Gibson Brands Forums

Safe to tune SG std in open E - twisted neck?

Kzin

I have heard that it´s not that uncommon for SG´s to get twisted necks. Is it safe to tune my SG std in open E tuning without risking any neck damage?

Is there a bigger risk if I change between tunings a couple of times on the same day, or is it safer to tune it to open E and let it stay that way for a couple of days before tunig back?

I confess I am no expert but surely, if you are going to do this more than once in a blue moon, you should use a seperate guitar set up for the new tuning because, to be right, the truss rod tension, intonation and so will all need adjusting. Doing all that properly is not the work of moments and not something you want to be constantly going back and forward between.

I have an old strat I´ve used for slide, I would however like an sg for slide. Humbuckers and great upper fret acces. But i guess the strat will do for a while. So many guitars I would like, not enough money..

I have an old strat I´ve used for slide, I would however like an sg for slide. Humbuckers and great upper fret acces. But i guess the strat will do for a while. So many guitars I would like, not enough money..

Don't feel too bad, the majority of us are in the same boat here.

Archived