Gibson Brands Forums

will 80's guitar solo's ever be bettered?

S t e v e

just in my opinion of course, 80's guitar solo's are the best we will ever get.

it was the 80's metal scene that got me hooked on guitar, my mum used to watch videos and play records by ozzy osbourne and kiss...i was only 7 when she used to watch an ozzy video (don't know what it was called) but i was mesmorised by the man with the guitar making beautiful sounds, also remember a live REO speedwagon video she had...loved it.

thank you the 80's! that guitar playing will forever live in my heart [wub]

this one takes me back, sitting in the front room and mum changing her records

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGpwKQo5_Z0

also this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YwYHrL4Ckc&feature=fvst

just in my opinion of course, 80's guitar solo's are the best we will ever get.

it was the 80's metal scene that got me hooked on guitar, my mum used to watch videos and play records by ozzy osbourne and kiss...i was only 7 when she used to watch an ozzy video (don't know what it was called) but i was mesmorised by the man with the guitar making beautiful sounds, also remember a live REO speedwagon video she had...loved it.

thank you the 80's! that guitar playing will forever live in my heart [wub]

this one takes me back, sitting in the front room and mum changing her records

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGpwKQo5_Z0

also this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YwYHrL4Ckc&feature=fvst

I totally agree with you. Most of the classic 80's rock and metal songs have great solo's. All you have to do is listen to "the best air guitar album in the world ever" and you can clearly see that most are from the 80's and sound amazing.

classic rock kind of died out. But metal did at least start to come back in thr 90's

yea i totally agree with you and dem00n, i guess me being older i'm influenced more by that generation of guitar playing...80's guitar is embedded my heart but there is still plenty of room for all other decades [thumbup]

The 90's went way to far in the other direction, the Lack of Singing and Playing talent was just absurd. IMO, Nirvana killed good guitar music and decent vocals. Fortunately there was Jerry Cantrell doing some soloing, and Blues Traveler had virtuosity on the Harp. The retro-scene was my only salvation in the 90's. I'm SO GLAD that minimalistic lack of talent they called Grunge is behind us.

As probably the oldest "regular" here...

I think it's an error to suggest one era is "better" than another in terms of music.

Each era, whether one is talking about "classical" or "pop," has outstanding and outstandingly creative artists. Some are outstanding because somehow they break the mold of what is being heard, and some are outstanding because of virtuosity and yes, some are outstanding in both.

I really enjoy "swing," but there are some swing arrangements of given songs that frankly I find really weak, but the thing was #1 in the US for weeks in 1939 or whatever. Then a few years later another band thickened the arrangement a bit and although I preferred the original vocal, the arrangement was such that it became my favorite version of the song. But then, I wasn't born until after both were recorded.

Frankly I heard nothing in the '80s in any genre that tripped my trigger, nor the 90s, except for, as has been mentioned, some reeeeeally "retro" stuff. In fact, a return of "cowboy" style music.

Why? Far better musicianship than the old stuff, but with the spirit of the old stuff retained. I'd say we have some similar stuff in the "rock" genre, although I don't know really how anybody can do much to top Chuck Berry at his peak.

Some of the 50s early "rock" guitarists combined pop, jazz and blues very creatively to the point I think they are the ones who won't ever be topped.

Yes, through the years there were some very skilled and talented musicians who stand on the shoulders of the older guys who may have been playing only with 10 percent of their own abilities but did simply what they thought appropriate for a new genre of music. I've heard some of the one-time radio musicians and believe me, they could do darned near anything with a guitar. But the "new" stuff was simplified a lot to fit a new simplified orchestration but with a reeeeeally comparatively heavy beat. On the other hand, a lot of pickers in that era weren't all that hot, either: For example the guitar "solo" in the old Buddy Holly "Peggy Sue."

I'd agree too that any picker can learn from listening to the pioneers of the 20s-50s. After that, IMHO, most "pop" guitar playing has been a matter of reinterpretation. Sometimes that was with more skilled and talented pickers, sometimes not.

That doesn't mean I'm badmouthing players from the 60s through today - just that I haven't heard anything all that much different technically. Heck, even the stomp box generations owe quite a debt to Link Wray who wasn't all that great a picker, but certainly set the stage for a different way to look at "rock." The roots of "metal" in the first decade of "rock?" Yeah, I think so.

Oh - for really famous but incredibly simple rock playing...

m

It depends on what you consider best? i was born in 74, remember the 80's well and yes there were some great solo's but there was also too much in the way of effects and production to a lot of songs. Thats just my opinion. I happen to think that some of the best solo's were from the 50's to 70's. I mean, Johnny b goode may not be the fastest or most technical but its instantly recognisable and always sounds great. Or other songs, think of skinard or zeppelin. Its unfair to say that one decade was best, like i said.. its all about perseption!!! just my opinion!!

Ok first of all, if you're gonna say skynyrd then spell it right [biggrin]

personally, I think that great solos can come out of any era. and by the way...I kinda like grunge.

lol.. Yup my brain was working faster than my fingers. However, the point still stands.

Archived