Gibson Brands Forums

Using superglue on the nut

Sproggie

The nut is cut a tad deep on the top e string of my 339. I once read about using a small spot of superglue in the bottom of the slot. Anyone tried this? Does it work? It is playing well apart from the e string sometimes falls of the fret but from what I've read this is common. It is annoying though.

I believe I got this tip from Dan Erlewein (sp) out of a StewMac "how-to" article, and have used it with very good results:

Mix baking powder with Super Glue to make a paste, press into nut slot, allow to dry, file as needed.

This "paste" will be easier to work with than the liquid, and the results are amazing. For some chemical reason, Super Glue mixed with baking powder seem to make concrete. Experiment (practice) with the mixture, procedure, drying times and workability on the workbench and/or waste material before trying it on the guitar itself.

Good luck.

Better idea, imho: File off some fine bone particles from a nut or bridge you're not using. Fill the string slot with these particles, add a drop of superglue, and let it set for approx 30 minutes. You now can re-cut the slot to the proper height. I've done this many times with excellent results.

Archived