability freak. Especially on an electric, I care not much at all about copying somebody else's "tone." So... Given my talent is sufficiently limited that I have a strong physical preference for a certain sort of neck for playability, I just can't go "Fender."

m

Its the player. you tell me Stevie Ray Vaughan sounds thin and not full and I'll punch you out.

Jazzmasters are awesome guitars and will probably be my next guitar purchase sometime in 2011.

Then a Gretsch, also owned by Fender.

If you don't like em, cool. More for me [thumbup]

I've got a Strat with the S1 switching and extra capacitors, which give a couple fatter sounding switch options.

IMO more versatile sound/tone wise than the original switching and capacitor setup, without sticking a humbucker on it.

thats what I LOVE about my American Deluxe Strat......the S-1 Phase reverse switching gives it 3(out of 10 total) toggle choices that sound very thick and warm.

with the switch depressed position T-5 sounds like my SG or Flying V, while T-4 sounds VERY Les Paulish.

plus, it's a looker too.....

GarysCam149.jpg

I play both Gibson and Fender (country AND western).

From age 16-28 I played nothing but my V. One guitar period. I then got a strat in a band I was in in the late 80's. It became my main guitar. Now I play both. I love them both. The S-1 switching, as Bigkahune said, makes a huge tonal difference. In my band now I have "Strat songs" and "gibson songs". Rock n roll by Zep - definite Gibson song. Heaven by Los Lonely Boys - definite Strat song.

I play both Gibson and Fender (country AND western).

i was gonna do a Blues Brothers reference too: "We got BOTH kinds!"

[biggrin]

i am VERY fortunate to have both kinds as well, and i like them because they sound and feel so different...

my fenders:

fender.jpg

my gibsons:

lp3-2.jpg

Its the player. you tell me Stevie Ray Vaughan sounds thin and not full and I'll punch you out.

Jazzmasters are awesome guitars and will probably be my next guitar purchase sometime in 2011.

Then a Gretsch, also owned by Fender.

If you don't like em, cool. More for me [thumbup]

True, but SRV also played on 0.13 gauge strings...

.13-.56 or .58, and tuned down a half-step

i was gonna do a Blues Brothers reference too: "We got BOTH kinds!"

[biggrin]

i am VERY fortunate to have both kinds as well, and i like them because they sound and feel so different...

my fenders:

fender.jpg

my gibsons:

lp3-2.jpg

Love em! Gorgeous!

I have both brands. Gibson necks = way better than Fender for me. However, there is something about a Tele that is just really cool. Gotta be honest - current collection includes a Les Paul, a strat, and a tele (among others), and I would not part with any of them. However, for a non-thin sound, I am grabbing the Les Paul.

Also I finally played one of those Squier Vintage Vibe Teles (double binding). Real pretty to look at but not so great to play. I'd get one to toy around with if it was used for $200 but $350? No thanks. I like the new ones with the H-H config but I want a tele with tele pups first.

Archived