Gibson Brands Forums

How much do they earn?

LarryUK

I was thinking today. How much do guitarists earn that play for the stars?

Ie, Take That, Michael Buble', Tom Jones etc? Or stand in musicians?

Like playing bass with the Who? Arnel Pineda with Journey?

A whole lot more than most anyone on this board......

they may earn a lot playing for stars,but these gu,ys have dedicated their life to music,so when there are no gigs available,times get tough.most of them can`t do anything else,so its music or tighten the budget.But when they are working they must get pretty nice pay-days

I was wondering because of how much the stars earn. When you think how much they must spend on gear.

Do they pay for their own guitar tech etc?

If they are sponsored, like Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, by big brands, I think their gears are either loaners or given free in return for endorsing the big brand's product(s) and also depending on what is stated in the contract.

Check this out on how much Musicians earn. You may just be surprised. [scared]

http://www.musicianwages.com/musician-profile/average-income-of-a-musician/

i was gonna guess whatever scale is currently.

i am reading Clapton's Biography book right now: he stated that with Mayall, he was paid 30 pounds a week, salary. granted it was '66 or so, but hardly millions.

Generally 2 types of musician....

Salaried employees...teachers, house players, orchestra members, circus players(!)

Self-Employed...freelancers with less security, band leaders, stars....

V

:-({|=

Yup, and the average income for those types of Musicians were stated on the link I posted....you may be surprised as well.

Here is one Musician from Los Angeles on his take on how much he makes.

http://blogs.payscale.com/salarystories/2007/04/salary_of_a_mus.html

I remember Sammy Hagar stating years ago that he was a contract employee with Van Halen.

Who knows - I'm sure all that stuff was very complicated.

Joining a band as a contractor is one thing.

But then writing/publishing music?

One factor to skew everything?

Every deal is different.

Nobody is gonna pay anymore than they have to - unless they want you REALLY bad.

Yup, and the average income for those types of Musicians were stated on the link I posted....you may be surprised as well.

Here is one Musician from Los Angeles on his take on how much he makes.

http://blogs.payscal...y_of_a_mus.html

Lashurst, this is a good representation of how it works ( I'm reffering to the ABOVE post ).........Also, working musicians like this guy who work in the field and are successful do not use drugs, and do not drink beyond a little bit..

There is union scale work as well..........To freelance and have constant work, one has to be really good...........It's a job...and what is most important is that as a job, it is VITAL to understand the BUSINESS aspects of the industry ( my major error was ignoring this fact )...........Bon Jovi, as much as I dispise his music, is a smart businessman....All songwriting credits go to him, and his entire long term band are actually treated as employees, well paid ones, but employees non the less..............interesting thread.............

Archived