Gibson Brands Forums

Fender

swleary

I agree with those who have stated that you should have both in your repertoire, and both are different animals.

Like many others here, Fender necks are hit and miss with me. Everything from strings spacing to width, thickness, etc, bothered me. Muscle memory is a strong tool and I have a hard time shaking it when switching back and forth between my strat and LP.

It's been a funny observation for me....getting a Fender was the best thing I could have done for my perception and fondness of my LP. No joke. I like the Fender, but I love the LP; and it was only after spending time with the strat that I finally started to pick up on the little nuances that make an LP an LP, and a Fender a Fender.

I, for the life of me, cannot get into Tele's though. I don't like the way they look AT ALL. I know they're capable of some great "Tele tones", but I just can't disassociate them from twangy country/western.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have both brands. Gibson necks = way better than Fender for me. However, there is something about a Tele that is just really cool. Gotta be honest - current collection includes a Les Paul, a strat, and a tele (among others), and I would not part with any of them. However, for a non-thin sound, I am grabbing the Les Paul.

I too am blessed with both brands in my collection..only a Tele sounds like a Tele.........I'm now addicted to Bigsbys...need a Tele with a Bigsby...Strats are unique as well, such a perfect design, and pretty........

As stated previously, they are quite different sounding guitars. I have two Fender's and two Gibson's. I like and play them all for different reasons. Back in 1967 I special ordered a Telecaster which i still own today. A lot has been said regarding the Fender necks. My 67 Tele is the smoothest, fastest guitar I have ever played. My Standard LP is my favorite guitar. I prefer playing my LP because it has the sound I want and it is also a great playing guitar. Each brand has it's faithful followers. I thinks both companies have and still produce quality guitars. I also own a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a Twin Reverb amp, which I believe are two great sounding amps. Fender makes some of the best tube amps in the business.

Kenny V

I love my Tele.

Honestly, I dig thin tone.. It seems to have a negative connotation but I like it. When I listen to music, most of the guitar parts that I think sound really cool are the ones that sound slightly too thin or slightly too bright or slightly too weak. Those are the parts that seem to have the most character to me.

My Tele is capable of sounding thick and deep. It comes easier on my SG though.

I love my Gibsons as much as the next guy, but there is something about the way a

Fender sits in a track that has me frequently reaching for them while recording.

Sometimes the guitar that sounds fattest on its own is not the best for a track

with other instruments on it.

I've never owned a Fender but have played many hours on a buddy's Strat and Tele. Both American Deluxe's. I introduced him to Gibson and now he has a great Studio which has become his number one.

I really like the Strat's silky Maple neck and tone. Except when the 60 cycle hum kicks in.

Never warmed up to the Tele though. With a proper setup I could change my mind.

A Strat will definitely be added to the family at some point. I told myself no more guitars this year. Well maybe just an Acoustic/electric.

Dave

Honestly, (and this may seem trivial)

Fender makes good guitars, if they didn't they wouldn't still be around.

My issue is scale length, 25.5 Vs. the standard Gibson 24.75.

I like a shorter scale neck, and as far as I know(correct me if I am wrong) I have never seen a 24.75 scale fender.

That and the whole bolt on Vs. set neck.

I just think that Gibson's are better all the way around, at least for me.

As we all well know...the Strat and other Fenders are different animals to Gibsons

A Strat can sound huge in the right hands, and feel good neck-wise and weight-wise

Having 'some' of each in one's collection is the best philosophy :blink:

V

:-({|=

I agree. Choosing to play a guitar is not just about the tone of the guitar but the feel and how it plays, how it response to your playing. I don't jump on the bandwagaon on "this guitar is better than that" mentality and I think its a pointless debate if any. [bored]

I agree with those who have stated that you should have both in your repertoire, and both are different animals.

Like many others here, Fender necks are hit and miss with me. Everything from strings spacing to width, thickness, etc, bothered me. Muscle memory is a strong tool and I have a hard time shaking it when switching back and forth between my strat and LP.

It's been a funny observation for me....getting a Fender was the best thing I could have done for my perception and fondness of my LP. No joke. I like the Fender, but I love the LP; and it was only after spending time with the strat that I finally started to pick up on the little nuances that make an LP an LP, and a Fender a Fender.

I, for the life of me, cannot get into Tele's though. I don't like the way they look AT ALL. I know they're capable of some great "Tele tones", but I just can't disassociate them from twangy country/western.

Over time as your guitar playing evolves, as everyone does, you will soon realize the more important part of the guitar is not always on how it looks, but how it sounds and plays. :rolleyes:

I was in a band with a guy who did great work with a jazzmaster, flatpick and two fingerpicks. The sound he did - using his pinkie on the master volume - was as close to pedal steel as you can get without a pedal steel.

But... I tried his guitar, never could get into the neck.

That's my objection to Fenders - I never considered them remotely playable for me.

Again, that's the muscle memory thing.

As for tone... Roy Buchanan could do about anything with his Tele and make it sound good, from "Misty" to "Hey Joe."

I think tone is what the picker thinks. Buchanan thought Tele variations. I think two HB variations or a certain type of sound from an A-E or classical. Buchanan certainly was a better picker than I am... but both of us do what we do because of longtime work with certain types of guitar and how our hands and heads work.

It's the same with everyone, IMHO.

m

Honestly, (and this may seem trivial)./.. I have never seen a 24.75 scale fender.

The Fender Strat-o-Sonic was 24.75

I always tune Fenders down 1/2 step. To me that helps the scale length/thinner tone

thing. Of course if I want twang I tune it back up to standard pitch. [biggrin]

The Fender Strat-o-Sonic was 24.75

I always tune Fenders down 1/2 step. To me that helps the scale length/thinner tone

thing. Of course if I want twang I tune it back up to standard pitch. [biggrin]

Jaguar I want to say is like 24" or something like that

It feels different. For some reason, to me, I feel more comfortable playing rhythm with a Gibson and humbuckers, and leads using single coil or mini humbuckers. Its probably just me, but I feel very strongly that way

Nathan...

I wonder how many country and pop fans realize Willie Nelson has been playing both lead and rhythm with a nylon string guitar or if they just think it's "a guitar."

Honestly, I think "we" think about this stuff a lot more than does an audience. Getting one's own sound isn't a specific instrument or even setting to me, but what I play for music...

OTOH... when I was younger I didn't see it that way either.

m

Nathan...

I wonder how many country and pop fans realize Willie Nelson has been playing both lead and rhythm with a nylon string guitar or if they just think it's "a guitar."

Honestly, I think "we" think about this stuff a lot more than does an audience. Getting one's own sound isn't a specific instrument or even setting to me, but what I play for music...

OTOH... when I was younger I didn't see it that way either.

m

You need to write a book Milod...."Wise Sayings of the Musician Milod".

Me too. Anyways, yeah I love both Fenders and Gibsons. As Mike Eldred of the Fender Custom Shop would say, " any guitarist needs many tools in his toolbox ". I can easily agree with that. I just need the versitility of having multi brands. Same goes for amps. Cause I like to play everything from soft jazz to thrash metal. I need the Strat for blues and funk, tele for country and rock, the LP for blues and HARD rock, among others. Now, if I was strictly a headbanger then I would probably go with an ESP, Jackson, Dean, or BC Rich with EMG pups into a modded JCM 800 or a Mesa ( either a Mark V or a Recto ). If I was a shredster I would go for an Ibanez, Charvel, or EBMM with wood mounted Seymours or DiMarzios into an old JMP, a JCM 800, a Mesa ( Stilleto comes to mind ), or a Peavey 5150/6505. Straight Texas blues needs a strat, an overdrive box, and a nice Vibrolux. You get the point. I need a lot. Im sure the gear gods gave me OGS-- overactive GAS syndrome. The Plexi lives on!!!

Well... Freddie King did Texas blues on Gibsons... as did a lotta other folks.

Seriously, I think the guitar manufacturers and our own internal "GAS" drives a lotta this stuff. I'd be a liar if I said I'm not as afflicted today as I was in my teens and 20s and 30s - I just don't have as much disposable income for it nowadays so I think I spend my "musician" dollars more wisely. I hope so, anyway.

Still, I understand the inclination, but...

You like the feel of a Fender, fine. You have a guitar/pedal/amp setup that makes you happy, I'm super-happy for you and I mean that without a tinge of sarcasm. (Forums sometimes can make words seem to say what they don't.)

But... the guitarist is the measure, to me, not the guitar.

I think we all play a little differently on different guitar/neck shapes, but it's still the picker making the difference. The audience? I think if you play your own way, and play well and entertain a crowd you could use an acoustic through a mike and have everybody saying how innovative you are with a "new" sound we all know ain't new at all. Even tuned open and a bottleneck on occasion... Toss in a B3, bass, maybe rhythm guitar and drums... <grin> Any good player can rock... Any guitar needs the player to take it off the stand and make joyful noises...

m

Archived