Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Pickups, on my Dot..which?

Crow

I can't. I wouldn't even call such a guy a "technician". Skilled techs have the experience and tools to re-do semihollow guitars expertly and efficiently. Of course, it would take longer and cost more than a solidbody, but that makes sense. Lots of DIYers are able to do it (me included), so I'd expect a paid tech to be able to do it, too, and do it better.

To the OP: I hope you're enjoying your upgraded Dot. And find a new tech.

I gotta take up for Tony (my experienced technician). Being a friend of mine, knowing my money situation, and knowing the time it would take him,he really didn't want to do it, but would have. It would have been a s**tload more work for him and more money for me. He is a tech and a good one. If I made it sound like he couldn't have done it, my bad. I made the decision based on time and money. I was not prepared to do it myself. After watching a few videos on the subject, I am still not prepared to take it on. We decided to try just the pickups first and see how they sound, then decide if I wanted to go further and change everything. He intentionally put quick connectors on the pups in case we wanted to tackle it later. I like the sound just fine, and I doubt I change the other electronics, either myself or by hiring someone to do it. It is time consuming and I don't have lots of extra time on my hands. I hope you understand.I have other hobbies too :o)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a big smile on me right now Crow....I am so glad that you like / love the up-grade...The apparent 'brightness' is due to you not being used to the clarity of the 57s...I am also glad that other members suggested two 57s as to one 57 and one 57+......Your tone knob now works because the 57s have such a wide 'vocal' range.....

There are many members who are very knowledgable in certain areas, and I look to them for guitar advice....As Fringe Lunatic and others state, on-line advice can be touch and go...

I am very glad that this is an instance where it went well..............

Thanks! Yes there is range in the tone knobs now that didn't used to be there. Clarity is the word I was searching for. I read a little about them myself in other places, and saw that originally the early Gibson guitars shipped with two of the same pickups. I myself see no need for the plus pickup. Plenty hot for me. And with much more Clarity.

My "tech" is the manager of a music store, a great musician, he would have changed everything out if I had asked him to. But he said it would have been much more time consuming. He took my Dot home with him and did the work there after hours. He did a good job, and charge me little. he's an old friend and a good one. He likes the new pups too. His company quit selling Gibson guitars a few years ago, because the quality was lacking and he felt they weren't worth the high dollar price tag attached. And neither did his market customers. He said it didn't used to be that way. But in latter years they were turning out too many guitars per day and he felt the QC was lacking based on unhappy customer. Just his opinion. He owns Gibsons, and has a nice older Epi Sheraton that is gorgeous. But it doesn't play as nice as this Dot. I love this Dot more every day..lol

i got the '57 and '57+ and they enhanced the acoustic sweetness of the Dot. it depends on what you need. on what music you're going to use that guitar. you can always go for Gibson p-ups. i got 57's on my Dot which i gig on Smooth Jazz and Fusion, just for all 'cleans'. i got another semi-hollow with 490s for overdriven tones like Fusion(again), Blues, Jazz-BluesI, and gritty RnB. anything that's not heavily driven,whenever i need some fur. i don't ask them to scream and burn. they're all for singing whispers and moaning.

if I want to scream i go for my 500t.

I can't. I wouldn't even call such a guy a "technician". Skilled techs have the experience and tools to re-do semihollow guitars expertly and efficiently. Of course, it would take longer and cost more than a solidbody, but that makes sense. Lots of DIYers are able to do it (me included), so I'd expect a paid tech to be able to do it, too, and do it better.

To the OP: I hope you're enjoying your upgraded Dot. And find a new tech.

Sometimes the good techs in my area have way too much work. I've had luthiers work on my guitars that were really good. But not too good at estimating their schedule commitments. The one I use now is good and if he doesn't have confidence he can turn the job around in the expected time, he tells me up front. I kind of like that. And if the tech works in a shop that isn't their own they are pressed to maximize the number of jobs per day or week. It's kind of a business decision. (As unromantic as that may sound!)

Archived