Gibson Brands Forums

90s Music that didn't suck

surfpup

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Bro. Great as they are Faith No More and the Chili Peppers are from the 80's

The albums that these songs were from came out in the early 90's. The bands got there start in the 80s', as did Nirvana and The Pumpkins, but gained most of the popularity from the 90s.

The albums that these songs were from came out in the early 90's. The bands got there start in the 80s', as did Nirvana and The Pumpkins, but gained most of the popularity from the 90s.

Well ok. I was listening to them and Jane's Addiction and such way before the 90's though so to me I guess they will always be 80's bands.

The Cramp and MotorHead? You guys are defining the 90's far differently than I do.

Uh, dude they had videos on Beavis & Butthead...doesn't get more '90s' than that -- there was hell of a lot more going on than Pearljam, Nirvana, and 5.0 Mustangs.

People are trying to make '90s music' into a genre. I'd agree that today Motorhead's current output is less influential, and that by the 90's they were slightly over the hill but '1916' (and 'Flamejob' by the Cramps) were big. Lots of bands that started before 1990 came into full form during the 90s. If you think my pics don't fit your definition of '90s music' cuz you figure 90s music is a genre of the most popular hits, then I will definitely say 90s music sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm38Ojh61lY

Tool really is one of the best bands to come out of the 90's imho. Maynard is a great singer, and has an incredible stage presence, add to that having one of the best drummers of all time in Danny Carey, and it's no wonder why this band is still recording and performing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77oGNWEgWAc

Now I know White Zombie came out in the 80's, but they really sounded nothing like this before. This album was really my first introduction to metal music, and it blew my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF602iA65HQ

I saw System of a Down at Ozzfest in 1999 in West Palm Beach, FL. They were like the 1st act on the main stage at 10 or 11am when there was no one watching the main stage. By the 2nd song, the grass was packed, and they had a few mosh pits going, right after they ended when Godsmack came on, everyone walked away. This is still my favorite band. Wish they would get back together and tour in the states.

Uh, dude they had videos on Beavis & Butthead...doesn't get more '90s' than that -- there was hell of a lot more going on than Pearljam, Nirvana, and 5.0 Mustangs.

People are trying to make '90s music' into a genre. I'd agree that today Motorhead's current output is less influential, and that by the 90's they were slightly over the hill but '1916' (and 'Flamejob' by the Cramps) were big. Lots of bands that started before 1990 came into full form during the 90s. If you think my pics don't fit your definition of '90s music' cuz you figure 90s music is a genre of the most popular hits, then I will definitely say 90s music sucks.

I'm 41 dude. I remember the 90's well. I also remember the 80's. The 70's are a bit fuzzy these days. There's no way I would ever think of MotorHead and The Cramps as 90's music. Not saying they weren't making good music then but Motorhead already had 10 records (many of their best)behind them by 1990. The Cramps were an original CBGB's punk band. These are never gonna be 90's bands in my book. You're free to write your own book though. [thumbup]

Archived