Gibson Brands Forums

difference between studio LP and standard LP

schnarz25

Binding keeps the maple cap from falling off the guitar..

Just kidding..........Binding is mostly cosmetic...It will help protect the edges a bit from dings though.......

I'll add more in a bit........and an interesting link that will answer some of your previous questions....................

Binding is the plastic border around the edge of the top and fret board. It costs a bit more to put that on than to leave it off like the Studio. The posotion markers on the Studio are plain dots not big blocks like on other Les Pauls. Also the head stock logo is silk screened on the studio instead of being made from mother of pearl. The pickups will vary from Les Paul Model to Les Paul Model but a Studio will not have chrome covers.

I've got a Studio and even I get get confused about it.

I've got the Studio Prem Plus, which I think has since been discontinued. As far as I know, all mine is missing is a flashy coat of paint, binding, and well....I think that's it. I don't know if anything else separates it from a more "premium" model...There very well could be something, but it's escaping me at the moment.

Binding is the plastic border around the edge of the top and fret board. It costs a bit more to put that on than to leave it off like the Studio. The posotion markers on the Studio are plain dots not big blocks like on other Les Pauls. Also the head stock logo is silk screened on the studio instead of being made from mother of pearl. The pickups will vary from Les Paul Model to Les Paul Model but a Studio will not have chrome covers.

I've got a Studio and a Standard. They both have block fret markers, and they both came with covered pickups.

I probably overpaid for mine. I read threads about what people have paid for theirs these days, as well as threads with opinions that anything over $1,000 is too much for a Studio, but....oh well.

Bought it new in 06, and because it was a "premium plus", I guess that warranted a higher sticker price. I don't know...I certainly have no guilt about it or buyers remorse. That's for sure.

I've seen some prem plus's on ebay going for close to what I paid for mine new, so that's a little comforting.

Schnarz25, this link will answer your questions about chambering and weight relieved Gibson LP bodies, and a bit more info as well.......

http://www.mylespaul...-paul101-a.html

( go to the 101 section)....

Most LP Studios are meant to be 'affordable' LPs....Most have chambered bodies with a mahogany top, and 'faded finishes..The 'faded' finishes are less expensive to produce..These run for $799 'street'...

You can upgrade for $500 for 'painted' finishes..You can also 'upgrade' to a maple cap....Musician's Friend has an exclusive Studio in 'satin white' for $899.00 'street price....nice guitar...

Gibson Standards are now all chambered, except for the Standard Traditional, which is 'weight relieved.'......read the link provided.....

I own a Gibby Studio LP in faded brown...nice guitar, simple, good looking...I own a Gibby LP Standard; mine is unique though...I also own a Standard TRADITIONAL plus Gibby LP, which is closest to what

I consider a "classic" LP.....I also own many Epi LPs....all are nice guitars.....The pickups vary on them; you will want to 'study' the differences in what the pickups are, and why they are different.......

Hope this helps a bit........................

Archived