Gibson Brands Forums

j45 true vintage, blues machine?

jack asselin

Hi, i'd like some feedbacks on the j45 tv. i tried one at my local dealer and i'm thinkin' about buying it. i own a j45 mc and a sj woody guhtrie and it feels to me like the tv has a more boomy, old country blues sound compared to the other 2,+ it has not open up yet, obviously. i know about the better wood quality ( red spruce and aaa mahogany). I play a lot of old blues and often use a slide, i considered the Robert Johnson but i find it tricky and limiting being a small body and all. i<m a singer songwriter and my music is mostly guitar/voice. i don<t have a lot of money and i have the possibility of trading my two gibbies for the tv + some cash return. The tv sure feels right in my hands and it kinda makes me a better player, i think. So, is it worth it? It'a a big decision to make

If you prefer the TV to the other two, well worth considering getting it. That said though, usually a trade in is a bad idea. A shop needs to make money and won't give you nearly what your two guitars are worth on the open market. If I were in your shoes, I'd put some cash down on the TV to hold it a month or so, and then list the other two on every forum out there. Just my $0.02.

Dennis

If you prefer the TV to the MC, sell the MC privately (and maybe the SJ too, not much point in having all 3) and get the TV. It's a great guitar, but very similar, if not identical, in design to the two you've already got. Take your time and make sure that it does actually sound/play/feel that much different from your others and it's not just the "I want it" factor!

jackasselin:

I've played three new J-45 "True Vintage" guitars in the last year and they were all killer. I think you'd really enjoy that guitar. The "True Vintage" specs are top of the line and every one I've played (and/or owned) has had the classic Gibson sound and feel.

After decades of guitar collecting, my 2010 SJ-200 "True Vintage" is, honestly, the best sounding Gibson I've ever played. That's why I bought it new, after only one brief audition, and it still amazes me every time I pick it up.

Hope your J-45 "True Vintage" sounds as good to you. That Adirondack (Picea rubens) Spruce top should really open up in time too. If you do get it, play it a lot (in good health).

Jack6849

Soundwise, the adi top on the TV can give you a drier, more old-timey sound, which, I suspect, is what you picked up on. That combo (slope J shape, adi top) is favored by contemporary country bluesmen like Paul Geremia and Frank Fotusky. Oth, I've heard nothing but good things about the Woodys and Jorma Kaukonen always sounded fine on his hog/sitka J50. Good luck.

Soundwise, the adi top on the TV can give you a drier, more old-timey sound, which, I suspect, is what you picked up on. That combo (slope J shape, adi top) is favored by contemporary country bluesmen like Paul Geremia and Frank Fotusky. Oth, I've heard nothing but good things about the Woodys and Jorma Kaukonen always sounded fine on his hog/sitka J50. Good luck.

very helpful thanks a whole lot, gonna check them out right now

I was in a similar situation with a J-45 TV recently. I traded two newer Martins (HD28 and D-18V) and bought the TV. I am sure that I took it in the shorts from a money standpoint, but the J-45 TV is such a great guitar that I have not regretted making the move in the least. Money was kinda tight, and like you, I really had an itch for the TV. So now I am down to my 2006 J-45 and the True Vintage. I say go for it, you will not be sorry.

I was in a similar situation with a J-45 TV recently. I traded two newer Martins (HD28 and D-18V) and bought the TV. I am sure that I took it in the shorts from a money standpoint, but the J-45 TV is such a great guitar that I have not regretted making the move in the least. Money was kinda tight, and like you, I really had an itch for the TV. So now I am down to my 2006 J-45 and the True Vintage. I say go for it, you will not be sorry.

Good thing you have no regrets but in fact, you did take it in the shorts. Yikes!

Never really considered the "vintage" slope shoulder Gibson sound as boomy - to me that conjures up images more of a Martin dread.

The best thing about playing the blues - ain't no right or wrong guitar - Ok Taylors may be stretching it a bit but most any guitar will do. I play them blues on a whole lotta of different guitars. They all have different voices and a different feel to them but no matter what guitar I choose it still sounds like me.

So buy a guitar with a body style and neck profile you feel comfortable with and a sound you like. If you like the J-45TV then go for it. And if you play the blues on it then it becomes a "blues machine."

Hey, lots of blues men play larger guitars. Keb Mo has a signature Dreadnaught guitar made by Martin. Many blues men played Jumbo Harmony 1260 Sovereign.......it is not the guitar as much as who is playing it. I've had to learn completely new ways to play archtops, which are completely different beasts than flat tops. So you can wrangle the blues out of about any guitar, and with the J-45 you might be able play a few BEATLES songs too!

The best thing about playing the blues - ain't no right or wrong guitar - Ok Taylors may be stretching it a bit

So buy a guitar with a body style and neck profile you feel comfortable with and a sound you like. If you like the J-45TV then go for it. And if you play the blues on it then it becomes a "blues machine."

Why didn't someone tell John Cephas this? ;)

Archived